dental night guard/ Lanie

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tapmom, Aug 26, 2002.

1. tapmom

tapmom New Member

On Lanie's post on her dental work, the subject of teeth grinding came up. I wanted to start a new topic so that Lanie and all would see it. I use something called the doctor's night guard. It is available at Walmart and others for about 24 dollars. I don't know how this compares to the $$$ ones you get at the dentist, but has worked very well for me. I believe it has saved many of my teeth.
  2. tapmom

tapmom New Member

On Lanie's post on her dental work, the subject of teeth grinding came up. I wanted to start a new topic so that Lanie and all would see it. I use something called the doctor's night guard. It is available at Walmart and others for about 24 dollars. I don't know how this compares to the $$$ ones you get at the dentist, but has worked very well for me. I believe it has saved many of my teeth.
  3. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Tapmom.
    Is the guard hard or soft? Most dentist make a hard acrylic guard, but after seeing an oral surgeon who specialized in TMJ, he recommended a soft pliable guard for me since I really don't have TMJ but I do have myofascial pain disorder and when I clench my entire face gets sore. The dentist made this rubbery guard but he charged my insurance $200. I tried a sports mouthpiece but it was so bulky for my little mouth. No matter what you all use, the mouthpieces really do save your teeth from fractures and mine keeps the pain down to a minimum.
    Tania
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

My night guard was made by an orthodontist and is hard. It cost me $250. and took about 3 months of painful adjustments a couple times per week to get used to, but now I cannot lie down even for a short nap without it, or the pain is unbearable. The orthodontist told me the soft ones are useless because they don't correct bite maloclussions which cause the pain. Are the Walmart ones soft? I might try one, since I live in fear of losing or breaking the one I have and not being able to sleep. Also a tip for those of you with the hard ones: take them to the dentist with you when you get your teeth cleaned and ask to have them autoclaved. It gets most of that dingy stain off of them, and the dentist won't charge for it.
    Klutzo
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

If you have pets, be sure they don't get your guard. If its anything like dentures, animals seem to love them!

My husband just got his dentures, and he almost lost them to the dog, dentist told my husband, that dogs and cats, love to chew on them!

So be sure when not in use to keep well out of your furry friends reach.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. Lanie

Lanie New Member

But unfortunately my dentist said the same thing that Klutzo's did. The soft one will not benefit me. I used to have a professional soft one as I used to grind my teeth when I was a teen as well. Lost it when I moved. A couple years ago I got one from Kmart and it dug my gums up. I didn't have FM back then, but now since I do and I am hurting so much and grinding as well, she wants me to have the hard acrylic TMJ Appliance.

Thanks again for suggestion. You are very thoughtful.
    Lanie
  7. Heidi

Heidi New Member

Just want to thank all of you for the above comments...I'm just getting a new mouthguard ...my 3rd hard one...invaluable for good sleep but I was hoping that I could get a soft one this time. this will help me have a better conversation with my dentist.
    Heidi
  8. brightlights

brightlights New Member

I bought one at my doctors office for about $500 years ago. It was a hard kind.

I lost it, and didn't want to pay for another, but I realized that I couldn't do without one, so I went in about 6 months ago and got a new one. This one is much softer than my old one on the inside, but still hard on the outside.

Thanks for the pointer to this kind. I am going to buy one, for those days that I can't remember where I put my good one. I'm afraid that sometimes I get up in the middle of the night, and I take it out while in such a fog that I can't remember where it is. This cheaper version can help me out.

Sandra
  9. tapmom

tapmom New Member

It is soft and you fit it to yourself. It comes in sizes and you can trim it and mold it to your needs. I hope someone is helped with this info. The nightguard has been such a help to me. Do a google search for it and see what it looks like.