Dental problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nikki, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Nikki

Nikki Member

Has anyone else had a problem with novacain? I have always needed much more novacain than the average person. During my last root canal, my dentist numbed me up . . . or so he thought . . . then waited awhile for the novacain to take effect. He returned, only to find the area he supposedly numbed up was not the least bit numb. He finally concluded that my nerves were not located where they normally should be located. He ended up going directly through the tooth. He's always telling me I'm a high maintenance patient . . . altho, I think I'm better than the average bear that sits in the corner (I'm really dating myself . . . if you know where that saying comes from, I'm dating you, too. LOL.)

Anyone else had problems like this?

2. Nikki

Nikki Member

Has anyone else had a problem with novacain? I have always needed much more novacain than the average person. During my last root canal, my dentist numbed me up . . . or so he thought . . . then waited awhile for the novacain to take effect. He returned, only to find the area he supposedly numbed up was not the least bit numb. He finally concluded that my nerves were not located where they normally should be located. He ended up going directly through the tooth. He's always telling me I'm a high maintenance patient . . . altho, I think I'm better than the average bear that sits in the corner (I'm really dating myself . . . if you know where that saying comes from, I'm dating you, too. LOL.)

Anyone else had problems like this?

3. kristine

kristine New Member

...before i had fm and cfs, you couldn't even find tylenol in my house....i have read that for the novacaine resistance, it could be that our pain receptors are in over-drive and that makes us feel a kind of 'amplified' pain compare to a normal person...kristine
  4. sb439

sb439 New Member

... novocain works well for me for numbing, but makes me anxious and gives me (bearable) pain in my face for quite some time afterwards. I've got CFIDS with v. little FM - just wondered whether FM-ers perhaps don't numb, whereas CFIDS-ers get anxious? Just a wild hypothesis ...

Susanne

ps: hope you didn't have to endure too much pain!!!

pps: there are alternatives to novocain on the market, my present dentist gave me something (starts with "pr..." I believe, darn short term memory), and heyho, I wasn't anxious at all afterwards, nor any facial pain.
  5. azcrum

azcrum New Member

Just this past year I have had a molar pulled and a root canal done and both times, he had to stop and give me more novacain. I could feel it. This is the first time this has happened to me. Also, if I get novacain I can't sleep that night. It's like I am on overdrive.
  6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Both my sons, and their father, always have trouble at the dentist office, when they try to numb areas. It takes for ever, and sometimes they just have to sit through it and bear it, because it won't work.
    Karen
  7. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Was it prylocain?

I have to see my dentist this coming Monday, he is very knowledgeable on Fibro, I will ask him.

Jaci
  8. sb439

sb439 New Member

"prylocain" sounds like it could well have been it, but I honestly can't remember. Will ask my dentist next time.
    love,
    Susanne
  9. karen55

karen55 New Member

Nikki, I loved your reference to Yogi! :)
    Ever since I was a child, it took MUCH more novacaine to numb my mouth. When I had a wisdom tooth cut out, the dentist told my mom he had given me so much gas I should have been unconscious, but I was still in his chair, fidgeting, quite alert, nervous, and still feeling everything. I need a lot of dental work done now and I have a huge fear of dentists because somewhere in my mind I equte going to the dentist with pain, and that's not something I can deal with right now.
  10. Nikki

Nikki Member

I just love this board...............

I am one of the fortunate ones who has a very kind & gentle dentist . . . even tho he does think I'm high maintenance. He says his wife is high maint., too . . . so he seems to understand my fear.

Nikki (aka BooBoo)
  11. Dara

Dara New Member

since I was a teen-ager the dentists have all had a problem getting me numb. One dentist told me my nerves were crossed. Novocaine, I can't take anymore, makes me break out in a cold sweat and my heart beats like crazy.

Dara
  12. teach6

teach6 New Member

When my second son was born, all 10+ pounds of him, my doc kept trying to numb the episiotomy. I told him I could feel every stitch he was taking. Finally he gave me morphine because the novacaine, or lidocaine, or whatever caine it was didn't work! I am still trying to figure out how long I've had these syndromes! That was 23 1/2 years ago.

Barbara
  13. nancyneptune

nancyneptune New Member

Novocaine gives me panic. So my dentist uses the other junk which doesn't work as well. I went the other day just to have fillings replaced with composite instead of the mercury ones. He gives me the shot in three places waits afew minutes and starts drilling. I feel everything. He doesn't care and keeps right on going. He sighs huge sighs of disgust whenever I go to him, cuz I'm so high maintenance. He hurt my neck bad that day pressing so hard on my tooth with that drill and filling stuff. He's done. No more of that guy.
  14. NancyAnn

NancyAnn New Member

This is really interesting! I had a filling done about a month ago. My dentist was astounded that the novacain that should have numbed me for 3 hours lasted less than 45 minutes. She thought that my metabolism must be in high gear to handle the pain medications I'm taking for my fibro. My dentist teaches at the dental college here in Portland, OR. She told me that I "wore off" faster than any other patient she has had in her office. I told my rheumotologist about it and he noted it on my charts. It seems my body does everything at high speed. My pulse races (I'm taking calcium channel blocker to slow it down), my pain medications don't last near as long as it does for other people, and, now, novacain doesn't last long. Seems like our bodies are high speed inside. I laugh about this cause I move in slow motion and become exhausted just doing that at snail pace. I also crave carbs like crazy. I read that it may be due to our bodies needing seratonin. I sure hope they find a reason and treatment for this stuff before I pass on to the Pearly Gates!
  15. dlizard

dlizard New Member

ask which one you got... I don't get much numbing from either... I've tried carbocaine, lidocaine, xylocaine and lido with epi. I've had all kinds of oral reactions to all of them including sloughing off of the entire tissue of my mouth from blisters at injection sites... and I NEVER get numb... my dentist calls me a challenge and treats me much better than my medical docs and he sedates me so I don't know much about what is going on.... and I Love~ him! Good luck!
  16. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I guess I have the opposite problem, my dentist used to give me what seemed like way too much novacaine. In reality, it was probably a normal dose, but I'd be anxious, nauseous, heart-pounding and numb for many hours after the procedure was over. Then he got carbocaine, & it was perfect. You definitely have to wait longer to "numb up" but no anxiety, etc. & wears off just when you'd want it to.... Just like with other meds, we are all so different in our reactions to dental anesthetics, sounds like most of us have dentists who understand us pretty well, though....even if we are "high maintenence" (and isn't that why they charge those high fees, anyway??)!!

Pam