Dental work and flares and blowing up in smoke.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manwithfibro, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

Those of you familiar, I was fired from a really stressful job recently and
    now have found out that the stress caused 9 cavities in my mouth. 2 needed root canals and 2 needed crowns. All told, $3500 or so in work. Just what I needed when I am unemployed. I swear when it rains it pours.
    Also, had one root canal done today and my body now is flaring bigtime.
    What the connection is I don't know. Every single time this happens, I flare.

I feel like you need to be wealthy just to live middle class. It is insane.

Hope you are doing better than me. TC
  2. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Wow!!! You are right, what a disappointment.... Do you have meds for your flare?

I am sorry you have to go through this. I am currently going through tests to find out what is wrong with my digestive system.

Today was the endoscopy. Next week the MRI and a CT Scan with contrast. That is the one I dread, drinking the solution.

I hope since you are not working you are starting to relax your body and get some decent rest. Sometimes when I used to have a bad flare if I would take Alka Seltzer it would help alot, I don't know why but it did.

My brother was fired from his job of 12 years in December. He has fibro, CFS and degenerative disc disease in neck and shoulders. He drove a truck and the job was very difficult for him.

He is now applying for disability. I hope he gets it, but I understand you always get turned down the first time.

Are you feeling any better??????

3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

you getting fired helped you out...it sounds like...now to the teeth problems...

i never heard that stress causes tooth decay...go for a second opinion....lack of flossing in between the teeth will cause it....and not brushing...

but the root canals...are needed usually due to injury to the tooth and bacteria gets in there kills out the nerve...and looking at your age it is not uncommon to see the crowns to begin...

do you clinch or grind your teeth? this can cause roots to die...mouth guard will help...

it doesn not have a darn thing to do w/fibro cfs.....etc...

yes the stress of getting the work done and the money to shell out is stressfull...so that for me equals flares...

i live in the san francisco area...so i know about you really need to be making like 250k just to live nice...

hugs

jodie
  5. Empower

Empower New Member

I have FMS and CFS

I am in the same boat as you, cavities, cavities, root canals, root canals.

Anyway, after my last root canal, I just crashed all afternoon.

I think it was the position I was in in the chair and the sheer stress of the procedure.

Hope you feel better!
  6. BethM

BethM New Member

Dental work of any kind, other than cleaning, sends me into a flare. (I have fibro) I need to have two crowns replaced, and just dread the whole process. I'm starting a new job tomorrow (part time, will start a second part timer in September), so can't afford a flare right now!

yuck. getting to the point where I really hate going to doctors and dentists!

Hugs and positive thoughts to you, TC. I hope things settle down for you soon.

Peace,
    Beth.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/15/2006]
  7. pam_d

pam_d New Member

My father-in-law passed away, I was dx'd with leukemia, and then my own father passed away (& I was hospitalized so couldn't attend funeral a few states away), all within a three month period this past spring. It almost became comical---what more could possibly go wrong? I agree that for some reason, when it rains, it pours...and as one who's been out of work (due to leukemia---and I was the health insurance provider in my family) I can so relate about your comment...middle class isn't what it used to be.

I feel like I have bad karma, so it may not mean much, but I am certainly going to say prayers for you & hope your situation improves. Can you finance the dental work at all, so you can pay over time? Dentists are usually pretty good about this...

Anyway, accept a big hug, and I hope the flare & economic stuff passes, and things look brighter soon. You deserve much better than this!

Hugs,
    Pam
  8. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

It has been a horrible year for me, too.
    Hope it turns around.
  9. jole

jole Member

Hey, TC, the dentist is my worst enemy, so I understand. I dread going, dread paying, and dread getting home for the flare. They're not fun.

Pam, the little thing about bad karma and not knowing if your prayers will help or not - - wow! that's me! Nothing else goes right, so....

Friends~
  10. pam_d

pam_d New Member

...is fight on. Seems we should be able to spread a little good karma around eventually!

A better day to everyone,
    Pam
  11. Daisys

Daisys Member

This last relapse was caused by getting my teeth cleaned. I got a shot because she wanted to do deep cleaning. (I doubt that I really needed it, but my insurance covered it) When she gave me the shot, my jaw froze until the shot wore off. I left feeling sick and have been ever since.

Later I had to have a root canal done on that side of my mouth. I was tested positive for EBV reactivation, and wonder if the infection could've been EBV. I asked to have a culture of it for ID, but they said there was no need and it could've been any bacteria that got in.

And I always leave with a flare of back pain. The dentist swears he got the best chairs for supporting the back, but I just can't sit that still for that long without a lot of pain.

On a positive note, I switched to toothpaste with xylitol and no flouride. It seems to keep my mouth cleaner. I'm even using xylitol as my sugar in cooking nowadays. Hopefully, it'll help with the candida issue. The avoidance of flouride is because it competes with thyroid hormone, and my thyroid is underactive as it is.

I agree with you about the high cost of being middle class--especially middle class with Fibro!