Dentists

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by darude, Mar 11, 2006.

1. darude

darude New Member

If you need a tooth pulled what do they use to numb the pain? Also anyone had bad reactions?
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I haven't seen you as much lately....my kids have just had good old fashioned novocaine for tooth extractions. No bad reactions- just the usual fat lip! Terri
  3. maris

maris New Member

darude,
    I used to be a dental nurse for more that twenty years. I'm now retired from the profession. But two years ago the protocol for local anesthesa was lidocaine 2%.
    It can at times speed up heart beats for a few moments, then it returns to normal. Not harmful, but can minic anxiety.

If lidocaine in contraindicated, carbocaine can be used, it does not have same racy heart effect.

There are other local anesthetics that I am not familiaiar with.
    I hope this is helpful to you.

Maris
  4. darude

darude New Member

Left it too long another tooth broke at gumline. Two other root canals broke at gumline. So Dental surgery tomorrow and I feel awful so no fun there.
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

but when my fibro was mild,novocaine didn't bother me.I had one shot a couple of weeks ago that about sent me through the ceiling.I was very dizzy afterwards too.Good luck on your trip.Linda
  6. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Dentists use several different types of numbing angents. Most are lidocaine and some have epinephren{ sp} This helps to slow any bleeding. They have some that does not contain any epi. AS some people are alergic to it. And it can cause reactions to heart medicataitons.

I don't remember all of the different types of anethsthic there are . AFter all it has been 7 years since I worked for a dentist. But I do remember that we did not use novocaine at all, it was lidocaine, and other types of anesthics. Some people react to it and others just don't like the feeling of being numb so they would rather not have any anesthic used on them, Me I don't like any pain so I have it used.

I hope that it helps with your question.
    Rosemarie
  7. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Hope it goes okay for you tomorrow. Let us know how you are doing? I hope you heal up really fast and that everything goes fine.
    ((love)) Shannon
  8. darude

darude New Member

Will let you know tomorrow if i can