Denture wearers please Does anyone have implants for dentures?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ckball, Aug 9, 2007.

1. ckball

ckball New Member

Those that know me know I have had a heck of a year with having 23 teeth pulled Sept 06. I had lots of problems, I have a deformed jaw bone and healing issues.

I bought a package that gave me a temp set of dentures until the bone settles in, then I get the final pair. I am finally there. I went to the dentist today and he gave me a new soft liner until I decided if I want to do the implants in the bone that the denture snaps into.

When I had my teeth pulled the dental asst had full dentures with the implants, she actually took her teeth out and showed me. So I have been set on doing this, have the money set aside but now I'm getting cold feet.

After doing some researching I am concerned about infection and healing, since healing is an issue for me now I am afraid I will put all this money in my mouth and the implants won't take. Healthy bones are a requirement and I had a bone scan recently that showed arthritis in my jaws.

My Dentist doesn't do the implants and he said everyone that has them said they wished they would have done it sooner. The one thing I hate, yes hate, is taking them out because I have to use a lot of adhesive to hold the lowers in place because of the bone, wider at the bottom, narrow at the top. The adhesive and removing it irritates my gums and tears the corners of my mouth while trying to scrape the goop out.

With this all being said does anyone have the implants or know someone that has them. Sorry for going on so long but now not so sure I want to do this-Carla
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I do not have dentures, but I have just had an implant for one tooth.

It was a piece of cake. If you have had teeth pulled, this is a nothing procedure.

As far as healing, the only thing to heal is the cut gum. I was given an antibiotic to take for a week and a antibacterial rinse to use twice a day. The gum healed without pain, practically, and now all that has to happen is for the implant to finish adhereing to my bone.

My ex-husband has had dentures since he was 18 years old...he just turned 60. The last time I saw him, because of the bone loss from all the years, his speech was affected. I'm going to have my youngest son talk to him about an implant that should keep his dentures in more tightly. That will help him in many ways, I'm sure.

Just wanted to reply about the implant process and my ex's dentures. For my money, it would be the way to go, hands down.

Just my two cents.

PS...My husband has two dental implants and they have been wonderful.

Another cent's worth...!

3. ckball

ckball New Member

Thanks for the info, but I have found out because of my osteo in my jaws that the bone may not be healthy enough to hold the inplants.

I had my teeth pulled and dentures made at a Afforadable Dentures in PA, where my daughter lives so she could take care of me if there were problems, she was off work recovering from carpel tunnel, so it worked out.

Then my records where switched to a WV Affordable office. Each office is independenatly owned and do not all offer the same services. Didn't know that at the time. The WV doesn't do the implants. So I would have to go to another place which is way out of my price range. The AD office in PA does them for $1200 for the lower one a one peice unit. The dentist I spoke to here charges $1500 PER screw and I would need 4-6 screws.

I could go back to the PA office but the osteo kind of blew that. Such is life.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Carla
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

they can do a bone build up w/cadavor bone...but there are no guarantees on any of the procedures.

i would go for a couple of local consultations or a university nearby may be less expensive.

good luck in your decision process.

5. fivesue

fivesue New Member

In one of my husband's implant, his bone was not quite thick enough. I though they had used bone from another part of his body or something, but he said they just squirted something in on top of his gum.

I think he had to wait until it bonded or something, and then he had the implant done.

Implants are does not cover them now, but I feel in the future they will...just like any new thing.

Checking out a dental school might be a good option.

Hope it all works out well for you.