Denyed SSDI 2-5 and now Doc. says maybe I ought to try finding a

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Betty50victor, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

job in another field. Now, if that don't beat ALL! I had dr. appt. today (internal medicine doc cause rhume just keeps telling me "Yes you have fibro....What do you want me to do now?") Talk about being fed up!
    My Doc. knows that my hands stiffen up when I try to do anything with them, can't stand for longer than 10-15 minutes, arms hurt and feel swollen doing the smallest task, can't walk more than half a block without major pain and if I sit longer than 15-20 minutes I get very stiff and it's hard to get up and try to walk. So, do you think that was fair of him to tell me to go back to work? I was a machinist/off. mgr. (jack of all trades at shop) for 25+ yrs. He knows, first hand, how much my body hurts. He checked pressure points in shoulders, neck, chest, etc. All very painful! But, when he pushed on the outer sides of both my hips at the same time....(we were standing, me in front of him) It was SOOO painful that I fell back against him, my sunglasses flew off my head and he had to physically help me sit down. He asked, get this, if it hurt and if I was ok................................DUH
    Well, I started crying, which I don't like to do, and told him that's why I'm sooooooooooo depressed, duh! I asked him how he'd feel if his life and independance was taken from him. Well, as I was giving him one hell of a time, while crying, he just sat there and was mostly looking down. It was weird, cause when I finally composed myself he looked up and his eyes were red. Guess he really cared but he kept saying that there must be something I could do.
    Sorry this is so long, But, I needed to tell someone and you are all I have. No one is really interested in this crap. Believe me, I know. No one ever calls me anymore. Thanks God I have my doggie cause I know what I'd do, in a heart beat, if I didn't have him to depend on me. I adopted him last June and the timing couldn't have been better. For me and for him.
    Ok, guess I'll close for now.I'm gonna appeal the SSDI because I can't imagine working for longer than maybe an hr. or 2, but I don't know at what. Seriously, I wish I had cancer or some other "well known disease" than at least I know that I could get help from somewhere and not have to FIGHT for disability.
    Ok, again, bye....................Betty
  2. Tattoopixie

Tattoopixie New Member

Don't let the B@st@rds get you down! It seems were are all having some bad luck w/SSDI this month! Must be their budget month or something! I just got my denial letter today (1st time denied). I am going to get a lawyer & let them do the work - heck if I have to pay them 25% of my back pay they can do the struggle for me! I figure it's worth it if I don't have to go through all the hoops again. I actually got so far as to having to have a psych exam at SSDI's request. No, they say I am not depressed. Yeah-that's why I go see a psychiatrist every month...that's why I waited on a list for 6mos to get a counselor, only to find he thinks he can cure my FMS w/counseling (I quit after I realized this)...Last year I was suicidal & got an emergency appt w/a psychiatrist I had never been to that deemed me to be at such a high risk that he got me immediate counseling after my appt w/him that same day!
    Lord, love a duck!!! Hang on, girl, cause we are all going down the same road! Just grit your teeth & hang on when you hit those darn bumps!
    Pixie
  3. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

This was my first denial also. I did see the ssd's doc and psychiatrist. All I know is that they said that I can do my normal????????? activities, SO, I can work. I guess I'll get a lawyer and hopefully that helps. I'm also getting letters from mom, a friend, sister, brother and I'm gonna give-em another one from me. All I can do is hope. Seems that's all we have left to do. Doe suck, though, that we have to fight, tooth and nail, for help.
    Well, I'll keep everyone updated "whenever" I hear anything, good or bad.
    Thanks again.........Hugs, Betty
  4. cyberamy

cyberamy New Member

I'm soo sorry and I most certainly feel your pain. I feel the same way about this damn invisable illness. At least cancer pts get sympathy and acknowledged for their illness. I've sometimes thought this exact same thing , but just hang in there and know we are here for you and you will have better days. (((HUGS)))take care,
    Amy
  5. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I feel so bad for you right now. I know how it is for you with severe pain in your hip area and hating to even be touched let a lone being pushed on. I have a very good friend who is a Nurse. She works in our Internal medicine clinic in town and is trying to talk me into seeing one of her Doctors. She explained to me in our town/ area at least that the Rheumo is so busy with all of the athritis patients. And that in internal medicine they have more time to help people with internal pain. I truly think that you should either search the web for your area of internal medicine Doctors and see if any of them specialize in womans health. That is what I have done and I am right now in limbo about what to do but I think I will if I change Doc's go see ours for womans health.
    I know your flustration about SS Disability and how Doctor's think they have the answers but as i have expressed before keep appealing. That is all one can do. And you are fighting this disease so you obviously have the strength to fight our system. I am on my second time around fighting them. Keep your chin up and know we are all here for you. Most of us know how you feel. It is terribly emotional. I wish you a lot of luck and keep trying and just take one day at a time okay.Bless your heart.
    Love,
    Joannie
  6. jka

jka New Member

my rhyumy has me on a new treatment called mirapex. only two docs in country trying it right now.i ve had good results with it.also take alprazalam at nite for sleep.before going on mirapex my doc had been telling me to quit work. i only work part time. at elementary school. told him it was the only thing keeping me sane!i still have some bad days- but good ones are coming more often. restless legs are gone, fibro fog is better, i dont run into walls or furniture anymore,sleep better at nite and have less pain. some days i dont even have to take any pain meds.you might talk to your doc about these drugs. they are still on a trial program.my rhyumy has had a high rate of sucess with it.

hoping & praying for u
    kathy c
  7. danisue22

danisue22 New Member

Hi Betty, I'll share what happened to me as it may help you. Before I Got my disability I was seeing a Rhuemy that said I could do Non-Plyically demanding work.When I ask hm what that might be ,he said He did'nt know I'd have to see some one that messured that sort of thing.So I went to Voc Rehab because there was no way I could do anything. They put me through a 10 day work evaluation and when they could see that I could'nt do anything employable they also helped me fill out the SSDI papers . Good luck to you. This is very hard but hang in there you'll win in the end.GodBless Danisue.
  8. Betty50victor

Betty50victor New Member

respond to my "long" post. Just wish I had someone who I could "actually" hug. But, oh well.............
    Thanks again
    Love and Hugs, betty
  9. dacer

dacer New Member

ID YOUR ATTORNEY FILE THE FIBRO SECTION PAPERS?? ON YOUR APPEAL MAKE SURE YOU ASK TO SEE THE JUDGE IN PERSON TO APPEAR AT THE HEAR ING THAT IS HOW I FINALLY GOT MINE CFIDS AND FIBRO DPRESSION. ALSO GET MORE THAN ONE DOC STATEMENT I WENT TO THREE DOCS AND TOLD THEM, TELL ME WHAT I HAVE, AND IF YOU FIND SOMETHING WRITE ME A STATEMNT LETTER FOR MY DISABILITY HEARING, ALL OF THEM SAID THE SAME THING AFTER TESTING AND EXAMS, AND WROTE THE LETTERS FOR ME, TELL THEM WHAT YOU WANT. GOT TO A DOC THAT TREATS FIBRO. KEEP PUSHING THEM ASK QUESTIONS, A LOT OF DOCS DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO AND WONT ADMIT IT. I WENT TO A TOTAL OF 16 DOCS AND SHRINKS THERE WAS ONE WHO SAID I HAD ALLERGIES AND THAT WAS WITHOUT ANY BLOOD TESTS, JUST SITTING THERE IN HIS OFFICE, WHAT A CROCK. KEEP YOURSELF INFORMED AND TELL THE DOCS WHAT YOU FIND. LOWER YOUR STRESS LEVEL IN ANY WAY YOU CAN. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GOOD ATTORNEY AND ALWAYS KEEP ON THE ATT, ASK WHAT HE OR SHE IS DOING AT ALL TIMES. P.S. WHEN I WENT TO MY HEARING IN FRONT OF THE JUDGE TROUGH THE APPEAL, HE STARTED BY SAYIN THERE IS NO WAY I AM GOING TO GIVE YOU DISABILITY AND 45 MINUTES LATER HE WAS LOOKING FOR THE AREA TO PUT ME IN THE DISABLED GROUP. HAVE WINTESSES TO TESTIFY, AND DO YOUR HOMEWORK, AND THE PEOPLE THE SOC SEC SEND YOU TO ALWAYS SAY THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU THAT IS THIER JOB TO DENY YOU.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/12/2003]