DePaul University in Chicago doing a study .....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dojomo, Oct 22, 2002.

1. dojomo

dojomo New Member

I called a phone number in the local paper for a study being conducted by Depaul University on CFS...

A psychologist returned my call and started explaining the study and that it was on Cognitive therapy......She was a very compassionate and concerned doctor that seemed to really understand our suffering.

Needless to say I was disappointed and upset that YET another study dealing with Cognitvie therapy..... I asked her what makes her study different than the last 25 studies on cognitive therapy ?

She felt that there were inconsistencies in other studies and she thinks this study will show it is more benefical and cognitive therapy is really helpful in improving quality of life.

Even tho she seemed compassionate to our plight...I told her she was only hurting our cause and that more pathological studies is what we need.

I told her I was too sick to participate in her study....( would have to drive downtown Chicago several times a month).........And that all she would get to participate is HIGH functioning CFS patients...in which Cognitive therapy may help some...........And when studies like hers are published......it hurts people like me. Because when I go to a doctor he will believe this would work for me.

I rambled a bit about infections and smoke and mirror research and cover-ups that were going on, and how debilitating this illness is...and she has heard all of them, she seemed concerned..but after all she is in the psychology department of DePaul. She agrees pathological studies are needed.

I told her how doctors are treating us and that if she wanted to help...study them and find out why they are so resistant to accepting the fact that WE ARE SICK !!

I also referred her to this message board and told her if she wants to know how much suffering we do...read some of our posts...she has heard of this board and plans to come check it out. I told her we were 10,000 strong.. and sick of the runaround.

I told her...if there are people TOO sick for Cognitive therapy...then not only do we have a bigger problem at hand...but if she doesn't include those that can't participate in her study... than her study is inaccurate and flawed.

If your interested in the study.( I Hope not)..or expressing your view of this study...here is the number. They offer $150 at the end and some medical work-up...( does not look for viruses.)

Dr Susan Torres Harding.......773-325-4628.

...........DJ
    [This Message was Edited on 10/23/2002]
  2. dojomo

dojomo New Member

I called a phone number in the local paper for a study being conducted by Depaul University on CFS...

A psychologist returned my call and started explaining the study and that it was on Cognitive therapy......She was a very compassionate and concerned doctor that seemed to really understand our suffering.

Needless to say I was disappointed and upset that YET another study dealing with Cognitvie therapy..... I asked her what makes her study different than the last 25 studies on cognitive therapy ?

She felt that there were inconsistencies in other studies and she thinks this study will show it is more benefical and cognitive therapy is really helpful in improving quality of life.

Even tho she seemed compassionate to our plight...I told her she was only hurting our cause and that more pathological studies is what we need.

I told her I was too sick to participate in her study....( would have to drive downtown Chicago several times a month).........And that all she would get to participate is HIGH functioning CFS patients...in which Cognitive therapy may help some...........And when studies like hers are published......it hurts people like me. Because when I go to a doctor he will believe this would work for me.

I rambled a bit about infections and smoke and mirror research and cover-ups that were going on, and how debilitating this illness is...and she has heard all of them, she seemed concerned..but after all she is in the psychology department of DePaul. She agrees pathological studies are needed.

I told her how doctors are treating us and that if she wanted to help...study them and find out why they are so resistant to accepting the fact that WE ARE SICK !!

I also referred her to this message board and told her if she wants to know how much suffering we do...read some of our posts...she has heard of this board and plans to come check it out. I told her we were 10,000 strong.. and sick of the runaround.

I told her...if there are people TOO sick for Cognitive therapy...then not only do we have a bigger problem at hand...but if she doesn't include those that can't participate in her study... than her study is inaccurate and flawed.

If your interested in the study.( I Hope not)..or expressing your view of this study...here is the number. They offer $150 at the end and some medical work-up...( does not look for viruses.)

Dr Susan Torres Harding.......773-325-4628.

...........DJ
    [This Message was Edited on 10/23/2002]
  3. SharonR

SharonR New Member

You go DJ, I couldn't have thought of a more appropriate retort myself. I for one will not be participating.
    Going to a new Dr.in Shaumburg, scheduled for Dec 15, will let you know how it goes.
    I feel like Elizabeth Taylor trying to find the right husband.
    Smiles
    SharonR
  4. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

I applaud your stance and hope it gave her food for thought.

Thanks for the funny Sharon!
  5. dojomo

dojomo New Member

SharonR.....good luck with your appointment? Anyone we know?...I'm anxious to know how it goes and if you found a good one...I have a doctor.. but like all the others...dosen't know squat about it.
    Please let us know how it goes......DJ
  6. idiotsinc

idiotsinc New Member

For many of us, there seems to be a direct connection between FMS, CFS, ADHD and others disorders of the frontal lobe of the brain. Father Troll has been helped greatly with his CFS through treatments he has been taking that help him with his cognitive therapy. He's seen immense improvement. Unfortunately many people, including doctors, don't know the difference between psychology and neuropsychology. It's a neurological not a psychological probelm that may be causing our pain because our brain won't shut down and let us get restful sleep. I'm sorry that you feel that the researcher is hurting your cause but for those of us that "fit the profile" she could do a lot to help us.