Dependency with Klonopin

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rockyjs, Jan 24, 2007.

1. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I have a friend with brain white matter disease (originally diagnosed as MS but now attributed to Lyme) who has had sleep issues for years. She's tried all the aids like Lunesta, Ambien, etc but they don't work consistently.

The only thing she's found that really works is Klonopin and she thought she could just take it on an as-needed basis, but she has a rebound effect even after a couple consecutive nights if she skips a dose.

Does anyone use it intermittently or does it need to be taken on a regular basis and then weaned off of slowly?

Thanks for any input -

Jan
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have read posts here where people only take it now and then but most of us take it every night. It varies from person to person; some of us are more sensitive if we miss a dose.

She may have to make a decision that in order to get the full benefit of good sleep every night, she will have to take the Klonopin every night and deal with withdrawal if she ever needs to stop the Klonopin.

Love, Mikie
  3. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Thanks Mikie...I think it would be great for her to have several months of really good sleep and see if it helps her neurological symptoms.

Jan