Depressed friends

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by Neill7, May 22, 2003.

1. Neill7

Neill7 New Member

Hello, i am a 25 year old male who has been suffering from depression for many years. Only now am I starting the importance that support could play in my recovery. I would really appreciate if someone out there who has found it difficult to reach out for support properly could get back to me as I find it nearly impossible. I am in therapy and so do not really need advice on wher to get help or anything. Just how to open up and let go all that I hold inside.
  2. manchesterterrier

manchesterterrier New Member

Yes depression is very difficult to handle. You feel so all alone. When you need people the most it seems that is when you push them away. You are not alone. I took prozac weekly last year and it helped tons! I had to go off because I had surgery. I have just started back on the daily prozac and will work my way back to the weekly. It helps alot. The medicine seems to put the world back to reality. I tried Zoloft but it made me too tired and I put pounds on that I didn't need. Therre are different meds for different body needs. Go see a doctor about it so you can get some help.
  3. Rebo221

Rebo221 New Member

I understand where you are coming from. It's hard to reach out for help. Sometimes I wonder if anyone will understand. I find reaching out to those who are depressed is a good way to practice it. Then as you feel comfortable reach out to your family and friends. But remember you might have to educate some of them about this illness. Not everyone knows how to help.
  4. injapan

injapan New Member

I just joined the depression board,and it's really active and interesting. I joined because I'm on a related board on another website--and people really have made progress, simply by typing in their problems or questions or thoughts on the boards. It might sound cheesy, but it's not. People in the same boat can give you concrete ideas on how to combat concrete (or even abstract) problems! It's also pretty satisfying to be able to give someone else an idea from time to time, or to be able to say, "Yeah, I know what you mean" to someone who is in a hard place. You get to know people on the boards after awhile, too. It's kind of like another set of friends...
  5. injapan

injapan New Member

I just joined the depression board,and it's really active and interesting. I joined because I'm on a related board on another website--and people really have made progress, simply by typing in their problems or questions or thoughts on the boards. It might sound cheesy, but it's not. People in the same boat can give you concrete ideas on how to combat concrete (or even abstract) problems! It's also pretty satisfying to be able to give someone else an idea from time to time, or to be able to say, "Yeah, I know what you mean" to someone who is in a hard place. You get to know people on the boards after awhile, too. It's kind of like another set of friends...