Depressed - Job Search

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by justin99, Nov 10, 2008.

1. justin99

justin99 New Member

I hit my lowest point yesterday. I came home from an interview that lasted 2 minutes and when I got home I broke down and cried. I knew going in I was over qualified, but I am trying to do better. I just needed to get my foot in the door. I substitute teach but work is so limited. I have another part-time job working in a hospital as an operator and it is such a miserable place. My co-workers are always at each other's throats. My hard work and good attendance means nothing. I applied for a transfer and my director gave me a bad reference because he and the supervisor can't get those assigned to work on weekends to come in. I am supposed to work it because they refuse to act like managers. I'm penalized because other employees come in when they want, call out all the time, and make cruel remarks. I didn't want to get up this morning. If there is anyone out there with some encouragement, I need to hear it please!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/11/2008]
  2. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

Right now the economy has made the job market a real mess. And most businesses have had to readjust or go out of business.

Sorry that you are having trouble at the hospital. People who are more tenured will usually end up with the better work shift and right now managers are crushed under budget crunches and layoffs and they may not want to deal with employee problems so they rely on people that are reliable like you to take the unwanted shifts.

Remember with the hospital, that if budget crunches hit harder and push comes to shove, they have to have people that show up and the employees who are calling out and showing up when they want to may end up being the first to go-- because they need reliable people like you. It may not look like it now, but remember you got put in those shifts because no one else could reliably do those shifts. The co-workers make remarks because you do the job and thus point out they are not doing theirs. So hold on and with this job will eventually come some tenure.