Depression and anxiety killing a mom & family. Help!

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by kleeharps, Dec 23, 2003.

1. kleeharps

kleeharps New Member

My mother has had extreme anxiety and depression for 2 years. My mother has had doctors diagnose her with Lupus, but said it wasnt a bad case. She is 47 years old and possibly going through pre-menopause. We've been to the emergency room 4 times due to a racing heart, but all tests have come up fine. My mothers seen it all- internists, therapists, psychiatrists, bio-feedback, support groups, accupunturists, even hands on healers. She's tried about 8 different anti-depressants which make her more anxious and doesnt work, and is currently on valium and beta-blockers to slow down her occasional racing heart. My father, the most patient man in the world, reached his breaking point on saturday and packed his bags, leaving only myself to deal with this extreme case. She talks of suicide daily, which her doctors know of. She doesn't leave the house/couch, unless I force her. She describes the feeling like "being under water" and "her mind and her body are seperating". ECT is one step, or this month long rehab place in NJ which costs about $16,000. If anyone has any advise on either one, please let me know. I don't know how much more of this I can deal with. It is mentally eating away at me. Does someone have any suggestions at all of what I can do, even just daily things? She doesnt want to accept the idea that it is not physical thing and it is so frustrating for everyone around her. HELP! -Kristin in NJ
  2. susabar

susabar New Member

The only thing I could recommend , if she has health insurance why not a psychiatric hospital or a psychiatric wing of your local hospital ?? Where is her family doctor during all of this ?? Are her parents still alive ?? There are allot of things that can be done but it usually is a long slow process of trial and error medications, talk therapy etc etc... Has her thyroid been checked?? She needs a full medical exam to rule out any organic disease process.. etc etc... Don't give up on her... it's a terrible thing
    Good luck and prayers to you and family
  3. bobbyray

bobbyray New Member

IT'S HARD LIVING WITH A DEPRESSED PERSON. IT'S NOT JUST HER DISEASE,IT'S THE WHOLE FAMILY'S DISEASE.
    I HOPE SHE IS ON SOME ANTIDEPRESSENTS.
    THIS IS A SERIOUS DISEASE!!!!!!!
    THE FAMILY MUST GET TOGETHER AND MAKE A PACT, TO GET HER HELP,EVEN IF IT'S BEING IN A HOSPITAL FOR A SHORT TIME.
    THERE ARE CHOICES OUT THERE, ASK THE DOCTOR.
    MY SON WENT THROUGH SEVERE DEPRESSION. IT BROKE UP OUR FAMILY BUT I STUCK BY HIM.
    I HAD TO PUT HIM IN THE HOSPITAL FOR ALITTLE WHILE.
    HE IS NOW HAPPY MARRIED,HAS A GREAT JOB,BEAUTIFUL HOME.
    BUT HE MUST BE ON HIS MEDICATION ALL HIS LIFE.
    SO DON'T LET HER SUFFER, SOMEONE TAKE THE FIRST STEP,GET HELP!!!!!!!