Depression from meds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lostsoul62, Jun 19, 2009.

1. lostsoul62

lostsoul62 New Member

My doctor has me on Ciprofloxacin for prostate infection. I started taking it 7 days ago and for the last 5 days I have been abnormally depressed. So I figure because of all the meds I’ve tried and Vicodin and Lorazepam I’ve taken, not the mention all the fast food places I go to when I’m depressed, I might try a raw fruit and Veggie with fresh juice and bottled Cranberry juice. Nothing works so this is the only thing I came up with. It’s not a pure juice fast because that would kill me when all the crap comes to the surface but if I can do this the best I can for a month and take 1 vitamin pill daily it’s got to make me better.
  2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Here's a list of possible side effects from (from the package insert):

CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM: restlessness, dizziness, lightheadedness, insomnia, nightmares, hallucinations, manic reaction, irritability, tremor, ataxia, convulsive seizures, lethargy, drowsiness, weakness, malaise, anorexia, phobia, depersonalization, DEPRESSION, paresthesia, abnormal gait, grand mal convulsion

Especially since your symptoms started a couple of days after you started the Cipro, I think it's most likely that is the cause. I do not think at this point you should be talking to your doctor about clinical depression! Try stopping the Cipro and see what happens.

My mom reacted to an antibiotic once by becoming paranoid - I forget which antibiotic it was, but there it was, listed in the package insert as a possible side effect. Once she stopped the med, her paranoia went away. Thank God the doctor listened to me, instead of prescribing more drugs to deal with her paranoia!

Also, if I were you, I'd ask my doc if he or she would give me a different antibiotic because cipro is potentially quite dangerous. It has a black box warning (which is rarely given), which reads:

Fluoroquinolones, including CIPRO®, are associated with an increased risk of tendinitis and tendon rupture in all ages. This risk is further increased in older patients usually over 60 years of age, in patients taking corticosteroid drugs, and in patients with kidney, heart or lung transplants (See WARNINGS).

I probably wouldn't try a juice fast at this point. They can be quite rough on you. First get rid of your infection, and then take probiotics to help replenish your good bacteria, and start eating healthier, etc.

Good luck -

3. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

I've read your posts before and understand you suffer from bipolar disorder as well as my suggestion to you would be to consult your doctor or at least call the pharmacy and find out if this med could be interferring with you in any way.

I can understand you wouldn't want to be feeling this bad, but it would be hard to recognize on your own (or from well meaning suggestions/opinions here) what is causing the extra depression.

Please take care of yourself, Golden...

4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I wrote this w/o reading all the responses, so a little of it repeats part of someone else's response (sorry), but I think that it is important to know this....

aussiewoman said," There is absolutely no way Cipro can be giving you clinical depression. Impossible." This is a completely untrue statement and it is irresponsible for her to write this. Depression is not something to play around with and being so quick to wrongly dismiss a possible cause is seriously uncool, to say the least.

First of all, almost any medicine is capable of causing depression in some people - the way that people react to meds is somewhat individual, and the way that PWCs react is often very bad and not the same as people w/o CFS/ME react. Any time that someone starts a new med and gets an adverse reaction, he/she has to consider that it could be caused by that med.

Second, the first site I went to online, RX list, included the following as possible CNS side effects:

"CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM: restlessness, dizziness, lightheadedness, insomnia, nightmares, hallucinations, manic reaction, irritability, tremor, ataxia, convulsive seizures, lethargy, drowsiness, weakness, malaise, anorexia, phobia, depersonalization, depression, paresthesia, abnormal gait, grand mal convulsion"

The second site (a paper written by a PhD) also stated that depression is a possible side effect, and just to be sure, I went to a couple more sites..... listed:

"Cipro side effects

Stop using Cipro and get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stop using Cipro and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:

dizziness, fainting, fast or pounding heartbeat;

sudden pain or swelling near your joints (especially in your arm or ankle);

diarrhea that is watery or bloody;

confusion, hallucinations, depression, unusual thoughts or behavior;"

It has a bunch more, but I stopped copying after it mentioned depression. even lists suicidal thoughts and depersonalization, in addition to depression....very serious stuff.

Also, after writing this I saw the HX of bipolar mentioned, and I read on these sites that cipro can also cause someone w/ bipolar should not be on it bc of the possible effects of both depression and mania....or at the very least, someone w/ bipolar should be closely monitored when on it and should absolutely not dismiss the possibility that these symptoms are being triggered by the Cipro.
  5. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

Thats cipro right? I can't take that med,It makes me mental. RUthie
  6. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

IT made me depressed several times I took it. If you read the the info on that med,it mentions depression or mood swings. Ruthie
  7. jole

jole Member

As far as I'm concerned, Cipro is a drug that should not even be given except in extreme emergency situations! There are too many risks, side effects, etc. and it should only be given when nothing else will work, such as for MRSA, etc.

When Cipro and Levaquin first came out, they were considered the "big guns" of antibiotics, and used mainly for drug-resistant bacterial infections. The pharma pushed them so hard because of the $$ that the docs started using them when they shouldn't have. Now people are suffering from the effects.

Just a little reminder to all that sometimes less is more.....and as someone else said, we who have these DDs are usually much more sensitive to meds, which means more risk of side effects. Before becoming sick, I was allergic to one I'm severely allergic to nine known meds, and probably many others. It's very scary to get a new prescription now....

Good luck, and I hope you find your answer, but as others have said, please do not just assume it's clinical depression. I'd bet on the Cipro!
  8. Shananegans

Shananegans New Member

I too would think it was the Cipro. Cipro can be pretty scary stuff. Unfortunately it is the only antibiotic I can take without an allergic reaction so I have to take the risk but I wouldn't doubt what you are dealing with is a side effect.

Hope things improve.
  9. YUCK!

Friday morning, I had an endoscopic ultrasound guided, celiac plexus nerve block- a bunch of really long words, that amount to a nerve block, to a bundle of nerves around the pancreas, done through an endoscope that was guided down to my stomach, where they use the 'ultrasound' to view the area to be injected with oh heck, I'm not even tryin' to think of the two meds used, to actually do the 'numbing' or, the block itself.. doesn't matter...

Anyways, they use a 22 gauge needle (pretty thin needle, the most commonly used size, *I believe*.. anyhow, they *puncture through the stomach *wall*... to get to the pancreas & inject...

So, I did not know what anti-biotic I was given, until I was being discharged..... an IV bag of Cipro, then discharged with an rx of 4 days worth of Cipro (500mgs, 2x's a day)

I'd never tell anyone there's 'no way possible. Impossible' about any drug, and any side effect. ANYTHING, and EVERYTHING is possible, with any drug, herb, supplement, and especially combo's of any such things.

I wanted to mention another possibility, just, because it has not been mentioned yet.... (I believe from your post, it sounds like it is *exactly* the Cipro causing this, (add in the pre-existing Bipolar, but, others here do not have BPD, and they're saying they got depressed...)

It's probably several things, the Cipro, bipolar disorder, possibly the lorazepam, and, the infection itself- and seeing that you also were, or are taking Vicodin, having taken care of people in nursing homes for years, and then hospital, just before my illness.... I'd say the PAIN, from your prostate, as well, I think all of that, is plenty enough to trigger depression/depressive episode.

When are you finished with the Cipro? (Sorry if I missed it?)

What dose are you on?

DON'T stop taking it, without your doctor's say so, unless you find yourself reaching that deeeeep abyss type depression, and know that you do not feel 'right', and 'fear' something may happen- that IS something everyone knows, the bottle should even say that, I know the package insert does- never stop taking an anti-biotic, finish the entire script-

HOWEVER- that's not what I'm saying to do, I'm saying, for sure, speak with your doctor, ASAP, don't take no for an answer, (don't allow yourself to be blown off, and dismissed as "uh, you have bipolar, part of that is depression ,,, etc- I am very passionate about awareness for mental illnesses, just as I am physical- having my only sibling, my sister who is 21 months older, suffering from BP II disorder, along with other mental illnesses...)

Just lay out the facts, kindly, firmly, and let the doctor know just what you told us, that it was within the 5th day or so on Cipro, that it started, and tell him or her, that you know you need to finish out anti-biotic prescriptions, but, ask if you can't be switched over to something else, or at least have some kind of help (emotionally, via medication, or, whatever it takes) to get you through the rest of your anti-biotic prescription.

Kudos to you, for noticing your symptoms, and quickly... I know with BPD sometimes, at least, my SISTER, will refuse to acknowledge, (or she's just sooo far gone, she truly CANNOT SEE, that she is depressed- she has gotten better, though, at recognizing her moods/shifts, etc & reaching out to her therapist/psych meds nurse for help... in fact, the last time she could not see her own (DEEP!!!) depression- and we're talking a couple months, or at least 6wks+ in bed, only getting up to eat, go to the bathroom... and when she was able to, shower... then right back to bed--- it seemed to actually (AGAIN) be the stupid meds she was on, that caused her to become argumentative & hateful, when mom & I tried to get her to see it, & get her therapist for help)

So, I just wanted to throw some other ideas out there as well, and add a "Kudos" to you, because, I DO understand bi-polar disorder, and just felt that that needed to be recognized (your ability to identify the sudden shift in your mood.)

Also, I don't know if you take it already or not, but, fish oils, are a very very highly recommended supplement for BPD/depression, etc (they call it 'brain food', recommend it for all sorts of physical ailments, but, I've read several articles on it for BPD too, my sister started taking (Omega 3's) Fish Oil supps this year.

Wish you the best. Please talk with your doc, about the Cipro..

I'm so glad I took my last pill of it today. I do NOT like Cipro, and would never ever allow a doc to stick me on Levaquin, not after seeing the nightmare stories, (our dear member Joebth(?).

I do great on Keflex, I've been on that one for everything, from infection after a port-cath ('permanent') IV line, implanted in my chest, was put on it again, when the port cath came out 10 wks later, was on it in March, for an abcessed tooth, etc. (I'm always put on that one 4 times a day, is the only thing, versus twice a day on that Cipro, so, I had to *eat* 4+ times a day, but, hey... )

Take care, give us an update.