Depression is taking over my life!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Crystol4, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Crystol4

Crystol4 New Member

Dpression is taking over my life. I take Wellbutrin XL and have been on it about 8 mths. I have also tried Paxil, Zoloft and something I can not recall. I have a husband and 4 kids and this is hurting me and my family. Need to know what else I should try.

Thanks for your HELP
    Crystol4
  2. Crystol4

Crystol4 New Member

3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

... is this depression from being so much in pain, or depression from something else? Is it sadness or depression? This may sound like a weird set of questions, but I see you have 4 kids and that is a lot to keep up with too. I'd like to help. My friend takes Wellbutrin and Paxil together as the Wellbutrin alone would not do it for her. Since she went on that combo she has really been so much better although she needs to sleep more. She had chronic depression for many many years, I met her actually when I was her counselor, and the difference is amazing on the combo. Also, the warnings on Wellbutrin re seizures are really intended, I am informed, for people who already have had seizures,so don't be too worried about side effects.
    Zoloft is very fey it works for some people and makes others a lot worse. People are posting they like the new Cymbalta, but I am a bit leary of trying anything until it has been on the market for four years with all the recalls these days. But that would be up to you.

Love Crom
  4. Crystol4

Crystol4 New Member

My depression is from pain mostly although I have had mild depression all my life. I am 29 and can not do anything I used to do. My husband keeps saying he wants his old wife back HAPPY, OUTGOING, AND FULL OF ENERGY.

Crystol4
  5. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

Your husband may not *mean* to be hurtful, but what an insensitive thing to say! I'm sure you'd like nothing better than to be that happy, energetic person, too -- but that isn't realistic when you are ill!

As for depression -- yes, Cromwell is right, the combo of wellbutrin and an SSRI is often a good one for difficult to treat depression. Are you in therapy? If not, I'd really suggest you look into it ... meds and therapy together are really a powerful combination. Be sure you find a therapist who works with/understands chronic pain/illness.
  6. adberens

adberens New Member

Hi crystol4,

CFS changed my life and threw everything upside down. I had severe depression and had some success early on with Zoloft but the thing that really help me in the long run was working with a psychologist. He helped me accept my limitations and loss of friends due to this illness. It took years but it was worth it.

I also take Cymbalta now for depression and pain and it is great. I don't think I realized how much pain I was in until it was eased.
  7. russiankids3

russiankids3 New Member

I've been fighting depression for about 4 years now with some success. Think it was brought on by FM/CFS, raising 3 special needs kids I adopted at late ages. Also fighting Parkinson's and severe kidney disease. I am doing OK on combo of Wellbutrin XL and Luvox right now.

I also had therapy when I got so low all I could do was cry and not function at all. Still see my therapist once a month and she continues to help me tons. I was one of those Type A personalities who could always handle anything. Then FM/CFS struck. I had a hard time accepting that I was not going to do all the things I used to do. Also, I had been brought up in a birth family of strong, independent personalities and had a hard time admitting that I couldn't handle "the load" anymore.

I'm sure your family like mine also are having a hard time adjusting to the new you. You probably feel you are letting them down in some way. I needed to get over the guilt I felt about my changing role in our family.

You are trying to handle a lot right now. Keep trying meds to find the right combo for you. Please think about talking with a therapist too.

Take care --I'll be thinking of you.
    Sue
  8. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

I also have severe depression. I take 120 mg of cymbalta a day. I tried to stop taking it for two weeks and I started having anxiey attacks and crying everyday thats how I realized it was helping more than I realized. I still get depressed taking it but not like I do without it. Around period time I cry easily no matter what. Just hang in their remember your not alone! Lots of hugs to you>>>