depression meds and weight loss, help...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaymelynn, Feb 2, 2006.

1. jaymelynn

jaymelynn New Member

i was taking effexor and nortriptyline for depression and gained over 30 lbs, i tried eating better and much more exercise and lost nothing, so i stopped taking effexor. my doctor now started me on celexa and nortriptyline and will have me start wellbutrin next month. any ideas on medications or help with weight loss. thank you.
  2. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

I hear that Wellbutrin will help with weight loss and sex drive as well as depression.

I can only vouch for the depression and sex drive as I am pregnant and of course you gain weight when you are pregnant.

BUT...My weight gain slowed BIG time after I started taking the Wellbutrin. I think I was in my sixth or seventh month when I started taking it.

As a matter of fact the past month or so I have been losing or staying the same when my OB checks my weight. So I don't know if it is the Wellbutrin or not. All I know is I am eating like a freight train and not gaining.

Hope this helps!

Oh one more thing...good job on getting off the Effexor. I am a huge anti-Effexor person but that is soley my opinon. I took it for a year or two (can't remember) and it really didn't help me and the withdrawals were REALLY BAD!!!!!

Anyway, good luck!

kate
  3. jaymelynn

jaymelynn New Member

thanks so much for responding. and good luck with the baby, i can only imagine how hard it would be to be pregnant with this.
  4. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

Hi, I take Welllbutrin- has been really the only med that has helped -whats so ever.

Do realize - you prob know anyway- that it affects evreyone different so its hard to know until you try it.

I did lose weight on it. On zoloft I gain. I think it has something to do with retaining water cause no matter how much I eat or whatever, it doesnt matter. Hatin' it....

Good luck! Bette/ karen Z.
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i read it some people really lose weight on it and others gain some...docotr told me ti would be minimal weight gain this one...

now i just got a cold so who knows if i will gain or lose...i threw out my scale...it depresses me..i figure if i go and get weighted at the doctors that would be enought..

jdoei
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

they put me on vivactil-supposedly cause weight loss and if any weight gain minimal...

jodie
  7. Lindy2

Lindy2 New Member

I started taking wellbutrin sr a couple of years ago and within 5 months I lost over 60lbs and the doctors got concerned and took me off of it.

Recently I started taking wellbutrin again and have already noticed a difference especially with having more energy.

Lindy
  8. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

Effexor was influential in my gaining about 30 lbs. Once I stopped taking it, it was much easier to lose weight. I believe there is a connection to many of the SSRIs and weight gain.
  9. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I've been on Effexor for about 6 months and have had no weight gain. In fact I had put on about 10 lbs (lost 52 about 3 years ago doing Atkins and have kept it off since) before I started taking it and have dropped it again, slowly, but it's gone.

Three weeks ago the doc added Ametriptaline (sp)to help with my night time leg pain. It didn't help and I gained 7 lbs in that three weeks. I stopped taking it Monday and have dropped 4 lbs since then. Won't take that stuff anymore!

I do have to watch what I eat. I avoid processed sugar, flour and most fats. I eat a lot of veggies and fruit, hi-fiber multi-grain bread, fat free cheese, low fat turkey deli meat and cut fats where ever I can. I find this easier to stay on than low carb because I don't really care for meat. If I see it raw, I won't eat it after I cook it! Yuck!

Friday night is my night off from the diet and I eat fried shrimp and fries. I pick it up on the way home and my husband and I pig out! If I've had an extremely hard and stressful week we get milkshakes, otherwise it's water! Those occasional milkshakes are the only processed sugar I get. Haven't decided yet, but it might be a milkshake night!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!

10. HagerTX

HagerTX New Member

The weight gain or loss is frustrating. Some SSRI's made me gain weight, some made me lose and a couple of them didn't affect my weight. Also the tricyclics are notorious for weight gain. How much nortriptyline are you on? I took Doxepin at 100mg and noticed slight gain then at 150mg the gain was much more.

My mom has taken Celexa since 2002 and it hasn't seem to affected her weight, so maybe that one will work out for you.

-Greg