Depression/mood swings?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Larn33, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Larn33

Larn33 New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm 23 and was diagnosed with FMS and CFS around age 13. I think my cases are pretty mild in comparison to everyone else, but what I struggle most with is the fatigue and sleep disturbances. I'm able to work normally and do karate 3+ times a week, so I manage to get along pretty well.

In the past few years I've been battling with my moods...and I just can't decide (and don't know) if what I'm experiencing is just a normal reaction to the fatigue, or if it might be more like depression. There have been increasingly more days when I'm just in a down or dark mood for no good reason. But I'm usually a very happy person, so sometimes I almost feel bipolar. I blamed it on the birth control for a while, but then went off...so now at least I know these are my own feelings. :p I exercise and eat well, so I'm not sure what more I can do to naturally improve my moods. But I think knowing that maybe this is a normal part of CFS/FMS would help.

So I'd just really like to hear about what others with these conditions are experiencing--do you find that your moods fluctuate heavily? Or do you have depression because of CFS? Do you think that just being tired and fatigued can cause you to be depressed/in a down mood?

I agree with some of the postings I've seen--sometimes I just feel CRAZY and cry for no reason, and I just want to see if I'm not alone here.
    Thanks in advance for your replies! :)
  2. netnut

netnut New Member

I have bipolar as well as the fibro and I have been told that there is a direct connection between the two. Many folks who have bipolar end up with fibro.

I agree with HayleyCole on the fact that much of this is caused by a neurotransmitter imbalance somewhere. She has some interesting articles on this.

If this is causing you problems you might want to talk to a doctor about getting put on a mood stabilizer such as lamictal.

3. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

These illnesses effect the brain as well as the body. You will find that so many on this message board deal with depression and or mood swings. I didn't have problems with mood or depression before this illness.

Mine didn't start until about 2 years into the illness. I found that I would go through periods of feeling down and being moody off and on.

It would eventually pass and then it would return. I have been battling the moodiness and down moods for 3 years now. Went about a year with doing well in that department and then a couple of months ago when I moved it hit me like a ton of bricks.

It has been worse than I have ever had. I have been feeling crazy for months now. Crying and anxiety attacks and just feeling way off and out of touch. It has improved a lot to where the crying out of no where and anxiety attacks are under control but I still dont feel better yet.

So yes these illnesses can cause mood problems. I KNOW mine are cause by my CFS. There are some natural supplements and vitamins that can help or you can try medication if you can tolerate them.

Take Care,
    Pam