Depression So Much Worse In The Mornings, Anyone Else

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Nov 7, 2008.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

My depression is so much worse in the morning in fact until around 3 or 4 in the afternoon, then seems to lift but the mornings are horrible.

Anyone else like this if so do antidepressants help?

2. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

greatgran, the mornings were also hard for me. I take effexor xr, 150mg. I take it in the evening. I took it before, but didn't really give it a good chance. I've been on it for nearly a year now and my depression is sooo much better. Everyone is different though, so what works for me my not work for others. It is trial and error. But don't give up! There is light at the end of the tunnel if we seek it! Love, Robin
  3. featherme

featherme New Member

and refuse to let it take over totally. Yes, getting out of bed and putting my feet on the floor is always painful. They are so tight, but knowing this is going to happen, helps.

I have found for me antidepressants create more problems than they solve. Cymbalta helped my pain but it caused me to have suicidal feelngs. Elevil made me hyper. I have recently been through a terrible crazy time on topamax. I was going crazy but I didn't realize it was from the medication until I read the material when I got it refilled. It took a little while for it to work out of my system. I still wasn't myself but fortunately my church had a visiting pastor who had a powerful anointing. God did some surgery on my heart and healed my mind at the same time.

If you are a Christian, I have found saying the name of Jesus over and over chases the attempted depression away. I stand on the Word that says I have a sound mind! It's in 1 or 2 Timothy in the King James version. The influence of the topamax didn't even let me think that way and that's what made it such a terrible time. I wasn't able to speak encouraging words to myself.

I have been on crutches for over 2 and a half years and use a power chair from the Scooter store in the house. Hopefuly come spring a ramp will be built and I'll be able to use it outside.
    I have had my bouts of depression and isolation, but things started changing for me as I have
    been attending to my spiritual life more faithfully. I've been on disability for almost six years now so my days are pretty much my own so I can take time that I need. Why did it take me so long? I was angry and miserable about not being able to work, about watching my body go
    in a downward direction, and being pretty much left alone most of the time. Who wanted to be around a bitter, miserable grump? I finally got mad at the right thing! That motivated me to not give up. It's been a long battle, but I am making a come back and I am not doing it alone!
  4. 2sic2mooov

2sic2mooov New Member

Hi gg,
    I rmember when I was dx with depression in the past docs would say that was classic for depression...morning was always worse. Now I am supposedly not in a clinical depression and not taking medications FOR depression, but take something for severe insomnia and anxiety. (AM always told that often anxiety and depression go hand in hand).
    For me, I am always a mess in the morning and does seem to lift by mid to late afternoon. Then I seem to be way more productive and have a bit more energy. It makes me wonder if much of this is side effects of a sluggish metabolism sifting out the sleep and other Rx taken at night or even just the rotten nights many of us put in with poor sleep and it takes that long to recover.
    I have taken many different kinds of antidepressants for the past years and for me there was no real difference. Even when I did take antidepressants when diagnosed with depression years ago, mornings were a complete mess with anxiety, weakness, physical pains, heart palps, and almost incoherent until whatever it was played out with passing time throughout the day. Is it something possibly with a regeneration of some brain chemical like seretonin? throughout the day? (sorry, spelling is not my greatest asset). Wouldnt it be great to understand all of the medical science of the brain?

I get to sleep around 1-3 AM, get up with kids and off to school, then back to sleep from 8 or 9 til around 11. I make myself get up then so am not so wobbly through the day, but really takes hours til I feel almost human. Mornings are so bad that when kids are in sports I actually look ahead at all schedules and almost cry with relief when they are scheeuled in afternoon so I have at least a chance of attending. If not, I have been known to sit in the parking lot with swollen eyes and a pair of binocs watching my soccer kid from across the field. Doctor appointments are always late late AM or early PM so I am home when kids are home from school and my older daughter's schedule allows her to help drive me to them. Is this how you and others live also every day gg?
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I know exactly what you are talking about. It can take me up to three hours to "wake up"and shake that feeling like someone has thrown a wet blanket over me. I have learned not to make some decisions in the morning as my thinking is clouded by this feeling.

Then I struggle with the horrific tiredness and sleepiness on top of the pain, which like you, tends to go away later in the afternoon. Then, I have my second wind, or maybe that should be breeze and can not get to sleep until late.

That may be simplifying it a bit but I think you know what I mean. It also does not mean I do not try.

I think the upside down sleep patterns, weird sleep patterns, whatever, are part of our DD. I really think depression plays a small part of it but clinical depression in most people lasts all day.

I just get so sick of people saying, "Well just try a little harder to get up in the morning." Duh, I am trying as much as I can.

Taking my Zoloft at night has helped my depression, but the mornings are still hell. If I were not on Zoloft, I am sure my mornings would be much worse.

I guess it is all relative.

Hope this makes sense. Very foggy today!!

Take care.
  6. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Even though I am on 150 mg effexor and it has helped tremendously with pain, anxiety, depression, etc., a decent night's sleep still eludes me and I feel WRETCHED in the mornings.

The last month or so is worse, maybe it's the SAD setting in, or maybe my living situation at the moment, but my brain does not even function until noon.

Add to that, a boyfriend who is up at dawn and home from the gym before my eyes are even open, so it's also been a little embarrasing, but I've said, this is me, get used to it. I have an illness - don't you think I'd be up enjoying my life if I could!!

Sorry the zoloft didn't work out for you - how long did you take it for?