Depression / Weird Head Feelings

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Sep 23, 2010.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have posted so much on my sinus issues and these darn weird head feelings, I am beginning to wonder if it is depression. I have tried many antidepressants but the side effects were just so bad I never found one I could take even in very small doses.

All, I know is something has to give. Is sinus causing depression or depression causing sinus and these weird head feelings. Something is going on has for years but I am the end of my robe. I am becoming more housebound and bed ridden. So far none of the supplements the naturopath have worked .. I give up..If it wasn't for decongestants, bufferin and xanax I am not sure what state I would be in and they just take the edge off.

Sorry, for complaining so much but I feel helpless.
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks for your reply.. I have seen the ENT many times, had sinus CT, x-rays and the scope.. Allergy testing.. everything all so called normal.. That is why I am going nuts feeling this way and no answers..

They can't seem to find a cause so no known treatment .. except antibiotics which I seem to react to all of them.. Maybe its a die off reaction..

3. Tizz

Tizz New Member

gg, that's the story of my life!

Seriously, though, doctors do have a hard time figuring this stuff out because there are so few medical tests that show anything unusual.

Have your doctors done an ANA blood test? That's a test called Anti-nuclear antibodies, and it probably indicates some sort of (usually inflammatory) autoimmune problem. Borderline positive ANA results are common among people who have fibro -- and there are quite a lot of people with fibro who have low thyroid hormones ((high TSH) -- which is another indication of auto-immune disease.

4. greatgran

greatgran Member

Thanks, yes my ANA was high 1:640 so was my c-reactive protein .. Thanks for sharing the quote. I am a bundle of nerves this morning , crying like the end of the world and don't have a clue why.. Gosh what do I do with me?? This to shall pass..only to return.

God Bless,
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Do you have family nearby or someone you can talk to?

How long ago were you given ADs and what kind of doctor prescribed them? New ADs as well as alternatives to ADs are now available as some people just can't but even the ADs aren't a magic bullet.

I take Lamictal which was only used for bipolar but is also used for anxiety.

We often test normal for blood tests. There just is not a good diagnostic tool available yet and that can be so frustrating. About all is available is symptom relief. Hopefully with all these new studies we will get better information as well as treatments. Just because the blood tests are normal does not mean you are not sick.

Do you think your doctor could up the zanax for a while just to stop the cycle of anxiety? I have no idea how much you are taking so this should only be done with consulting your doctor.

Anxiety can destroy any quality of life in and of itself and if you have a DD on top of it, it makes a bad situation all the worse. I had extreme anxiety attacks in my 20s and would not wish them on my worse enemy.

Take care.

6. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

OOh how i wish i could give you a hug, i know it's hard. your crying because your frustrated, tired, and sick of being sick, it's our only release!
    we can't go out and exercise when we feel stressed or upset, we can't go out and work in our gardens when we feel bad.

so i think thats why your crying like that, i have to do the same when it just gets too dang much to handle, then im ok for a while until it builds up again.

don't you feel one bit bad about getting all that out of your system. the night before the echo, i was a basket case! screaming at my insensitive HUsband, and crying like a baby. because i was scared and feeling so sick.

yes, it will pass.but until it does your entitled to feel upset! we all are.
    we have been let down for 20+ years from so many organizations that were supposed to be helping us, it's no wonder were all cranky.

i too have high, ana's have had for 15 years, but no Lupus. so it's just one more piece of this puzzle i think.

Hang on Honey,were getting there!!

Love ya
  7. kat211

kat211 New Member

I have had severe sinus problems for a year now. I broke up w/my PCP who just kept saying I was old and it was allergies and went to see and ENT a couple of months ago. I just found out yesterday that there is in fact mold growing in my sinuses (disgusting and a very long convoluted story behind it), but now I know. I also had a bunch of allergy testing, all of which came up negative. If I follow my current regimen very strictly it helps, but sometimes I don't b/c one of the sinus sprays tastes worse than anything I have ever tasted. Anyhow, I rinse my sinuses in am and pm after blowing my nose a few times and use 2 different types of nasal sprays afterward both times. I have to continue doing this until the final results of my cultures come back and I can begin an anti-fungal therapy, that and move out of my house.

Although I know it still sucks, I am doing much better with my regimen than I did prior to it. You could always just start with a neti pot or sinus rinse, I use the NeilMed one, and see how it goes.

8. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

Have you ever had a spinal tap?
  9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I was looking for research on alternative medical treatments for depression and came upon an interesting article.

I put it in the separate thread as I thought others might also be interested.

The thread is "The Cytochrome P450 Genetic Test for Depression." .

10. S-Elaine

S-Elaine Member

My sinuses seem to act up at times & I’ve been told it was a symptom of FMS and many people have it.

Regarding depression ------ I went through all of the newer AD’s and none worked.

My doctor finally went to Luvox & I noticed a difference right away. My Depression started to lift. I was able to not “dwell” on the negativity I had been through this past year. My situation was verbal abuse & physical from a family member and her partner and I was in and out of Treatment Centers.

Without having my mind so “fixated” on the past and all of the things I was unable to do ----- I started to be able to function at a better capacity.

I do also see a Counselor and have been since January, due to me being in the Hospital from me becoming “self destructive”. That has helped work on many of my own personal issues.

My Counselor did say, Anti-Depressants work for some, yet not all. I’m glad I found a doctor who was willing to go through everything he had.

For Anxiety, Buspar works for me. Xanex just didn’t cut it.

Benedryl can work for some with Sinus issues if it becomes that bad.

From a person who has come as far along as I did in the beginning of the year ------- trust me when I say -------- things can get better and improve. You need to go the distance. Force yourself out of bed and try to accomplish 1 or 2 tasks. That will help you in feeling “productive” and lift your spirits a bit.

Continue to ask your doctor to try other Anti-Depressants. You may find one that might work.

Also, keep fighting the battle of our illnesses.

I’m glad I did and am feeling very good about things. I am at peace and I worked hard to get there.

Best of luck,
    == Elaine
  11. greatgran

greatgran Member

I think the last time I was given an AD was a couple yrs ago, Lexapro.. Yes I could up my xanax as I only take 1/4 mg but can take it up to 4 times a day. I honestly think my brain swells or something.. that causes pressure that causes the anxiety/depression..

Who, knows but sometimes a decongestant spray helps now figure that out.

Thanks and God Bless,
  12. greatgran

greatgran Member

You are so correct as to why we feel this way.. So glad to hear you had your echo.. Isn't it awful the anxiety you get before test.. Its so much worse than any test.. Let me know when you get your results.

13. greatgran

greatgran Member

Good to hear you are doing better. I tried the neti pot and for some reason it goes to my ears and then I do have problems. I was using the neti pot with the solution and a drop of grapefruit seed extract .. did it do a number on my ears and caused a vertigo attack.. If fact that is when this last round started.. So many have great results with the neti pot.

Stay well,
  14. greatgran

greatgran Member

No,never had a spinal tap.. Why?

15. greatgran

greatgran Member

Happy to hear you found a good AD.. I am going to discuss this with the new doc. I tried Buspar but it didn't work and benedryl plugs my head and ears up.. I am so complicated. I did have a psych tell me I was just one of those who couldn't take ADs and that is why I am on xanax it has some antidepressants effects.

One thing I have noticed is when I cut out carbs and try to eat healthy this always happens .. My body doesn't tolerate fruit , veggies, meat and no carbs I have to have some bread and potatoes every now and then. Wasn't able to eat but for lunch I fixed me an egg biscuit and for some reason the horrible anxiety calmed down.. So not going to pig out on carbs but not doing completely without. This may be all in my head, with me who knows..

Thanks and God Bless,
  16. lisadot

lisadot New Member

Sorry to hear about your sinus pain and other weird pain thing going on. I'm a nurse, not a doctor, but I wonder if you are really having migraines, not sinus issues. Of course, you may have both things going on. I can relate to the sinus pain. I have so many headaches, I'm finally going for acupuncture. I already get monthly allergy shots. My first acupuncture treatment was a week ago and my physical therapist says my muscles felt better. Today, my head is splitting. Thankfully I go back tomorrow. I do hope your CT-scan ruled out any other potential issues with your arteries.

I think pain causes horrible anxiety. I have both. It stinks. A half a xanax can relax my muscles, even if the neurologist tells me it's not an effective drug to relax muscles. It's my body, and I sense a change, so she can think what she wants.

A frozen pack on my head helps, and I alternate with heating pads. What a mess LOL! Geez, at least you know you aren't alone.

I want (need!) to dump the anxiety, Type A issues I have, and the chronic pain. I wish I could live more like the Calgon lady sitting in the bathtub.

I'm trying to ditch sugar, but it's so hard. Fresh fruit and veggies are best, but if you can't tolerate certain ones, go for the milder variety - apples, pears, bananas, yams, green beans...Hard boiled eggs are certainly healthy, and chicken or fish. And yeah, moderation. If you withhold all the *good* stuff you can end up binging to deal with the restriction.

Feel better

[This Message was Edited on 09/23/2010]
  17. greatgran

greatgran Member

I know its not migraines as those left with menapause.. I don't have pain except sometime of the morning I awake with headache between my eyes but when I get up it goes away. That is why I wonder if it is sinus as no pain, except early morning and not that often. No colored mucus, no fever.. just a pressure feeling like the inside of my head is dizzy.. weird I know..

Well, for now I won't do without my xanax. Doctors don't know our bodies like we

I ate some carbs for dinner took my xanax and am feeling better tonight.

Thanks and God bless,
  18. babyk902

babyk902 New Member

so sorry to hear you don't feel well - i COMPLETELY understand this feeling that you're talking about, the only thing is i've been dealing with severe mold exposure and ever since then i've had this pressure that i just can't describe in my head, my head just feels fuzzy and i feel like i can't see, hear or think straight - i'm almost off-balance, and feel dizzy constantly, it's a feeling that just will NOT go away, and i'm trying to eat as healthy as possible and detox as much as i can, but it's not changing and i'm so upset about it because i hope it will go away.

i hope you feel better, stay positive and try to ignore it, sometimes the less i think about it the less it bothers, but it's definitely not easy to deal with. and i've absolutely been feeling depressed lately - just wish i had an answer.

best of luck. xoxo
  19. S-Elaine

S-Elaine Member

Wanted to add, Luvox, (---- generic is called Fluvoxamine ----) is an old AD, not often used except then your Psych has pretty much exhausted all of their resources.

I still find some times the older meds work so much better than the newer ones. I tried all of the newer AD's and I spent a lot of money & not one made a difference.

Who cares if your Psych has to do a little research. Luvox is in the AD category & I was also told by doctors before ........ I'm too complicated and do not respond to medication.

Hmmmmmm ------ interesting if the Luvox works for me!

Good luck & hang in there sweetie!
    == Elaine
  20. kaymac

kaymac New Member

I am so sorry that you feel so helpless. I've been there too. Took me quite a few years to finally get my sinus disease diagnosed. I have Allergic Fungal Sinusitis to which there is no cure, only management. I took so many drugs and shots and sprays and surgeries. But thankfully a wonderful ENT finally helped me. I still deal with horrible sinus issues and migraines and I do take antidepressants for the FM mainly. I also have funny "tingling" or "zapping" sensations in my head that I have never related to my sinus disease. My regular physician once told me it could be thyroid related. I believe it's linked to my Effexor I take. Cause they are worse if I skip a dose or take at a latter time of day.

If I can help or listen, anytime, please know I am here. I've been off the boards so long because I just don't feel well half the time, but am trying to make it more a priority to stay connected with others who need encouraging!

Take care of you!