Depth Perception Problems, Tilting Feeling while driving

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by elizajane40, Dec 13, 2005.

1. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

I am having a really BIG problem. When I am driving everything looks to be much closer than it is. I am having a big problem with depth perception. Also a problem with getting the feeling like the car is in motion when it is not. Also a problem feeling like the car is tilting when banking a corner and last but not least light distortion from headlights, brakelights and streetlights. I can drive much better during the day, but am totally scared about driving home from work. My Dr. said it's vertigo and gave me motion sickness pills. This is not helping.

If you have had this issue and found anything that helps,
    please let me know what it is, I am considering taking the bus to work!
  2. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I went to a vestibular therapist who really helped me with some of the issues you're describing. Also you might want to see a neuro-opthamologist (usually in large cities and university hospitals).

Jan
  3. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I have little to no depth perception from a muscle imbalance since birth. I have hit the right side of my car and damaged my mirror and scratched up the body because of this.

I was born cross eyed and the pediatrician in the 60's let it 'just go away'.Well muscle imbalance's never go away..so I still have the issue and it manifests itself in depth perception and vertigo-like issues on stairs...I have a lot of trouble walking down stairs and it keeps getting worse.

You remind me that I need to call my opthomologist. I have frequent prescription changes in my eyeglasses. And it is much worse for me at night. Not sure if this helps. I would make an appointment with your eye doctor though to check your eyes.
    Good luck!
    Nancy
    [This Message was Edited on 12/13/2005]
  4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

we have with Fibro.
  5. Gly

Gly New Member

I've had depth perception problems probably my whole life. I didn't know about it until I had to take a test for my driver's licence. I wouldn't even dream of driving at night anymore. Even being in the passenger seat is stressful at night!
  6. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

some medicines can cause this as well as inner ear fluids.

Remeron keep me "spinning like a plate", walking sideways and bumping into doorframes. I would never have even attempted to drive when I was taking the remeron.

If you have a head cold and your ears have filled up with drainage you can get the same symptoms...been there too!

Hope you get rid of this problem soon...I know how miserable the feeling is.

7. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

This,among other things stopped me from driving
  8. Jeanette62

Jeanette62 New Member

I've had problems with depth perception for years. One of my first fibro sx was dizziness, vertigo and extreme motion sensitivity. I felt car sick anytime I drove anywhere for about 7 months. I too felt as if the car was still moving when I would stop at a red light. A lot of cars turning in front of me one after the other bothered me too (I would have to close my eyes until all the cars were done and the light was green again). I had difficulty watching TV because the motion made me nauseous. It was horrible and a occurred daily. I was dizzy, off balance and nauseous 4 - 8 hours a day.

The doctor dx me with migraine associated vertigo and started me on a migraine preventative called Topamax. The motion intolerance improved about 90% and I only get it occassionally now. Overhead fans and trains will still set it off, but I can watch TV again and drive without feeling sick. btw I'm 45 and never had a severe problem with motion sickness before in my life.

I have difficulty driving at night too.

Jeanette