Describe your Fatigue...is it the same?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowchowchow, Oct 1, 2005.

1. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

My fatigue is like an all encompassing weighted down feeling. I'm so tired I'm almost too tired to lay in bed if that makes sense. I'm shaky and my muscles just feel useless. Arms and legs feel like they're weighted down.

Mine comes and goes. I'll be good for a few months and able to do all my things I need to do (school, fiancee, family, etc) and then WHAM I'm back where I started and this will last a few months.

Meow
    [This Message was Edited on 10/01/2005]
  2. grannycfs

grannycfs Member

I am much better now but when I was at my worst, I felt so weak it was as if I couldn't hold myself up and would fall through the floor or ground I was standing on.

Granny
  3. sallyj

sallyj New Member

Hi Meow,
    I have CFS, i constandly feel tired, my eyes sting and water, the only way i can discribe it is that i feel i have someone real heavy sitting on my shoulders pushing me into the ground, my ankles and feet ache with pressure and when i walk on them i get like a pins and needles in them (they are ok if i rest them) but as soon as you touch them them get pins and needles again. My head feels like mashed pototoes, its hard to concentrate on simple tasks i cannot even figure out my sons homework, they think they are so clever as they teach me most of the time LOL. I laugh because if i didn't i would cry.

This is with me on good days the bad days are horrendous i have had symptoms of CFS for around 10 years now but only in the last 2 years has the doctor commited himself to say you have CFS.

All i can say is bear with it and ride the bad days out and enjoy the good days.

Sally.
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

Mine came and stayed .... never, ever left. True story.

I feel like something has sucked the life out of me, then left me on the highway where a steam roller ran over me, then a Mack truck, and followed by an 18-wheeler. No joke.

My fatigue is really debilitating, unrelenting, I feel like I have cement instead of blood in my veins. My arms, legs, feet, etc. are so heavy that I can't move them. My eyelids are always heavy. I'd rather take a beating than get up out of a chair (not really--won't tolerate violence).

I guess you get the picture. I am also overweight which makes the problem even worse. My fatigue level never changes... if so, just from worse, to far worse!!

I have to literally make myself get out of bed each morning.

I can't hardly function any more. My case is really getting bad. I have so many other illnesses. If something doesn't start to look up soon, I don't know what I am going to do.
  5. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I know what you mean about being to tired to lay in bed. When I'm as tired as you describe, I just sprawl out on the floor. It's less stimulating than being in bed - fewer sensations to process - so less tiring.

You put it so well, Meow!
  6. yagottalaff

yagottalaff New Member

Well, you guys have just about covered all of the horrors of the pain we feel. I once described it to a TAB (Temporarily Able-Bodied)person as PMS plus a bad cheap tequilla hangover plus having just run 10 miles with lead for bones. And then there is the railroad spike -- firmly implanted in my lower spine, pointing up. Sometimes it feels like my skin is too small, like my muscles are going to pop out. The creepiest feeling, though, is when it feels like I have ants crawling between my skull and my scalp. I guess this is technically the "itis" of myalgic encephalomyelitis... The fatigue is beyond words, but when it hits, I feel like it's just too tiring to even breathe.
    I'm even too exhausted to hold my eyes open, but sleep does not come. We're all in this, together, Meow. You can get through it!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/01/2005]
  7. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

My fatigue varies in intensity, but seldom entirely clears. It makes me feel very weak and limp. At it’s worst, I feel like I could collapse into a pool of jelly (sort of like the Wicked Witch of the West in Wizard of Oz).

As my physical fatigue intensifies, so does my mental fatigue. My mind feels ‘fuzzy’ and I have difficulty marshalling my thoughts (it just took me about 1/2 hour to decide how to state this reply). At it’s worst, I feel like my head is stuffed with cotton batting and is only poorly connected to my body. As I become more fatigued, my muscle control diminishes and I am more inclined to stumble, trip, fumble and drop things.

When I first developed CFS and was really bad, if I developed an itch, I would sometimes decide it was too much effort to scratch it. The itch would generally intensify until I could not ignore it. Once I decided to scratch the itch, it would still take a bit to decide which hand/arm I was going to make do the scratching, then force the arm and hand to move.
  8. Roseecoop

Roseecoop New Member

My fatigue is pretty much what everyone else described. I have FM/CFS. It is a dabilitating fatigue. It makes it very hard for me to drive now because I am so tired. I'm afraid I will fall asleep at the wheel. It is a tired sometimes like I swear. If I was laying on the couch and the house caught on fire. It would take me a half an hour to be able to find the enerrgy to get up and run. Someone mentioned watery eyes. I think it was GrannyCFS.

My eyes are constantly running all the time.It also makes it hard to drive when your eyes are all watery and running down your face.My eyes are often red and sore in the corners from the constant wiping of them as if you would wipe your nose if you had a cold. It is pretty much relentless. Once in a blue moon I will have a good day. Few and far between now. But when I do, I take advatage of that good day ofcourse and try to get so much done which I pay dearly for the next day, But hey at least I got some things done. I have to get out of this house onse in awhile. My hubby pretty much does everything around here. I do some light house cleaning and cooking but he will do the laundry and grocery shopping and major things like bending over scrubbing the bathtub.

I am glad for those good days though once in awhile. Although my husband is a Godsend and would do anything I ask. I do draw the line when it is time for new underwear or bras, I HAVE TO buy those. LOL I woukdn't even ask him. Although he would do it. I can only imagine what he would come home with! LOL
  9. KelB

KelB New Member

I just have CFS and when I have a crash it feels exactly as described above - only thankfully, I don't have any pain.

Something I've noticed is that when I'm normal-exhausted, I yawn a lot. When I'm CFS-exhausted, I never yawn. It's a "differernt kind of tired", in a whole league of its own.
  10. Kay31

Kay31 Member

All of you have described it so well that there's very little I can add. When I have a good spell I know I tend to overdo.

The most exasperating part of this illlness is that my friends don't catch on....it's like, "come on, have fun, you'll feel better." Wish it was so. And they DO mean well.
  11. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

My mom told me that although she "believes" I feel bad, she feels that 90% of my illness is mental/anxiety. Umm...thanks.
  12. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

read this thread. 'Regular' people can't understand what we are up against which is sad because you need your mom to understand how serious it is.
  13. jenn5

jenn5 New Member

I feel like the energy source for my muscles has been cut off, like a cut phone line. No energy, can't move
  14. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

You hit the nail on the head. That is exactly what it feels like! the worst hangover of your life and you have to run a marathon. Exactly.
  15. browneyes259

browneyes259 New Member

yesterday. So very weak and shaky like I ran a 100 miles. The way I thought of to explain to my husband was when you get x-rays taken at the dentist and they put that heavy mat over you. That is how it feels just all over.

He had to help me walk everywhere because I felt like my legs just weren't going to hold me.

Going to my 1st FFC appt on 10/6 in Dallas. I am so desperately looking forward to any relief.improvement in my symptoms.

I am sorry that your mother doesn't understand what you're going through or doesn't try to. Hoping she will come around soon. We have all had to deal with people who think we're just head cases before.

Hope it gets better soon!

Jen
  16. Empower

Empower New Member

SOmeone here described it as feeling like they were poisoned, and yes that is how I feel sometimes

I try to describe the fatigue to people as this:

Imagine that you ran the Boston Marathon one day, and then spent the next two days (from dawn to midnight) at Disney World

When I get overly exhausted, I just lay on my bed and I don't move a muscle. It is a SICKENING exhaustion. Sometimes it will pass within 1/2 hour, other times it may take 2-3 hours,
  17. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

I feel fortunate that I don't suffer the extremes of this nasty fatigue like most of you described ... at least not yet (knock on wood) but sadly my DD (FM only at this point) has definitely increased in intensity over the past year. Ah well, won't go borrowing trouble there ...

Anyway, my biggest complaint when I am dealing with the extreme fatigue is how hard is it to get comfortable in bed. My legs and arms are soooo tired, I can't keep my eyelids open because my eyes are burning so bad, my head feels like it weighs a ton ... and yet I dread getting in bed because I know I'll start feeling that awful pins-and-needles feeling in my extremities. I hate that feeling with a passion. I can't lay in one position more than a minute without feeling like I'm going to explode, or just go crazy. It takes hours for me to go to sleep - just when I need SLEEP most of all!! Warm baths, sleep meds, comfy pillows, white noise, soothing heated blanket ... NOTHING helps. Makes me sick just thinking about it. I hate it, hate it, hate it. It's as if my whole body is too damn tired to relax. Ugh.