Describe your fibro pain in detail

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msbsgblue, Jun 25, 2010.

1. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I am writing an article for a local paper on fibromyalgia and would like to know for this purpose the kind of pain and the extent of the pain that each of you with FM have.

It may be searing burning pain, stabbing pain, aching pain for me. It is deep and it is intense especially in the mornings or when a storm front is coming or we have a full moon.

How bad and where is your pain?
  2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I was featured in a local newspaper, but writing one?? Heck I'd never get it finished!

Fibro pain-my pain could be dull and throbbing...yes, it still hurts! The sharp stabbing pain comes either as a few killer stabs which I only have a few pains for a short while. They are so severe that I get nauseous and dizzy, a definate 10. I can also get that same type of pain longer in duration but not as a 8...yes, an 8 is also bad:)

I have burning pain typically in neck, upper back and shoulders...the burning pain can be accompanied by sharp pain in the same region but not always.

I also have pain that varies in strength, in my lower back hips and shoots down my thighs. This pain is always there, never leaves, never takes a nap, nothing:) This pain could vary from a 5-10. My doctor did a procedure that burned several nerves in my lower back. That helped quite a bit. The procedure is supposed to last 12-18 months but the pain is returning a few months earlier.

Thank goodness it is returning a little bit at a time. I think back to when symptoms started showing up. I believe that I had symptoms other than great pain for years before the pain fairy showed up one night and changed my life forever. I awoke with such great pain one night that I really thought....well I'm not sure what I thought. My husband was ready to take me to the emergency room but I wouldn't go. I was afraid of what they might find. I was right to be afraid.

I have since learned ways to cope with the pain whether a 5 or a 50:) I just do the best I can, some days are better than others of course. I am not always successful in dealing with fibro all I can do is try and remain faithful with my God.

3. loto

loto Member

most of the time my FM pain is dull and achy. Thankfully my pain meds keep it tolerable.

Sometimes it is throbbing pain. If I don't take pain meds the pain goes up to a 10, and when I do take pain meds it pretty much stays at 3 or 4.
  4. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Need more people to write about this.
  5. kathyrn

kathyrn New Member

Back of neck and back of head, down to shoulders-dull intermittent ache, 5/10 severity. Intermittent sharp stabs (about 4 times a day) 9/10 severity lasting 30 sec to 1 minute, with total immobility of head and neck when it occurs. 2nd location-the area you sit on-5-6/10 severity-constant dull ache, responsive only to narcotic pain relievers. Worse at night-wakes me up constantly. Other symptoms, increased gerd, increased sensitivity to light, smells, hot, cold, emotion, and even repulsive sights. Fatigue and weakness are more debilitating than the pain. Pushing the vacuum cleaner feels like it weighs 100 pounds. I need two hands to carry a gal of milk to the table. I cannot walk non stop for more that 7 minutes at a slow pace without extreme fatigue and pain in my thighs (this is more than some fm sufferers are able to do). Symptoms started 10 months ago-I've gained 30 pounds. Significant drying out of the hair, skin, and nails. Little red spots called cherry hemangiomas on arms, legs, and stomach. STiffness in the feet and hands in the morning. Numbness of the arms and hands in the morning. Increased frequency of urination. Increased flatus. Stiff knees that pop with flexion. Can no longer swim--almost drowned finding that one out. Go up stairs on all 4's. Down stairs slowly holding the rail and leaning on the wall. All of my labs and xrays are negative except for arthritis consistent with my age (58), slightly low platlets, and borderline kidney function. Nothing was found to account for my pain and fatigue and I had an extensive workup before being diagnosed with fm by a rheumatologist. Many fm sufferers c/o depression. I am not depressed yet--just scared that it might get worse.
  6. Alycia07

Alycia07 New Member

My pain is sometimes stabbing pains and spasms but most of the time it is a dull pain. My pain is usually between a 5 and 8. When it is a 7-10 it is usually a change in the weather or if I walked too much. In the winter I have a constant pain that is a 10. It is dull with sharp pains through the day. Some days it hurts to walk, brush my hair, drive, put on my seat belt etc. My other symptoms are fatigue, the feeling of water droping on my legs when there is no water around, the feeling of heat in my hands like I am holding them over a hot stove, pain mostly in arms, legs and hips. In the morning my arms have a dull pain with knots in my muscles. They are stiff and weak. I also have other problems like thyroid problems, restless leg syndrome, dizziness, reoccuring UTI's, tension headaches. The pain in my arms is usually cause by the knots in my arm muscles or shoulders that are anywhere from the size of a dime to the size of a orange. Some days I can't walk or lift my legs to lay down on the bed. Walking up stairs is horrible stabbing pains in my hips and above my knees. My doctor's still won't try to help me with any of my pain.
  7. tig519

tig519 Member

I guess dull and aching is mostly what I experience. But when things get bad, it is more of a burning to stabbing pain.

My hips and down the outside of my legs, inside my legs above my knee, shoulders (between them), and my forearms are all burning sensation along with stabbing pain.

My hands are achy pain, top part of my hand up through my forearm where it's more burning and sharp.

My lower back by the end of the day of just pain. All of the above.

As another poster wrote, hyper sensitivity can be painful in another way. I can't tolerate perfumes, cigarette smoke, chemicals. Can't sleep because I can't keep thinking about multiple things (work, home, pets, family, a stupid movie I just watched). I always say I want a drug that turns my brain off for 7-8hours.

Would love to see the article when it's done.