Desperate, need drugs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wcf, Sep 8, 2008.

1. wcf

wcf New Member

Greetings, my first post. I've had CFS for 17 years. Won't go into a litany of whining about it, but it has taken everything.

I have done much research over the years and seen lots of Docs etc, all to no avail, my current MD, the only one available in my tiny town, doesn't even believe CFS is a valid dx.

I am currently in another total crash, with whole constellation of symptoms, and am totally fed up.

My Question: Do any of you have any advice on a drug, legal or not, that will produce the pain remediation, "euphoric apathy" and rest that I have read are the hall-marks of the opiods without all the risks and downsides of that class of agents?

2. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

I think the way you worded your post - if you went to a doctor and said that, they would assume you are "drug seeking".

A starting point would be to tell us which symptoms are most bothersome to you and then it would be easier for others to advise on what has helped them.

Example - many use Klonopin here - it can work for sensory overload (over sensitive to noise, lights and smells etc)

However if pain is your primary symptom, opioid painkillers would probably be more appropriate (can't personally advise on these tho)

I have had good relief from muscle pain and spasms and sensory overload with Klonopin but I don't get high from it.

I hope others can help more.

Warm hugs,

Bunchy x
  3. wcf

wcf New Member

Thanks for the replies, it is very kind of you. Didn't want to contravene any rules or conventions, the hint that I might be willing to go to the street is just an indication of my frustration with both the disease and the medical profession.

In these crashes, I am a poster child for CFS with all the symptoms outlined by outfits like the CDC, etc. My most nutso-making symptoms right now are bone-deep pain, stumbling weakness, brain fog, sensory overload. It just gets sometimes like ya just don't want to deal with it anymore, and the permanent way out is not an option for me. I just lose patience and want a vacation from it all. The opiates terrify me with all the "hillbilly heroin" hype and all that, but after a while.... I just don't know.

I've tried AD's, new and old, gapapentin, NSAIDs, muscle relaxants and benzos. No joy there, hence the question.

4. SolSerenade

SolSerenade New Member

i'd recommend codeine sulfate, and propoxyphene (darvon) for nighttime maybe (less 'speedy')

use them properly and don't acknowledge the HH hype - don't have fear for yourself just because they're popularly abused/misused by others.

just my opinion - hope you find something that works.

BILLCAMO New Member

If I could find legal help for myself , I would share it with you. Illegal is not an option I would consider.

I live in a very "conservative" area too. Frustrating just doesn't cover it.

Hang in there ! "It is always darkest before the dawn..."

Blessings ,

6. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I currently have FM with an underlying dx of CFS. I currently take many drugs to help with my symptoms however I have never gotten a "euphoric" feeling from any of them.

People who use drugs like opiates or others generally don't get "euphoric" feelings as they are using the medications properly and not to get high.

I have been on opiates for years and they work for me and I have not had any problems.

However I have a great team of doctors working with me.

The fact that you are looking for a euphoric feeling would worry me. I can see looking for pain relief, sleep help and so on but not a euphoric feeling.
  7. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

sometimes its good to revisit medication you have taken in the past. I find that most have worked for awhile then stopped. If you havent taken benzo's for awhile try it a gain you might get some relief for 2 weeks or so until your over the hole your in.
    Lyrica is suppose to be an improved version of gabapentin, i have found it helps when in a flare, this is how i use it. Another good med i go back to which is good for pain and sleep is doxepine and is cheap. Sometimes just a 1/4 of a zoloft for short periods can help lift the brain fog some.
    good luck
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Im sorry that you're feeling so desperate. I can't imagine not having something for relief, and worse yet a Dr. who doesn't believe in what I have.

I am going out on a limb and guessing you are not really asking about illegal drugs but just so tired, fed up as you put it and crying out for help.

I don't get that euphoric feeling either when I take my pain meds, but sometimes I wish I'd at least get that. Sometimes my pain meds don't help me at all - when the pain is so bad.

I don't know how far you are from another town, another dr., but if I were you, I'd certainly be on the hunt for a new Dr. What is your current Dr. doing for you??

Are there any pain management Dr's or clinics in your area?

I really am sorry that you're suffering so. Don't give up on looking for help - there is some out there!
  9. singingirl

singingirl New Member

I know how you feel. I can't find anyone her in Mobile that will give anything for the pain either. Every doctor here just wants to stick you on Lyrica. I don't think anyone that doesn't have this disorder really understands what we go thru. I have been hurting so bad for the past 3 weeks that I don't know what to do. I too am fed up this the doctors here!
  10. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

I don't have CFS, but I do have FM. My Rheumy doesn't "believe" in prescribing narcotics. When I am having a flare, even Darvocet gives me no relief. I am on Lyrica. There should be a medication out there they can prescibe to us that will allow us to function without hurting! I also worry about you wanting the "high". Maybe you just want what I do and that is to be able to feel like I did before the FM. Wouldn't that be a miracle cure if the researchers and docs could find that medication?
    Hang in there and don't give up.
  11. wcf

wcf New Member

Thank you all very much, it is very kind of you to take the trouble.

My "euphoric apathy" thing is a result of reading that description of opium whilst researching on the net. At the time, that sounded pretty good. As most of you respondents know, after a while any relief sounds good. Naturally, I would prefer to be back to my pre-illness self, I was a very active and engaged person.

I can get quite down about it all and of course that can color my judgment.

While pondering this since first writing, it also occurred to me that there seems to be an underlying puritanism at work in medicine that says that pain is no big deal, that chronic illness that has no identifiable or quantifiable etiology is psychosomatic, that we are just nuts, that there is no greater evil than drug "addiction." Is it not odd that Docs hand out AD's like candy, but have apoplexy at the thought of prescribing pain meds?

If one's illness has robed him family, friends, career, avocations, virility, financial security - what is the big deal in risking a pharmaceutical intervention that will at least offer some relief?

Anyhow, I am fundamentally a victim of this anti-drug, addiction paranoia myself. Weird.

But I guess as I have survived this damnable albatross this long, I suppose I will get through this time as well. Thanks again for your time and input.

God bless.