Desperate need of a good doctor in Southern Jersey

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lailal, Jul 4, 2003.

1. lailal

lailal New Member

Hi to all and Happy 4th of July. I am in desperate need of a good doctor in Southern Jersey (Cherry Hill, Marlton area) who understands CFS & Fibro, who is up with the newer meds for pain and insomnia that go a long with this illness. I have never been able to find a doctor who will give me anything other than SSRI's for my symptoms. These seem to make me feel worse. I am desperate to get some pain relief and sleep.
    I would really appreciate if anyone has any ideas they could pass onto me. You can also email me privately at lhalligan@yahoo.com. Thanks very much!
    Leila
  2. Belladonna3

Belladonna3 Guest

Leila,

What about Norrthern NJ? Would that help at all? The areas I am referring to is Midland Park, Ridgewood, Wycoff & Fair Lawn.

Belladonna3

Edited because I can't spell today...*ACK![This Message was Edited on 07/04/2003]
  3. lailal

lailal New Member

Thanks so much for your reply. Right now driving just 15 minutes down the road seems like a 24 hour trip! I don't know that I could handle a trip to Northern Jersey right now. I really appreciate your reply though!
    Best!
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Leila, welcome to our world. We do have a 'Doctor Referral' link at the top of this page, the doctors are listed by states. Also you can call; 'FM Network' at; 1-800=853-2929 for a referral.

We do have many members here from Jersey, so hopefully one of them will see your post and share with you.

But the board is very slow on the Holidays and weekends, so be sure to keep your post bumped up so they will see it after the weekend.

If this is of any help to you, this is what I do to sleep.

Xanax (0.25 milligrams) at 8pm (for racing brain syndrome)

ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6) at 10pm, this is for deep stage four sleep, it worked wonderfully for me for sleep as well as the pain and muscle spasms.

Melatonin this I take right before I go to bed. It helps me fall asleep within a half hour.

Since I 'found' this nightly cocktail I have been sleeping 7-8 hours a night, very deeply, if I do wake up in the night, I go right back to sleep.

I cannot take many meds, I am seriously allergic to them, so I have worked very hard to find supplements to help with the pain and the sleep.

This is the first time in a lifetime of not sleeping, that I am truly sleeping. It was the ZMA that did the final trick. I started it 17 months ago, and after the first two weeks of taking it, then I started to sleep like a normal human being.

From being on this board for over two years, and reading all the post about SSRI's, I can't understand why they give them to FM patients. I would be afraid of them to say the least.

I do want to warn you about putting your eaddress on this board, it is not a good idea. This is a public board, and we do have 'lurkers' that come here to collect eaddresses for all the wrong purposes. But you are free to put it here, but we do warn new members of the dangers of doing so.

Again, welcome to the board, and I do so hope you find a way to deal with the pain and sleep. We so badly need to sleep to help heal those muscles.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. lailal

lailal New Member

Dear Shirl,
    Thank you so very much for your reply and recommendations! I appreciate it so much!
    I wonder if you could let me know the milligrams of the supplements you've recommended?
    I am reviewing the best doctors list now. I have been in such a fog I didn't really explore this wonderful site thoroughly.
    Thanks also for your recommendation on not posting my email. I should have known better!
    Your "Shalom" reminds me of when we were in Saudi Arabia on a 2 year business assignment of my husbands!! ;o)
    Take care and hope to keep in touch.
    Best, Leila
  6. lailal

lailal New Member

Hi Eddie,
    Thank you very much for your recommendation. I will look up his location.
    The best to you and thanks again! I am so glad I found this site.
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

The ZMA is;

15 milligrams of vitamin B-6
    450 milligrams of magnesium
    30 milligrams of zinc

The Pro Energy is;

B-1 102 milligrams (this is the recommended dosage, I take 2 per day, it is recommended you take six, too sleepy to figure it out!)

B-6 102 milligrams (same as the above amount)

Magnesium 52.6 milligrams (same as above amount)

Malic Acid 1200 milligrams.
    You will have to divide the Pro Energy by 2 to get the exact amount I am taking.

Both these products are sold here at Pro Health, you can go to the 'Store' link and read more about them, and also order if you want.

Melatonin; 2 1/2 milligrams right before bed.

I can imagine how well the 'Shalom' went over in Saudi, wow.

Shalom Alechem!

Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 07/05/2003]
  8. Jen F

Jen F New Member

This is an excerpt from the doc listing on the Internation Guai support website:

"New Jersey

Livingston, NJ 0703922
    Old Short Hills Road
    Phone: +994-4550
    Robert Sipzner
    I have but little information on him but two of his patients love him and he is willing to prescribe guaifenesin. I have written to him and sent him all of our papers.

For more information please contact Dr R. Paul St. Amand
    Submitted 26th January 1998"

9. lailal

lailal New Member

Jen,
    Thanks very much for this information! I will check location.
    Best, Leila
  10. lailal

lailal New Member

Shirl,
    Thank you again for taking the time to send this helpful information!
    I am becoming more acquainted with this web site now and finding it to be so great!!
    I have 6 more weeks before returning home to Hawaii and hope that I can see a doctor and kick up the vitamins before going back...right now I can't even think about a 12 hour plane ride. I am hoping I can get to feeling better so I can enjoy my vacation with family here in New Jersey. The crazy was this illness kicks it's heels is, I was really feeling well before leaving Hawaii. My time here thus far has been quite stressful with up grading my condo and at the same time dealing with family issues. I think I have forgotten to "pace" myself!
    Unfortunately finding a doctor in Hawaii(Although I did just find one on the Doctor referral list)who is really well informed about this illness is difficult and even worse is they are so skeptical about precribing some of the newer meds being used now for sleep and pain. If I ask for something for pain or anxiety, they look at me as though I am asking the impossible. I have lived with this disease since they first gave it a name and I have never once had a doctor give me pain medicine or anything for anxiety. They push the SSRI's big time and Amitriptiline.
    I am simply worn out, depleted and discouraged, not to mention sleep deprived and on anxiety overload.
    This site and those of you who have responded to my original post are really helpful!
    Best to all, Leila
  11. kaber

kaber New Member

Hi Leila,
    Good to hear from someone from home. I live in Orlando now but I used to live in South Jersey-- all my life. Anyhow, I thought I might be able to get a little closer than the rest of your responses. I came home at Christmas to see my family and while riding down the Black Horse Pike right around the Runnemede area. I saw a sign in the front lawn of a doctors office (a chiropractor I believe) that said, "Fibromyalgia, stop the pain" I told my relative who was drivig that I would kill to see a sign like that in Orlando. smile... Check the yellow pages under Chiropractors on Black Horse Pike in either Runnemede or one of those little towns on the pike. They're all close together so I'm not sure which town it was. It was on the right hand side of the street coming from the direction of Camden, but before you got to Blackwood-Clementon Rd.

God Bless and I hope you can find him/her or someone good.

Karol