Desperate need of info! Please help.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by chldofGod, Sep 4, 2003.

1. chldofGod

chldofGod New Member

Hello, I am on a mission to help my mother. she has Fibromyalgia and over the past year has developed heart "issues". She has gone through numerous heart studies even had a surgical procedure to find out why her resting heart rate one minute over is over 125 or higher then the next drops to 40. No answer has been found in all the tests that have been done. Every doctor she has seen is asked if Fibromyalgia can cause heart problems and not one of them knows. They tell her to ask someone else.

Please help!! do any of you know any connection between Fibro and how it can or "if" it can affect the heart?

Any infiormation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless!!

Jody
  2. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul New Member

I have a friend who had problems with a racing heart beat that put her into ER. Finally, after seeing many doctors, many test and recieving an injection of medicine that actually stopped her heart for a few seconds, a young doctor said she should try taking extra potassium. She started taking an over the counter potassium pill and has not had any problems. I suggest your mom could try taking a spoon of molasses, it has potassium. I have had small heart flutters and slight racing heart beats for years, have had it checked out and nothing was found. The molasses has stopped the flutters and racing heart for me.
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Fibro patients are severly tissue deficient in Magnesium. Magnesium is the major nutrient that controls heart rhythm. While small amts. of potassium won't hurt, (unless your mom has low blood pressure, in which case ,avoid potassium), large amts. of magnesium will help a lot. Have her start with about 200 mgs. of Magnesium glycinate or citrate at bedtime, and work up to taking that amt. twice daily. It can cause diarreha if you raise it to fast, so take it slow. Most Americans get way too much sodium, and far too little magnesium, potassium and calcium for healthy hearts, or anything else.
    I also recommend at least 60 mgs. of COQ10 for anyone with heart problems.
    Lastly, she needs to drink at least a quart of water for every 50 lbs. of body weight daily. This helps plump up the floppy mitral valve most of us have. And, if she has not already had an Echocardiogram to check for Mitral Valve Prolapse (MVP), please ask for one. This is an easy test tht takes about ten minutes. 75% of Fibro people have an MVP and it is important to know if you have one for reasons of medical safety.
    You might also do a websearch for "dysautonomia" and/or "MItral Valve Prolapse Syndrome" ,which is a complete syndrome that includes heart palpitations and disturbances and fibro as some of it's symptoms. Dysautonomia is dysregulation of the autonomic nervous system (ANS), and if someone forced me to give a one word definition of Fibro, dysautonomia would be that one word. This can cause all kinds of problems in bodily functions that normals take for granted. If this keeps up, she may need a drug to restore normal rhythm, or even have a pacemaker. It's worth trying nutritional approaches before resorting to that.I imagine she is very uncomfortable with this going on.
    Best wishes,
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 09/04/2003]
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Post a separate message addressed to Madwolf. He is a PA and may have some ideas for you.

Love, Mikie
  5. libra55

libra55 New Member

Hi, I noticed the thread about potassium, also be very careful if you are using diuretics (as I do to control high blood pressure); it can flush out a lot of potassium and cause a deficiency. I have to have my potassium levels checked on a regular basis. Always check with a medical professional where potassium is concerned.

Good wishes,
    Michelle
  6. cat18882653733

cat18882653733 New Member

It sounds like your mom has what I have. I became ill last year, racing heart and then the ratewould drop. I had low blood pressure which would plummet when my heart rate when up. After seeing a cardiologist and having many tests done it was determined that I have a condition called neurocardiogenic syncope. This condition often goes hand in hand with CFS and Fibro. I have been taking Atenolol, Florinef and Potassium (the florinef depletes potassium) since Feb. My blood pressure is now in the normal range, heart rate is usually normal and I am no longer light headed or passing out.
  7. HuggyMummy

HuggyMummy New Member

I vaguely remember reading an article that siad heart attacks that occur in summer, especially during v hot weather, can be caused becuase of an imbalance between sodium and potassium (sodium too low because of sweating and thus potassium too high). Therefore, be v careful re potassium supps, as has already been mentioned.

(The reason I noted this was that my dear FIL died of a heart attack which started immediately after a beach session whilst on holiday - made me wonder is this was the cause of it.)

Hope you manage to get yr Mum 'sorted'

Hugs
    Ruth
  8. MaryCecelia

MaryCecelia New Member

My aunt has similar symptoms and was recently diagnosed with neurally mediated hypotension after having a tilt table test. There's lots of info on it at this site. Good luck. I'm sure you're worried sick.