Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cjr2003, Dec 2, 2011.

1. cjr2003

cjr2003 New Member

I have Fibro and CFS and my RX sleep med has stopped working completely. I took Lunesta for 5 years and switched to Trazodone about 7 or so months ago as I have been making my best effort to decrease the amount of RX med's I am on and go more natural or to a better med w/ fewer side effects. I have been on 150 mg of Trazodone and my system has adjusted to that dosage and so it no longer works. For the past 3 months I have been taking Trazodone w/ Diphenhydramine and Melatonin just to be able to fall asleep. But I don't stay asleep and end up taking more and more diphenhydramine and Melatonin to fall back to sleep after I have to get up in the middle of the night to visit the bathroom.

My Dr. is trying me on Amitriptyline but so far it hasn't even made me sleepy. I have stopped taking the Diphenhydramine as I am concerned about it's effects on my kidneys and I have an RX for Lunesta but I can't tolerate the side effects of it. For the past 19 years, I have had a serious sleep disorder and do not fall asleep period without an RX of some kind. I am looking into possibly purchasing Fibronol or L-Tryptophan. Which works better, or does it just depend on the individual?

Another question. . . Sleep Apnea runs in my family. Could this have something to do with why I cannot fall asleep naturally? I snore sometimes but not alot. I know that snoring is a symptom of sleep apnea. There are several members of my family with it. PLEASE HELP. I AM WAY PAST DESPERATE FOR SLEEP AND KNOCKING MYSELF OUT WITH SLEEPING PILLS JUST MAKES ME FEEL HORRIFIC THE FOLLOWING DAY(S). I feel like I am losing my mind. The less sleep I get, the more migraine's I have and the worse my fibro is. PLEASE RESPOND ASAP
    Also.. .I am on many OTHER med's for my fibro. I believe some of them contribute to my insomnia.
  2. inbetweendays

inbetweendays New Member

I am having similiar issues.....people are also thinking they are so funny--and telling me stuff like you should go and get some propafol....hahhaha! my life is completely ruined and all i get are jokes and insults..

anyhow--i would run and not walk to a doctor rodger murphree--you can do a phone consult---he is very much involved in assisting people in getting a handle on the sleep issue--AS IT RELATES TO OUR PARTICULAR ILLNESS---which is huge. He is in Georgia.....just a suggestion...but you will never be well unless you get the sleep under control--im sure you know this,...dr. m--says we are as a group unable to make the chemicals in our brains needed for sleeping...
  3. ProHealth

ProHealth Member

So sorry to hear about all the trouble you'd had with sleep! Since you asked specifically about ProHealth products, you may want to look at our FibroSleep:

"FibroSleep is a powerful sleep aid that is a combination of pure, natural ingredients to support deep, restorative sleep. Although developed for those with Fibromyaligia anyone with a sleep disorder will experience sleep support in four important and synergistic ways: Herbal sleep support, digestive support, muscle and nerve support, amino acid support."

You can read more at the link above about each individual ingredient.

There are also 49 reviews that you may want to look through.

We have a money-back guarantee on all of our supplements, so if it doesn't work for you, you can return it.

As always, make sure to check with your doctor before making any changes to your health care, especially when you are taking prescription medications.

- ProHealth
  4. ruti

ruti Member

I agree - it is a great product. Helps me a lot.

It is a lot healthier then regular sleep medications -

You might want to experiment with the time of taking it.
    An hour before bed time is good. If I take it very late at night and have to get up on a regular time I might be too
    sleepy (from the fibro sllep). When I take it on time - I am fine in the morning.
    I usually takle one at night although they recommand even 2.
    I know how hard it is not to get a good night sleep - hope it works for you
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Of adding a few paragraph breaks to your post to make it easier to read. Many of us need frequent breaks or we cannot read posts. I don't want anyone to miss you post. Wishing you good luck in finding quality sleep. It is essential.

Have you had a sleep study? I had one which showed that I never got into the right brain waves during the night. I take Klonopin to stop the misfiring and overfiring of my neurons. I sleep well now and wake refreshed. Klonopin is a heavy-hitter drug which requires weaning off of slowly if one decides to stop taking it. For me, it is a God send even if I have to take it the rest of my lie.

Again, good luck to you.

Love, Mikie
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Fibrosleep does look a good product, although I've never taken it. but the ingredients look good.

You'll see that it has 5-htp (5-hydroxytryptophan). 5-htp and l-tryptophan are related, both are amino acids which help produce serotonin. 5-htp has helped me with sleep for several years. However, if you are taking an SSRI anti-depressant, you probably should not also take 5-htp or l-tryptophan, as you may develop serotonin syndrome - too much serotonin - which can be dangerous. Many people who are on ADs actually do better taking 5-htp instead, and it has almost no side effects, unlike prescription ADs.

Have you ever had your cortisol levels checked? High cortisol levels at night are a major cause of insomnia. Several years ago my cortisol was found to be high at night, and I had severe middle of the night insomnia. Nothing would help it until I got my cortisol levels normalized. I was given Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) which helped almost immediately. I had to take it for several months, playing with the dose. A good test to check cortisol is the adrenal stress index test which any doctor can order. It's a saliva test which uses 4 samples taken during the day/night, so your levels are checked throughout the day. I also found that it was very important to take the Seriphos in the morning, something to do with circadian rhythms. It did not work properly when taken at night. Something else to look into, but really important to check out. The blood test for cortisol is not nearly as good as it only measures cortisol levels at one point during hte day, and the important thing is how they fluctuate.

Here's what I take to sleep:

about 2 hours before bed:

3 mg. melatonin
    100 mg. l-theanine (very calming amino acid)
    100 mg. 5-htp
    hops or chamomile

I generally go to sleep without any problem.

I usually have difficulty falling back to sleep in the middle of the night (although nothing like before) and so will take one 0.5 mg. lorazepam plus more hops or chamomile, and if still awake 1/2 hour later, will take one more 0.5 mg. lorazepam and more hops or chamomile. And that's it. After that I generally sleep really well until time to get up. I've been on that dose of lorazepam for 3 or 4 years and do not increase it, as I know you can develop a tolerance for it.

Good luck -

7. ruti

ruti Member

Thanks Mary - great information.

Is high level of cortisol at night is just the body's rhytm or can be lower by relaxation?

Fibro sleep has many of the things you take at night and it does feel that they work together sinergatically.
    I tried slow release melatonin ("Circadin" a fairly new product) and I felt more drowsy in the morning and I still needed help with quiting the intestence.
    I will learn your info
    Thanks Ruti
  8. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

Put me on Robaxin. It's a muscle realxer. I take two 50mg at night, along with 10mg Ambien. Don;t let the doctor try and tell you Ambien is not safe, It IS safe. I have been taking it for 4 years every night. Not the ER kind, jut the regular Ambien. Blue Spring makes the best pain relieving cream I have ever used, Not Icy Hot, not Sombra or Ben Gay. Blue Spring and you can order from their website.

9. GeminiMoon

GeminiMoon Member

I have both CFS & Fibromyalgia and have been taking Trazodone for over 20 years. I take 150 - 250 mg per night and generally sleep very well. I do not have a problem with taking more if I need it as I cannot function at all without sleep. I no longer care about trying to go natural; I need this med. I get my liver enzymes checked each year b/c I also take Cymbalta and am in perfect shape there. Trazodone is one of the safest & best meds you can take for sleep. I do take Melatonin in the winter months because I also suffer from seasonal affective disorder.

You may need to really do a cost/benefit analysis on just taking more Trazodone instead of trying to find other meds/supplements to go with it.

Just my thoughts; hope it helps.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/26/2011]
  10. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

High cortisol at night is abnormal, so it's not the body's normal rhythm. That's why it causes insomnia. Levels should be higher in the morning and lower at night. High levels at night can be caused or exacerbated by stress, and stress of course is very hard on the adrenal glands and can cause all sorts of problems including screwing up cortisol levels.

I would bet that relaxation and meditation would help normalize cortisol levels.

Seriphos worked so well for me, with no bad side effects, to normalize my cortisol levels. I had been under severe stress for many years. I've had a lot less stress now for several years plus I've been meditating daily for quite awhile and my cortisol levels are much better. But several years ago I had a serious problem with high cortisol at night and am really glad I had the Seriphos to help. It also made me feel calmer without sedating me. But I don't need it any more.

So yes, do try relaxation, meditation and so on.

Best wishes,

11. ruti

ruti Member

Did you get the test in your regular health clinic?
  12. Allen

Allen Member

A year ago I did some research and found Pro-Health's Fibro-Sleep. Totally all natural and it does work
  13. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

sorry, I didn't see your post until today.

I first had the adrenal stress index test done through Clymer Healing Center - they're on the web and are in Pennsylvania, and we did everything by phone and e-mail and regular mail. This was 8 years ago or so, so I don't have recent experience with them, but you can find them through google. At the time, their prices were reasonable and the test itself was around $100.

A few years later I had it done again, this time through a naturopath, and the cost of the test was about the same as before.

So I don't know if your regular doctor will order the test. It does require a doctor's order. and if you google the name of the test, you can get names of labs who do it and then you would have to get your doctor to order it. It's probably not on teh standard list of tests ordered by regular doctors unfortunately so you quite likely will have to educate your doctor about it (like almost everything else with CFS and FM!)

And you can also just go through Clymer and do it through them.

Goodluck -

14. Kittyweird

Kittyweird New Member

For me, Trazodone was far from being, "one of the safest & best meds you can take for sleep".<B
    Within days of taking it, I began experiencing horrible side effects, after my Dr. told me that there are no side effects to worry about. I had a migraine type headache the entire 2 1/2 weeks that I took it, as well as muscle & nerve spasms so severe that my whole body shook & jerked. My head jerked so badly that I looked like a bobblehead.

Although it made me sleepy, my sleep was not restful & I did not sleep through the night.<
    The withdrawal was just as, if not more painful & horrible.

I'm glad that Trazodone works for you, but please do not say that it is safe for everyone, as it is not.<BR
    I also, during my subsequent research, found out that Trazodone, although frequently prescribed, has not been effectively studied in Fibro patients.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/06/2012]
  15. GeminiMoon

GeminiMoon Member

I got my information from a board certified doctor who teaches rheumatology at Northwestern Hospital in IL; one of the best hospitals in the country.
    What internet sites did you get your information from?

Also, I mentioned that I have both Fibro AND CFS; the CFS I have had for 25 years & the Fibro for 1 year. Without sleep I could not function b/c of the CFS. I never said it was safe for everyone.
    Most people on this board understand that if something works for one person, it may not work for them.
    And they know that most of us are coming from a place of helpfullness & we don't normally criticize each other.
  16. wacquiebob

wacquiebob New Member

I was one of those people who had horrendous migraine headaches on Trazodone. I had to stop the drug; it was the worst headache pain I ever had in my life. I felt like the top of my head was going to blow off. It can work for some people though. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to try a lot of different drugs to find out what works for you.
  17. Saoirse3

Saoirse3 Member

Nine straight days without any sleep last week, and I tried everything legal. 100mg Robaxin, Benadryl, Ambien, and half a bottle of wine TOGETHER. Most people would be on the floor for days. Nothing. Not even a yawn. My doctor said a warm bath and warm milk. I wanted to drown him in one or the other! But since he "doesn't believe" in FM, he wasn't "overly concerned".

Insomnia is hell. Plain and simple. Yes, I was going through some bad family issues, but I had always been able to sleep a little bit. To hear "Oh, you're just stressed out!" and "Well, don't do anything DUMB!" is insulting and degrading.

I cannot wait to move to Atlanta. I will worship someone who understands this like an Egyptian god - Ra Ra Ra! LOL!
  18. GeminiMoon

GeminiMoon Member

So true wacquiebob! I wish I had a dollar for each and every pill or vitamin I have tried!
  19. Kittyweird

Kittyweird New Member

Sorry that you felt attacked. That was not my intention. I was just pointing out that Trazodone is not safe for everyone. I had very serious side effects from it, including heart palpitations , which I forgot to mention in my original post ,along with severe headaches, & muscle spasms. There is nothing wrong with presenting both sides of an issue.

After the pharmaceuticals were out of my system, I began taking Fibro Sleep. I love this product. It helps me sleep without feeling groggy. I am waking up feeling much better than I have in years.
    I also use Pro-Health's Fibro Energy & Maximum Wellness.
  20. Allen

Allen Member

I was addicted to Ambien for 3 years and slowly got off of it. Did lots of internet research. I take Pro Health's Fibro-Sleep and it does help....and its 100% all natural.
    All the best,