Desperately need everyones help!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Risk, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Risk

Risk New Member

Where to begin? Oh yes, this morning. I start my journey of 2.5 mg of generic Paxil at 7:30am. Keep in mind that I never tried the brand so I have nothing to compare it to. In the past I had been on zoloft and Lexapro. I was to start with 5mg but we know that sometimes we underdo it for fear of the unknown side effects.

Already side effects are kicking in (it's 10:30am). Anxiousness (more than before), feeling breathless, trembling and my eyes feel funny. Now I know our minds can do terrible things, but having fibro/cfs makes most of so sensitive to drugs.

I can't stay in the state of depression and anxiety that I was in. I also take klonopin (generic) .5mg 3 times a day.

I'm just looking for some hand holding. Sorry I live alone and am scared. At 49 you would think I would get over this!

Are there others on the boards who had an initial horrible experience with Paxil (regular or generic) and the side effects subsided?

Thank you for listening. I'm so happy for the message boards.

2. pam112361

pam112361 New Member

I had a bad experience with Cymbalta so I can sympathize with what you're going through. I would call your doctor's office and let them give you guidance.

3. Risk

Risk New Member

Pam, my psychiatrist says that I should hang in there and deal with the side effects. She said it's such a small dose but she doesn't realize how we react!

Sorry you had a hard time with the Cymbalta.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Hugs back,

4. Risk

Risk New Member

Hi Kina,

I'm supposed to start on 5mg and work up to 10, but today I was chicken and only took 2.5mg and that has kicked my butt. Major anxiety. I don't understand why some people do just great and then there's me that every anti-d makes crazy.

I pray that I get used to this fast.

Thank you!

5. ironspine

ironspine New Member

Hi, Rene!
    Sorry about your anxiety. I'm 48 and have lived with it too, tried 3 different meds, now I'm on Lexapro and it helps pretty good. I also take Trazodone at night, which is an anti-anxiety med. If you have trouble getting to sleep this is excellent. I've been taking 50mg once a night for 15 years with no problem. I still get anxious (I'm socially anxious!) but now I recognize the symptoms and try to it's only in my mind.
    I have a horrible anxiety attack with Zoloft.
    Any new med I try I have to have the lowest amount of it possible, I'm very sensitive to meds too.
    Good luck, keep trying till you find something!!!!!
  6. Risk

Risk New Member

Thanks Donna,

I had been on lexapro in the past. While it helped greatly with the anxiety, it did nothing for the depression. Also, I have a tachycardia problem and it seemed to make it worse. Please don't get scared - it's just something that I have, the lexapro didn't cause it. As for the Trazadone, I know of many who love it, but once again it's contraindicated for the tachycardia that I have.

Glad you found what works. I used zoloft in the past as well in the last year of being on it, I had horrid break through anxiety and palps.

I know I have to give this a try for awhile.

thank you

7. Risk

Risk New Member

Hi. I was told by the psychiatrist that since I'm already anxious that the med may increase it until my body gets used to it. The pill is so tiny that 1/4 is about as small as I can get. Every SSRI that I've been on has produced overwhelming anxiety in the beginning, but back then, I didn't have all the other stressors in my life.

Thank you for your reply.

8. loto

loto Member

but is it possible that if you take it for a few more days or a week the side effects may go away? can't remember what i took, but i know after a few days those scary side effects went away.
  9. Risk

Risk New Member

Today is day 5 of a little less than 5mg of generic paxil (pills so small hard to break!). I'm feeling awful. Jittery, anxiety is doubled, shaking all over the place and energy is nil. As if I had any before. Does anyone know how long this will last? I'm not even on the therapeutic dose yet. Oh did I mentioned the nausea??? Who makes these drugs? Grrrr.

10. greatgran

greatgran Member

I am so sorry you are having such a time with the paxil believe me I can so relate. I have tried AD's and for some unknown reason I can't take them, or think I can't. My psych. way back when, started me out on 2 mg of paxil and .25 of xanax. I took the paxil for about 3 days and couldn't stop yawning and had a choking feeling. I didn't think it could be the paxil but I stopped it and the choking feeling and yawning went away. I have tried Celexa, Lexapro, Zoloft etc. at small doses. The Celexa and Lexapro gave me horrible anxiety and I felt like bees buzzing in my head and thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest. The zoloft made me feel weird and the last time I tried it I had the yawns so just stopped but I feel if I could take any it would be zoloft.

So, finally after two years the psych. told me I was one that just couldn't take AD's he said some people just can't even at small doses. I still take xanax , have been on it for 8 years I haven't increased my dose but feel I need to as it just seems to take the edge off now so guess I have built up a tolerance. I too am med phobic and for 2 years I thought the side effects were my head, maybe some where but I know some weren't.

I don't want to be discoutaging but this is just my experience. Now , I have two friends the
    are on Paxil and it has done wonders for them but they had no side effects from the beginning except for a little nausea. I know AD's help so many, I sure wish I could take them.

Keep working with your doctor and I do hope the side effects go away, I have heard that it could take up to 2 weeks. Wish I had an answer but sure can relate. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

God Bless,
  11. Risk

Risk New Member

I know, I have such a hard time with them too. I was on zoloft, hard adjusting but did well for 8 years until all the stressors came into my life, then lexapro, helped with anxiety not depression and felt weird. So now with the paxil I'm seeing a psychiatrist who is awful. She said that I can't possibly be experiencing these type of side effects from the dose I'm on. Is she in my body? She says that all of them have the same reactions and i can't be experiencing what I am on such a low dose.

I've read many of your posts. You truly are an inspiration. And I've read what a hard time you've also had. I do take klonopin, but it's not keeping the anxiety and depression away.

Big hugs!

Oh, I get that choking feeling too! As if something is stuck in my throat and makes me feel like I have to vomit. Yuck
    [This Message was Edited on 03/08/2009]
  12. spacee

spacee Member

He says some some people just can't take AD's. He says to try samE.

I can't take AD's. I tried the 5HTP that you can buy here or health food stores, maybe even Walmart. It is the precursor to serontonin. So it will help rise the serotonin level in you. Which is what most AD's do.

Can't take the 5THP either. I have this skin pain and AD's and 5htp put me in a fetal position in bed from the pain. brother who is a doc (MD) said to try samE. There is the 400mg and 200mg. I got the 400mg. I took it and it was like my body was craving this. I had to take it three times a day at first. Then my body seemed to have enough and I cut down to twice a day.

When I posted that my body was craving samE. RichvK posted back that samE is the "major actor" in the methylation pathway. That is a pathway that everyone has and the researchers think there are genetic blocks that cause CFS and other problems.

The PBS doc said to not use St. John's Wort if you feel anxious but to try samE.

It is expensive, of course! But if you get to a point where you can cut down then it is the same as my highest insurance co-pay.

Good luck to you Risk...I hope you find something!! BTW, I am 59.

13. Smurfette17

Smurfette17 New Member

Hi Risk-

I'm following your journey and sending good vibes. I'm glad that you have the Klonopin to help with the anxiety effects.

I can understand how scary it is to try a new AD. I am gun-shy too after having bad experiences with Lexapro, Cymbalta and Zoloft (Cymbalta was probably the best). It does help to have something like Ativan or Klonopin on hand to get through the initial anxiety. I hope you are able to break through the side effects to see some benefits. Just take it one day at a time and listen to your body.

As for doses, I think many doctors don't understand how sensitive we are to meds. My psychiatrist is patient and knowledgeable, but not so much about CFS (even though she says she has fibro patients). With the Cymbalta, she started me at 30mg and I wonder if she had started me at 20mg (lowest dose), things could have worked better.
  14. Risk

Risk New Member

I know a friend who took the 5 HTP and it gave her horrible heart palps and made her even more anxious. She also have fibro.

As for the samE - can you take it with klonopin? Or is there an interraction? I wonder, does it work on anxiety as well as depression?

Thank you for the great info.

15. Risk

Risk New Member

This is an awful journey to say the least. The klonopin helps a wee bit, and the shrink said I should way up it, but then it makes me depressed, gives me palps and I feel worse. I can't win.

And she doesn't understand how we are so sensitive! She wanted me to do 5mg of paxil for 4 days then up it 10. Not happening. I just barely got to 5 today and have these awful effects.

Glad the Cymbalta worked for you. How long did you have the side effects before you saw improvement? I just don't understand why anxiety has to be doubled before the meds kick in.

Thanks again!

16. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Been taking Klonopin 1 mg/night or more if needed and it's been my mainstay RX. Lately, life stress has increased my depression, sleep & pain, so went to a psychiatrist (lst time in many years), and cannot believe how unhelpful she was.

I told her I had tried every SSRI anti-depressant on the market, and just too many side effects. She says, just hang in there, and you'll "adjust". Then she tells me that my pain is because I need more exercise.........the worst thing I can do; been there; done that!!

I'm in my late 60's and have every auto-immune illness out there (all connected I believe).
    So I make up my own "recipes" rather than try other RX's. e.g. while under this huge stress right now, I'm going to up my Klonopin (night only); my Tryptophane is the direct precursor to Serotonin which I know I'm low in (going from 500 mg to 1,000) at bedtime; there's a Nerve pill by Hylands (homeopathic) that I give to my nervous dog. So last night I popped one of those. So I had less pain, more sleep & in the morning, to overcome what I have to take at night, I have a cup of organic caffeine w/vanilla rice milk to lift my mood, energy & wake my brain up.

I'm housebound after dealing with all of the above for over 40 years, so just have to keep getting creative as possible. Few Dr.s understand how sensitive we are. We have to learn to understand our own body & its limitations, etc.

Not an easy path. Healing to all..............caroleye

17. keetta

keetta New Member

Wow! You scare me! I was just diagnosed with FM and not too sure what to think about it, still thinking that the Dr. doesnt know what the hell he's talking about! I went in for a spinal shot for 2 bulging disks and got this...
    I really dont know what to tell you about the meds effecting you like that, Ive been on several different types of antidepresents through the last 7 years and the only one that effected me like that was cymbalta and it was only when I would forget to take a pill. My eyes would start to feel heavy and felt like they were jumping around and I would get really off kilter when I would look around too fast. Not sure if this is what your feeling, but seriously you should call your Dr.'s office and let them know whats going on. It may be just that you have to give this med. some time to get adjusted or that you started on a dose too high for you...dont wait, call someone but dont stop taking it either. I know that sounds strange, but if you just stop taking it it could be even worse than what your going through now.
    Im really sorry your having to go through this and be there alone, but just know that your not completely alone, there are "the others" out here to help you out, even if its just to talk to...
    Sending good vibes your way, breath.......
  18. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I would be careful about making your own "recipes". This can be dangerous.

I would definitely go to another psychiatrist. You may want to ask a pharmacist about mixing some of these medications. I have found over the years that they are a valuable resource.

Take care and wishing you the best.

19. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I simply do not know where to begin as far as Paxil is concerned. I took this drug back in 1997 at 20 milligrams, once per day. I continued with that dose for almost 3 years. I do not remember how I initially felt when starting the Paxil since it was so long ago, but I can tell you what I did experience while I was on this drug.

Please be careful about weight gain with this drug. I gained almost 100 pounds from it. Other side effects were: a lack of feelings and emotions, kind of a feeling of indifference, not happy and not sad, just "there" emotionally. The weight started packing on me. Now, this was back over a decade ago when doctors were not informed that this drug can cause huge weight gains, I did so much research on this drug, I felt that I knew more than my doctor did. I needed to get off of it desperately or else I was afraid I would risk higher blood pressure, or maybe even diabetes.

After giving my doctor a lot of print outs that I printed off the internet, she agreed I needed to be off the drug. This is when the situation became worse, the side effects of withdrawing from this drug was horrible. I experienced flu like symptoms, weird feelings in my head, a horrbile feeling of doom. Later on, I discovered that so many people were going through the same thing I was while coming off this drug.

The good thing is that I did lose about 10 pounds after withdrawing from the drug without even trying. The whole process of withdrawing from Paxil took about 2 months. After that, I was back to my old self and was extremely grateful. I also was able to take off the weight that I gained because I was no longer on this drug.

I know you are scared and living alone as I read in your post, but PLEASE be careful about this drug, there are many other newer ones out there if you really feel that you need to take something for your depression and anxiety.

Being on Paxil was a journey that I wish I could erase from my mind. Any time you are put on an antidepressant, you need to be monitored because of the side effects that come from these drugs whether you are experiencing side effects from being on it, or from getting off of it, either way or both. Only a psychiatrist can accurately assess the unique capabilities, and drawbacks of these drugs, family physicians do not have this particular training.

These drugs SHOULD be given out only by a psychiatrist, not a general doctor, gynecologist, neurologist, only a psychiatrist is specifically trained in this area, I know because I work in a hospital in the medical records department for psychiatry and on the medical side as well, but this wasn't the case back in 1997, I didn't know much about the drug either back then.

I was given this drug by a family doctor, and she didn't know much about it at all, but I found that out after I was given this drug and this MD's lack of knowlege about it was unbelievable.

Sorry, such a long post, but I can't stress enough to be careful about this drug. Good luck and hugs to you, Chelz.

20. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Chelz, You are absolutely right. Even with a psychiatrist it is important to ask a lot of questions such as why one drug is given instead of another, how the doctor is going to monitor you. One psychiatrist I knew would have his NA call patients every couple of days a week until the person had a follow up which was in six weeks when a starting a new AD. Unfortunately, that is the exception and not the rule.

Risk, I would talk to your doctor ASAP. Also if you are alone is there someone you can stay with until you get over the side effects or have it out of your system?

From my experience Paxil is an AD that does put on the pounds and is sometimes is called PPP because of that.

If you feel extreme agitation, or so down you have suicidal thoughts, call please call 911.

Take care and let us know how you are doing.

ETA OMG, I did not realize this is an old post. Has anyone heard from Chelz? I am afraid this is what happens when old posts are bumped when a new one would suffice. I do hope if she sees this, she will let us know.[This Message was Edited on 08/23/2009]