Desperately need help, opinions please!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msbsgblue, Sep 28, 2010.

  1. msbsgblue

    msbsgblue Member

    I moved back to Missouri after living in WA state for 5 years. I took 2 Percocet a day before I moved to Wa, reason my doctor in Branson saw Ultram did nothing for my pain.

    During the 5 years in WA my doctor there advanced me slowly to 6 a day IF I needed 6.

    I moved back, my daughter wanted me to go to her doctor in Cape Girardeau where I now live.

    Long story short without even so much as s word to me she cut me off my pain meds, did not taper me off. She did this after my first visit because when my daughter went to her appt. 2 weeks later she discussed me and my meds with our doctor. THIS IS PATIENT CONFIDENTIAL stuff. My daughter told her she did not like me taking pain meds and wanted to go into my next appt. with me to find out why I took them and what they were.

    Now on my first visit she had refilled my pain meds and told me to phone in on the next 30 days and she would refill. So, 30 days later when I call she just said no, no reason.

    Imagine my surprise 5 weeks ago when I went to my disability hearing and hear from the judge that she has posted on my medical records that I am ADDICTED to pain meds. Now there is not a doctor in this part of country that is going to help me with pain.

    Can I file suit since she lied and since she spoke to my daughter without my permission, should I notify the hospital as she has her office there, should I write the administrator.

    What do you think I can do to get this off my record. If I HAD been addicted I would have had severe withdrawals and I had none.

    NOW MY PAIN is so bad that I am only getting 2-3 hours sleep in a 24 hour period. This of course only makes me more stressed and in pain.

    By the way is there anything you can think of other then heat or rub on meds that I can do for the pain for the meantime. I am 64 have severe arthritis and FM, have had FM for 24 years and continue to get worse. [This
    [This Message was Edited on 09/28/2010]
  2. msbsgblue

    msbsgblue Member

    This way sort of my opinion but I would like to hear from several more of you.

    I don't really have money to file a suit. I am in process at age 64 from an abuser and my social securuty just won't stretch that far as it is small.

    By the way, I have done research on how to see if a patient is addicted, I had none of the symptoms and also a doctor is to slowly wean one off these. Had I been addicted I would have been in pure h--l.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/28/2010]
  3. TigerLilea

    TigerLilea Active Member

    I would make another appointment with this doctor and have a talk with her and explain your pain and how it affects your life, including sleep. If you have severe arthritis and FM, then you should ask this doctor to send you to a pain or arthritis specialist if she is no longer willing to treat the pain herself.

    You should let her know she had no right to label you an addict after only one visit and on the word of your daughter and that if she doesn't take it off your record immediately that you will be left with no other choice other than to consult with a lawyer.

    And I would also tear a strip off your daughter if you haven't already done so. She had absolutely no right to go behind your back like that. If your daughter had concerns she should have talked to you about it. I'm not on pain killers, however, I make it a habit to not discuss meds with family and friends. It's none of their business what I take.
  4. msbsgblue

    msbsgblue Member

    Was the other way around. I am having to live at daughters until senior housing has an opening. My daughter screamed and yelled at me for saying I was going to report this doctor. I dare not bring this up again.

    The doctor won't see me or talk to me. My daughter told me she was madder then he-- when my daughter left there, mad at me that was.
  5. msbsgblue

    msbsgblue Member

    Thank you, thank you.

    You can bet I will get right on this tomorrow.
  6. msbsgblue

    msbsgblue Member

    I plan to use most of this imformation to contact HER in writing. Yes, it is a woman, that he-- was substituted for hell, and she is suppose to be one of the best internists in town.

    Having researched addition symptoms of my Percocet and before coming here having to check in with my physician who prescribed for me every 2 months to see that I was using my meds as was appropriate, this woman has overstepped her bounds.

    I had no symptoms of addiction at all. She simply ask me was I aware that on occasion SOME people could become addicted to them to which I replied that yes I was, but that my doctor in WA had monitored me carefully and assured me that my dosage was not extreme and I was fine.

    I am definantly taking action now. Thank you again.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/28/2010]
  7. quanked

    quanked Member

    I believe that this can be considered a crime. A friend of mine was working a medical office and one of the reasons she finally quit was the issues around confidentiality. I will talk to her and get some info. She had to travel to many trainings on HIPPA--she hated it.

    She said there was the potential to be prosecuted over violations related to HIPPA--

    The HIPAA Privacy Rule provides federal protections for personal health information held by covered entities and gives patients an array of rights with respect to that information. At the same time, the Privacy Rule is balanced so that it permits the disclosure of personal health information needed for patient care and other important purposes.

    The Security Rule specifies a series of administrative, physical, and technical safeguards for covered entities to use to assure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of electronic protected health information.

    If you believe your rights are being denied or your health information isn’t being protected, you can
    File a complaint with your provider or health insurer
    File a complaint with the U.S. Government

    There is lots of information on this site.

    I strongly encourage you to handle this issue carefully. You may want to seek legal advice from outside of your community. You may want to contact the above agency in the link above. Another consideration is contacting the ombudsman for the elderly in your state--sorry I just checked and the ombudsman is for the elderly in longterm care.

    this is also part of the website Agency Area on Aging--they offer legal services

    A community can close ranks against an outsider. Your dr. already sounds unreasonable.

    It is unfortunate that your daughter is interferring in your medical care without your permission. Her behavior borders on elder abuse. I am so sorry that you are in such pain.

    The missouri government website is not the most friendly site I have been on. But do not give up--I think you can find some help there.

  8. kat211

    kat211 New Member

    Report her to the the medical board immediately.

    Find a new doctor. Interview then b/f choosing them. Tell them everything. Do you have your medical records from prior to your move? If not get them and take them to your new dr. Also get your records from this 'doctor' b/f you report her.

    Hire an attorney. Interview many and choose one you are comfortable with in your gut and mind. You should be able to find one who will take you on contingency of a win.

    Report her to the hospital administrator. Make sure your ducks are in a row and you have all of your prior medical records to support you prior to reporting her.

    I would highly recommend NOT seeing this Dr again and DO NOT talk to her or anyone in her office about this. Do not give them any opportunity to prepare a cover up.


    I know I may sound like an alarmist, however there are some cases, such as this, in which you must take this type of action. Please, Please, do not allow this dr to hurt you like this.
  9. TigerLilea

    TigerLilea Active Member

    Something doesn't sound right to me. I would definitely report this doctor - just wouldn't mention it to your daughter :) Personally I would want to find out exactly what your daughter said to this doctor to get him that upset.

    I would definitely look for a new doctor and would not mention the doctor's name to your daughter. There would be nothing stopping her from making an appointment with your new doctor and talking with this doctor also. I think I would also mention what happened with the other doctor so that the new doctor doesn't think that you are trying to be sneaky. You might want to consider getting a letter from your old doctor in WA and having him outline how he treated your arthritis and FM, and the fact that he felt comfortable prescribing these meds and that he didn't see any indication of a drug dependency.
  10. quanked

    quanked Member

    You said this dr. would not see you. If this is true then I would tread carefully. I doubt that you will ever learn what your daughter said to the dr. He/she would have to admit to a conversation that could place him/her in jeopardy. I do not know your daughter and I do not know if she will ever give it up and if she does will she be completely honest or will she remember all she said.

    If you do not take steps to protect yourself from the get go you may find yourself in a very tough place indeed. You made the comment (I cannot see it as I am writing this so I may get it wrong) that because of what is happening with this current dr. you may not be able to get the pain medication you need from any dr. in the state. This tells me you sense, know, or believe the state is a closed system and very interconnected in regard to the medical community. If this is true, and it could be, then, again, I encourage you to consult with someone or some entity that you can trust for guidance.

    However, someone mentioned in this thread the idea of contacting your doc from WA state. This is a good idea. Write him/her a letter about your current dilema and ask for her/his help. If you could get him to write a summary of his tx of you and obtain a copy of your file with him/her you could use this as an introduction with a new doctor of YOUR choice. You might want to tell the new doc what happened with the unethical and unprofessional doc to prevent an future difficulties that might pop up because of this incident.

    This may turn out to be the most easiest road for you to take. Do not let the bad doc off the hook though. Report this incident to the state medical board, the AMA, and to the feds who created HIPPA. There are sites that have info about various docs. Leave your report on one or more of these sites. This sounds harder than it is. Just write up one document explaining this incident and copy and mail to the various agencies.

    Keep us posted.

  11. gapsych

    gapsych New Member

    This has to be an awful situation. Don't have any suggestions as you have already been given many, but hang in there and keep us up to date.

    What do you think your doctor in Washington would say about this?

    Take care.

  12. Bunchy

    Bunchy New Member

    I remember you - sad to hear your predicament.

    Can you contact your old doc to ask him for old records and a supporting letter?

    I'm not sure how things work across the pond but that's what I did when I moved docs (I'm in the UK) and my new doc eventually came round.


    Love Bunchy xxx
  13. msbsgblue

    msbsgblue Member

    Yes, I recall many of you here.

    My doctor in WA will cooperate with me I am positive. I may have to pay for a copy of my med records but I am willing to do that.

    I put a BIG RED HOLD on my medical records in WA that they NOT be sent to this doctor here, I just knew I wasn't going back to her since the first time I saw her she was one of those know-it-alls. You could just tell that because she is an internal D.O. she really thought she is something. She came in the room with an attitude. I had typed a letter up for her about how long I have had this illness and about the two car accidents, neither my fault, had nearly taken my life some years back. I ask that she read it so she knew my background. She threw it aside like I had not even given it to her.

    She really did no exam, all she did was look at my med bottles, write that down, then told me to lay on the table. She very lightly ran her hands down the tops of my arms and ask if they were sore. Of course they were and I told her. Then she raised my left leg, actually forced it higher then I can raise it normally, I sort of yelled as it hurt, and she ask "Does that hurt"? I wanted to tell her hell yes that hurt why did she thing I yelled.

    She gave me refills written on prescription pad for my blood pressure meds and irregular heart beat and then scooped up the rest of my bottles and went out to a desk in the hall. I knew at that point that I was in trouble.

    I also had told her that Mevecor was the only cholesterol med that did NOT make my muscles worse, so what did she do, put me on a different one. She took my 5 mg. prednisone away as well, not tapering me off those, saying they did more harm then good and probably was not helping my imflammation anyway. She also took another med of mine away but at the moment not looking at my old bottles I forget but it had nothing to do with pain.

    I certainly will follow up. I hate to say it but my daughter brought this up again tonight before I came here. I told my daughter I hope she never gets this illness but I would wish it apon her 1 week just to know the pain I suffer and how I am NOT sleeping now because of pain. I am getting about 2-3 hours a 24 hour period and that is not good.

    Daughter did ask if I was going to do anything about this to which I answered, "yes, I will not have my good name ruined by being labeled as a druggie." I was born, raised and know almost everyone in this city.
  14. msbsgblue

    msbsgblue Member

    I wrote to my doctor in WA state and ask that he write a letter for me stating that as I told you he had monitored me every couple months and found no problem with my dosage. I also ask him to be sure that my medical records are not sent to anyone unless I call them.

    I want his letter before I contact this doctor here that did me so wrong so that if need be I can send her a copy. This also gives me time to compose my letter to her since she won't see me. I want to get this just right.

    I hope to hear back soon. I will file the complaint online today.
  15. quanked

    quanked Member

    Sounds like your right on task. I hope your dr. in WA state responds promptly.

    I hope you find a new doc soon--one knowledgeable about FM and willing to work with you.
  16. msbsgblue

    msbsgblue Member

    If you were going to write to this doctor what would your first paragraph be? I am talking about the one who took my meds and talked to my daughter about me.

    Someone said go easy and I have a bad habit of going for the throat when I am this upset.
  17. justjanelle

    justjanelle New Member

    the best way to begin this kind of letter is just begin writing. You will probably want to do several revisions, and over the course of that revising you'll come to see what is the best beginning.

    My feeling is that if your instinct is to "go for the throat" then go ahead and do that in your first draft. But then set it aside for a day or two before doing your revision... and then another day or two for the revision after that ...for however many revisions you feel are necessary until you feel satisfied with it...and then wait a day or two again before you mail it. This will give you a chance to look at it with "fresh eyes" each time, and you can decide at each point if you want or need to tone it down. Or amp it up, for that matter!

    This is the way I've written difficult letters in the past, and it works for me. I hope it works for you.

    I don't want to discourage you from "going for the throat" when you clearly have a legitimate grievance with this doctor, but you do want word your complaints in such a way that she won't just read the first sentence and then get mad and throw it out. I wouldn't advise "going easy" either because as so many here have said -- this doctor was clearly in the wrong in so many ways! So, maybe try for some kind of a strongly-worded middle ground as you do the revisions.

    Good luck with the letter and with your search for an understanding and ethical doctor to replace the bad one.


  18. msbsgblue

    msbsgblue Member

    I sent off the letter to my old doctor he will respond personally, I know him.

    I will take all this to heart.

    I love you all!
  19. rosemarie

    rosemarie Member

    My girls hate me being on Mscontin but they would never ever go to my doctor and ask him to stop my pain meds just because they dont' like me taking narcoitics. I would have a talk with your daughter and ask her why she did not talk to you first and tell you how she felt. She is wrong to have gone to your MD and your MD is wrong as well. I had a simalar situation. I had injured my self and was on workers comp, when I was up for a review to pay for my medical expencse's I was deined rebursement for my meds. When I looked at the papers I had gotten, and read where the day the workers comp person called to ask my md how I was doing with my meds, my doctor was out of town so the other doctor in teh paractice wrote in my chart that I was addicted to codine. I was angry that he butted in when he should have not said a thing. I was not his patient so he was wrong and it cost me quite a bit of money the would not be returned to me.
    I would all your new md , have all your medical records with you that explain why you were on what meds and the dosages of them. I would talk to the doctor and ask her why she listened to your daughter as she is not the patient you are. That is out of place. This doctor owes you to fix this on your file and all medical records, and I would suggest finding a new doctor who won't listen to your daughter instead of listening to you the patient.. YOu need to fight for your rights, talk to your daughter? and the md.

    Stand tall and don't let them walk over you
  20. msbsgblue

    msbsgblue Member

    I got my letter Friday from the judge and have now been denied for the 3rd time. My attorney told me the day of the hearing when we found out what she put in my records that she sure did NOT do us any favors.

    I am so discouraged. As most of you know I married a man from this site a bit over 5 years ago. Turned out he just wanted my disabilty to help his finances and that is when he began pushing me on the issue. Then I began getting my retirement social and he wanted me to give him my check.

    Later I found out that before he married me, he had about 6 live ins. They paid half of all his bills and house payment. He knew I would not live in unless married so he sure snowed me. Once they got smart and decided not to give him money he threw them out. Beware if this man comes back here and do not get invloved with him. He is also an abuser and control freak.

    I just received my divorce papers today. I hope now that I can do what social security told me and go back and draw spouse benefits off my first long term husband or I don't know how I am going to live. I don't draw much and then in the divorce he made me take over his Discover card payments too. Since WA Supreme Court has jurisdiction you cannot contest a divorce filed there.

    I am temporarily living in a one room apt in daughters basement but I have to get out, my bad knees and hips and getting worse by the day using the stairs.

    What a mess I am in, cannot sleep due to pain. Don't feel like going anyplace hurt all day.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2010]

[ advertisement ]