Desperately seeking advice

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bchurch, May 31, 2003.

1. bchurch

bchurch New Member

Desperation over my "mystery illness" has led me to this site, though I do not have CF. For more than 20 years (I am 48), I have lived with sporadic bouts of a "mystery illness" in which I experience debilitating fatigue, muscle aches, fierce headaches, and an inability to concentrate. The episodes last anywhere from 1 or 2 days to a week, and occur as many times as once a year to once or twice a month. They sometimes follow a period of stress, though not always.

I am now experiencing a bout of this illness that is now in its third week....the longest ever. I have a supportive family and a supportive boss (I work part-time; I had more episodes when I worked full-time) and do not suffer from depression (though I get depressed when I get this illness!).

Besides the "mystery illness," the only other medical condition I have is a heart arrythmia that is controlled through medication. I just had a complete physical. The doctor seemed to take my "mystery" symptoms seriously and did some extensive blood tests, but proclaimed me to be "perfectly healthy." But I'm not perfectly healthy! And I don't know where to turn next.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Mumu

Mumu New Member

This sounds like fibromyalgia. If you're only having these bouts occasionally, it might not be too late to reverse the process by eliminating as much stress as you can. Stress is one of the biggest "triggers" of the disease, and that is why you had the symptoms more when you were working full time rather than part time. Stress can be physical, mental, or emotional, or all three combined. We push ourselves too hard and don't take time to relax completely, and our bodies fight back by giving us these aches and pains so that we HAVE to slow down. Also make sure you get at least eight hours of sleep every night. Lack of sleep is another major stressor that triggers fibro. I wonder about the "heart arrhythmia" that you mentioned. Could it be mitral valve prolapse? That is very common in fibromyalgia and seems to be related to a deficiency of magnesium, so taking a magnesium supplement might help, too.
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

If you have an MVP, I'd bet you have Fibromyalgia. I would suggest extensive reading in the library at this site. I would also recommend Dr. Gerlad Poesnecker's and Dr. Bruce Rind's websites. Fibro is usually dx'd by a Rheumatologist, but most of them are very unhelpful with treatment. Are there any holistic M.D.'s near you?
    Magnesium, digestive enzymes, B complex, pacing yourself, a high protein diet, mild aerobic exercise daily, getting toxic people out of your life, and making your own health your #1 priority are all other things that will help.
    Klutzo
  4. AnnG

AnnG New Member

You were smart to go and get a physical and rule out any other problems. I think the most promising new treatment for FM is the natural remedies. You will find lots of info here from people who are actually in the same boat with you! Another thing I did is order tons of books from my local library on FM. They will "arm" you with more info. You do not have to have a formal diagnosis to try natural things to make yourself feel better but sometimes it helps to have a name you can give people for why you are feeling the way you do. Write your history of being sick, symptoms, etc. and bring them to a rheumotologist. Even if you are not in a flare you can be diagnosed by any DR worth their salt. And, welcome to the board!