Desperation !!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by my2shadowz, Jul 3, 2003.

1. my2shadowz

my2shadowz New Member

I need some advice from anyone who can help. I am a 30 year old mother of 2 very young daughters. I have fibromyalgia and chronic depression. I take oxycontin (pain killer) and don't want to spend my life taking pills like that. They don't help anyway. I have been off my good paying job for 9 months now. My husband earns half of what I do. I don't know whether to quit my job and try to get on disability, or re-educate myself somehow. I don't know how much money I'd get on disability. Would I be able to put my girls through college or university someday? I don't know what I need to take in school to get a job that I could handle better than the one I have. I don't know what to do. I have been struggling with this decision for so long. I just want to be able to provide for my family, but I already wish I had a walker and a cane!
    Thank you for your time.
    Tracey
    Ontario, Canada
  2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Tracey, welcome to the board. Sure can't help with your problem. But I can tell you that I have raised three children with this illness, and two of the three put themselves through college. The other son was not interested.

I am sure others here can help concerning another profession for you in Canada, and also the disability.

Just wanted to welcome you to the board.

Shalom, Shirl
  3. Dara

Dara New Member

board. Here in the U.S. each state has a Department of Vocational Rehabilitation. They help you either find a job that better suits your disability or they offer advice and services to help you keep the job you presently have. They will pay for special equipment, like office chairs, etc., Of course, I do not know if you have anything like this in Canada, but might be worth checking into.

Dara
  4. my2shadowz

my2shadowz New Member

Thank you! I will look into it.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/03/2003]
  5. smilemona

smilemona New Member

Hi Tracey,

I received a letter from Social Security even before I was sick, that told me how much I would get in the event that I was disabled. This was based on how long I had had my current job and the amount I was making, I believe.

Perhaps you can call the respective agency in Ontario and see how much you might be entitled to. After having that knowledge, you can maybe make a more informed decision about whether to apply for it or try for a different job through re-education.
  6. my2shadowz

my2shadowz New Member

Thank you so much..
  7. Stillkicking

Stillkicking New Member

Relax. Try to live in the moment and don't worry about you kids education. Worrying does nothing but make you worse. Instead try to find out what made you sick. Make a list of all your problems from head to toe, when it began, how it began and other clues to what caused it. Then post it on this board. You have to believe it is fixable and work toward that end. With a little help, better treatment and understanding anything is possible.
  8. Dara

Dara New Member

I read your reply where you said that a person has to be off work for a year before you can apply for Social Security Disability. At least, I am assuming that's what you were referring to.

Anyway, I don't believe that is correct. I stopped working in Nov. of 2001 and applied in Feb. of 2002. I was denied twice and won my case in April of 2003. The first six months that you are disabled you do not receive any compensation, it's considered a waiting time. But, if a person is disabled they should apply immediately. Then, if something happens and things get better they can just drop the claim, but if disability continues at least you have got the paperwork in.

Just thought I'd let you know that you don't have to be off for a year.

Dara