DESPERATLY SEEKING ADVICE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by springlakeorphan, Dec 2, 2006.

1. springlakeorphan

springlakeorphan New Member

Thank you in advance for your support.Sorry this is long.
    I have been on temp disability (thru employer) for 2 months.My family dr took me off for one month due to fibro and cfs. He refered me to a pain management clinic.He in return set me up with PT 3x's a week, schedualed 3 mri's, an emg and a sleep study. I asked him to extend my disability for another month while I did these things and rested. He told me no but to have my family dr do it since he started the process. I faxed a note explaining my situation and a follow up call to his nurse asking if this would be a problem, to call me.
    I found out on Friday, that he had not done this.I went to see him in tears explaining that I will now loose my job and insurance. He said NO. He told me that he is not qualified, since he has not treatd me for the last month.We called the pain guy and he said NO because there is nothing wrong with me.
    I flipped out and all the stress has sent me into a major flare and panic attacks.
    I realize that none of you can really help me but any advice or support is greatly needed and appreciated.God bless us all. Mary
  2. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Mary:

I would suggest that you either return to your family doctor and explain what this situation has done to your health and request more time off from work, or find another doctor and explain the situation to them.

When you saw the pain management doctor, did he think that you were working? If he said that there is nothing wrong with you, does he not believe in FMS? If that is the case, I would ask your family doctor for another referral. Did the P/T help? Did any of the tests reveal any other problems?

Sorry that I do not have any great answers for you. I know it is hard to get approval for time away from work after the fact. I still think that your family doctor is your best bet. I am surprised that he did not change his mind after you flipped out and your panic attacks. Perhaps you need to make another appointment?

Good luck.
    Ingrid
  3. springlakeorphan

Yes, my pain management dr knew when I first say him that I was not working. He was in touch with my PT on a weekly basis. I can't say that the therapy did help; although I learned a few exercises.Yes the pain dr also said I have fibro. I found out through the therapist (she also got a report of MRIs and EMG) that I have a buldging disc, hernated disc and carpul tunnel. I sat in his office for 30 minutes explaining to him if I did not get this documentation to employer by 3:30 pm, that I would be terminated. Basicly they say that I abandoned my job.Both doctors replied NO.
  4. springlakeorphan

Thank you! Since I already consider you an angel, I figure you may have some pull up there!!
  5. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Shame on these doctors. I am so sorry they have treated you so bad.

I would be tempted to contact a attorney. I don't understand how your doctor could be so heartless. I can appreciate him trying to help you with pain management, PT etc., however to cut you off from disability so fast is terrible.

What does he mean he is not qualified? I totally do not understand.

Here is what I recommend. Put everything in writing to him now. Date your letter and kindly restate your case, and all of your physical problems. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease so don't give up.

Be very nice, and ask him again to please reconsider your case. You have nothing to lose. Perhaps he will have a legal problem if he causes you to lose your job when you have a legitimate request. He has been treating you and to say you have nothing wrong is insanity.

The reason I am saying to put this in writing is he may realize he is creating a legal problem for himself by refusing to help you. If you have proof you have physical problems that are disabling, it just does not make sense.

Maybe he is just too lazy to do the required paperwork.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/02/2006]
  6. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i'm sorry i cant advise as i dont know the us system but just to let you know, warm fuzzies your way xx
  7. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Was not due to abandonment it was due to illness.Your first FMLA form was filed out for a medical leave so the reason for your termination should be medical.

I had mine for a full year and when I was terminated the reason was medical it had to be cause that was the reason I was out.

Good luck
    Sue
  8. springlakeorphan

Smiffy79---I needed that!:)

Suzetal.I hadn't thought of that. I just assumed it was job abandonment but the illness part may help me if I decide to go the SSDI route.I'm sure it will look much better if I get fired due to health issues. Thank you for your insite! Mary
  9. springlakeorphan

I have pretty much been thinking the same thing. I do not know as of yet what is in my medical records. I know what the doctors have told me but wether or not it is written up is another story.
    When it comes to ssdi--I will probably incounter another NO from the doctors.
    Time will tell....
  10. mezombie

mezombie Member

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. These doctors have absolutely no bedside manner. What if their income was suddenly jeopardized like this?

Anyway, I do have some advice.

I would get copies of all of your medical records from both doctors. Be adament. Offer to pay for them, or even come over to their offices and copy them yourself!

I would also hire a lawyer familiar with SSDI, and FMLA if that's what you've been using. Have the lawyer go through the medical records and write draft letters for the doctors, focusing on the parts of your record that apply to your inability to work.

Make appointments with both doctors. Bring the lawyer and the draft letters with you.

That will wake them up! But make it very clear that you're not trying to be adverserial. Tell them it's just that your legal right to disability leave is at stake. Explain that you understand they're busy, blah, blah, blah which is why you had someone do their homework for them and come up with suggestions that would everyone out.

Then the lawyer can do his/her job and explain the draft letters to the doctors.

If all goes well, you will end up with the documentation you need to continue your disability leave.

Oh, and are you sure you're about to be fired? Do you have any vacation or sick leave days you can take?

11. springlakeorphan

Great advice. How scarey to involve a lawyer.I have been off work the last month with no medical leave. It expired on Nov 7.I have used all of my vacation. My employer must wait 30 days to send me the letter. So I am just waiting.

Unfortunatly for all of us, a radioligist reads our MRI"s and sends a report to the doctors involved.Most family doctors are "not qualified". So we are at the mercy of a radioligist that we never see or who does not have access to our records.
  12. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Go back to your doctor and tell him you are depressed and having panic attacks. We have to learn how and what works in their mode of understanding.

Depression and panic attacks can get people disability I know my sil has both and was retired early on medical.

Do what you have to so your insurence is protected. You aren't lieing you have to be going threw depression after all this. After all its the medical community that says people with CFS/FM are depressed so use it when you need to .Ask for anti depression drugs that could help with your problems.

You should not have to go threw all this its not good for your health and they know what they need to say to make it work for you.
    As for your pain management Doc find one who understands CFS/FM ask for a 2nd opinion
    What may help also is asking your doctor for a mental health doc to help you threw the emotional part of these DD's.
    You are in my Prayers remember" what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger"
  13. kirschbaum26

kirschbaum26 New Member

Dear Mary:

I think you might need to involve an attorney. I would go back to your family doctor and tell him all your symptoms and request that he give you medical leave from that moment on..then perhaps you can keep your job? Ask if the gap month can be at no pay, and then you should be able to keep your insurance and your job. I am fairly sure that I would not go to your pain doctor again, he obviously is not going to help you in any way. Request a new referral from your family doctor. Also, tell family doctor about depression, panic attackes, etc.

I do not understand why doctors will not help us out. We are obviously in pain, and therefore cannot work, but they make it so hard for us to get pain relief and time off from work to heal, or even permanent time off from work.

I feel bad for you and hope that you can work something out. Make sure that if you do indeed lose your job it is not for job abandonment, but due to your illnesses.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

I had a similar thing happen, but it was my employer who refused to allow my medical leave even though I had the documentation from the doctor. They claimed that I did not get it to them in time...and that the leave was denied, I had to use 2 weeks of my saved up vacation. It was all because I had a very nasty supervisor for about a year...she really hated me, as I am a single mother and my company has a lot of different plans and programs for single mothers and she is 20 years older than me and did not have those options when she was a single mother. I nearly filed a grievance against her, but she got laid off before I decided to do it.

Ingrid
  14. springlakeorphan

I have an apointment with shrink on Thursday. Never really diagognosed with depression but my family dr did give antidepressant to help with the fibro.I had a few panic attacks many years ago due to divorce but counsiling helped.
    Perhaps this doctor can help me. Cannot afford to lose insurance...especially now.
    Thanks for your support!! Mary
  15. springlakeorphan

I don't know anything about medacare. I thought that was only for really old people! Not sure who qualifies?
  16. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Now it is time to take the gloves off. You do not need to be afraid to contact a attorney. Try to be strong.

17. pamlamb

pamlamb New Member

First off, do you have fmla? if so, it should be good for a certain amount of time/hours, usually a year. You can't be fired for health reasons. When you go to your dr's, document everything, every compliain, and while you still have insurance, go for everything you can, physical and emotional. The more you have docummented the better. This may take you a long time for disability so be prepared. Find out if their is a pain clinic for fibro. If so go there, or for a different reason, migraines, any pain that needs to be controled by a pain center. I made a lot of trips to the ER for migraines, and eventually got put in hospital for them. Disability will be looking for documentation for all your problems. Just try to be persistant and do all you can while you have ins, and then a county hospital cannot turn you away for no insurance. This is your fight to fight, and I know it will be hard and take a lot of time. Keep the faith and doccument everything! Also, search for a new DR. Is there a fibro group you can join? Also a good place to get help and advice, and a new Dr. Good luck and hang in there. Do everything you can to "squeak the wheel" and someome will hear you eventually. Sincerely, Pam
  18. springlakeorphan

As i have been awake most of the night, I decided to go back to my family dr and complain!!! I will take a list of every issue amd pain that I have and bug the s**t out of him. Maybe he will realize that I do need help.I cannot go back to the same pain management dr. I cannot see somone who I have no respect for.
    Thank you for your advice and support! Mary