Detox bath reaction?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by panthere, Mar 2, 2009.

  1. panthere

    panthere Member

    Hello, I decided to stat doing detox baths (hydrogen peroxide, epsom salts) last week. I felt nothing after my first one (quick one), then had horrible headache after second (20 mins, not super hot water) and yesterday I took my third bath (20 mins, not super hot water). I woke up this morning with sore muscles, pain in my back (my kidneys?), my sides. It feels like I worked out, but I did nothing out of ordinary yesterday. I also got sore throat when I woke up. Did anyone have a similar experience? Am I just detoxing? Why didn't I get the same reaction first two times? Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!
  2. Forebearance

    Forebearance Member

    Hi panthere,

    I haven't done those specific baths you're doing, but the symptoms you're experiencing are familiar to me. It sounds like the baths might have possibly stirred up some toxins, and you couldn't eliminate them quickly enough. Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt! lol

    Here is some stuff I do to cope:

    Drink water with lemon, or water with apple cider vinegar in it.
    Take soluble fiber. (like Benefiber, psyllium, oat bran, etc.)
    Take molybdenum for the headache.
    Get outside and breathe fresh air.

    I hope that helps. Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if your back pain was your kidneys. I learned where they are pretty quickly when I became sensitized to mold toxins!

  3. richvank

    richvank New Member

    Hi, panthere.

    My hypothesis for people who don't tolerate Epsom salts baths well is that they have significant populations of sulfate-reducing bacteria in their guts, as part of their dysbiosis. These bacteria are known to be able to inhabit the human gut, and they are known to be able to chemically reduce sulfate to hydrogen sulfide. Hydrogen sulfide is metabolized to sulfite, and has to pass through sulfite oxidase, which may not have enough capacity, especially if there is a molybdenum deficiency. If sulfite builds up, it causes headaches, among other things.

    This is the only way I have been able to explain this phenomenon, because there is no pathway for chemically reducing sulfate in the human biochemistry, and excess sulfate is excreted in the urine.

    Incidentally, this same type of bacteria is the main one responsible for converting inorganic mercury to methylmercury in bodies of water in the environment, which is what leads to high levels of it in the larger fish, and the EPA limit on eating fish by pregnant women.

    [This Message was Edited on 03/02/2009]
  4. panthere

    panthere Member

    Is there anything I can do for that? Or should I just stop using epsom salts?
  5. richvank

    richvank New Member

    Hi, panthere.

    I can't give individual treatment advice unless a licensed phyisician is directly involved to review my suggestions, but I can tell you that some people have reported that they have gotten relief from sulfite-induced headaches by supplementing molybdenum at about 500 micrograms per day. I would recommend consulting with your doctor about this if you want to consider it for yourself.

    Though I don't know of any reported experiences of elimination of Epsom salts reactions by treating gut dysbiosis, it would seem in theory that restoring normal beneficial bacterial populations in the gut might decrease the population of sulfate-reducing bacteria. But that's just an unproven hypothesis at this point.

  6. Jayna

    Jayna New Member

    I don't know anything about the chemistry involved, but as soon as I quit adding the hydrogen peroxide (which I could smell the whole time I was in the room), the Epsom salt baths stopped bothering me at all and were very relaxing.
  7. bobbycat

    bobbycat New Member

    what amount of the two do you put in.
  8. panthere

    panthere Member

    For all your suggestions.

    Rich, my husband takes molybdenum, so i might try it.

    I definitely will try separating all the ingredients to see which one is giving me trouble. I think I also put too much, about 2 cups of epsom, plus 16 oz of hydrogen.

    I heard about ginger baths. I am allergic to ginger when I eat it (get crazy bloated), so I was reluctant to try adding it to the bath.
  9. simonedb

    simonedb Member

    rich that is interesting
    not sure if this relates but i noticed a couple years ago a correlation i thought to sulfite ingestion and bad headaches
    so would taking msm or methione be wise and relevent?

[ advertisement ]