Detox Bathes As Told By My Doctor...THEY HELP!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by skierchik, Feb 23, 2006.

1. skierchik

skierchik New Member

As per my doctor these are the bathes he has me doing and I'm feeling less fatigue.

Take a detox bath by soaking 20 minutes in 101-105 degree water with the following additives:
    Day 1 and 2: Add 1 cup baking soda to bath water
    Day 3, 4 & 5: Add 1/2 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup Epsom salts to bath water
    Day 6 & 7: Add 1 cup Epsom salts to bath water

- As you soak in tub, continue to add hot water as needed to keep the temperature up.
    - The goal is to break a sweat. Once you have done so, start draining the tub while you are rinsing off in the shower spray with luke warm water. This will wash the toxins off your body and down the drain.
    - To dry off, only PAT your skin. Do Not Rub. Use a fresh towel each time from day 3 on. Do not reuse a towel during the Epsom salt portion of detox bath protocol, until you have laundered it.
    - Do this 7 days, skip 7 days, repeat for 7 days. Repeat no more than 2 times (or 2 - 7 day intervals) per month. Otherwise, you will need to supplement with a broad-spectrum trace mineral.

For Sensitive Skin:
    Day 1 and 2: Add 1 cup baking soda with 1 Tbsp comfrey root powder to water
    Day 3, 4, & 5: Add 1/2 cup baking soda, 1/2 cup Epsom salts and 1 Tbsp comfrey root powder to bath
    Day 6 & 7: Add 1 cup Epsom salts, no baking soda and 1 Tbsp comfrey root powder to bath

Note:
    If you are on municipal/chlorinated water, you may want to consider getting a carbon filter attached at the hydrant. Some people are sensitive to soaking in hot, chlorinated water.

That's it!! It's simple, cheap and works well.

Happy detoxing,

skierchik
    [This Message was Edited on 02/24/2006]
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Sounds like a good plan...we'll try it!
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Thanks. My gyne told me that we should always wash our "private areas" down with ordinary water after so we do not leave traces of salts there.

I did not know this before.

Love Anne C
  4. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

and none expensive!!
    Our water is heavy with iron, wonder if that's a problem?
  5. Daisys

Daisys Member

I crave these baths. I take one every day, but I put epsom salt and baking soda in every day. Funny, I had to have them hot as I could stand them until 2 days ago and suddenly I want them warm. I'm listening to my body, it must know what it wants for a reason. I also add a little hydrogen peroxide. This is from another recipe. Also, from another source, dry brushing is recommended before the bath. I usually forget, but it sounds like a good idea. You brush towards your heart. It's to move the lymph system and that helps get the toxins moving on the way out. My skin has never been in better condition.
  6. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I don't know about the iron and bathes, but I wouldn't think it would be good to drink. You might want to look at a whole house filter. Someone once told me they were around $200.

I am so glad everyone is doing some kind of detox bath!!

skierchik
  7. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I've never done a detox bath, but it makes sense to me. How much baking soda do you add on day 1 and 2 for sensitive skin? 1 cup? Where do you get comfrey root powder? How much water do I add? (Just kidding on that last one! LOL!)

I'll give it a try!
  8. jane32

jane32 New Member

I will have to try this when I don't have my fevers. How did you measure the temp of the tub? After how many baths did you notice the difference?

Does anyone know where I can get as dry brush for my skin??
  9. skierchik

skierchik New Member

Sorry I edited the post. It's supposed to be 1 cup. Comfrey root powder can be found at most vitamin stores or Whole Foods & Wild Oats.

Jane 32 - I don't measure the temp. I just make it as hot as I can stand it and add more hot water if I need it. I started to notice a difference the second bath. I've felt alot better since I've been doing these and the other stuff my doc has me doing. Also you can buy bathing gloves (that's what I use every day in the shower) or a loufa pad at your local vitamin store. Target has the gloves but I don't like them.

Happy detoxing!

skierchik
  10. saphire27

saphire27 New Member

I drop a metal meat thermometer in the water until i'm done running it, then i remove it. Thats how i know how hot it is.

I've noticed that i can take baths up to 120 degrees, and that is high!! I love hottubs, and plan on buying one within the next 2 years!

11. PVLady

PVLady New Member

FYI - You can buy 10 lbs of epsom salts at Costco store for less than $2.00. Also, baking soda is very inexpensive in large boxes there.

Probably any store like Costco, Sams etc. will have good prices.
  12. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

from the book 'Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia & Environmental Illness.

The following detox baths were developed over a period of 50 years of clinical observation & application by Hazel Parcells, N.D., D.C., Ph.D. She said the hot water solution draws toxins out of the body to the surface of the skin. Then, as the water cools, the toxins are pulled from the surface of the skin by the change in temperature, and go into the water.

1. If you have been exposed to environmental radiation or X-rays. Ex: air travel. This bath is indicated if you have been feeling general muscular aches, mild nausea, fatigue, headaches, slight dizziness, or a disturbance in equilibrium.

Dissolve 1 lb of sea salt OR rock salt and 1 lb of baking soda in a tub of water as hot as can be tolerated. Mix salt and soda thoroughly with the water, then stay in the bath until the water has cooled.

2. If you have been exposed to heavy metals, carbon monoxide or unburned carbons, or pesticide sprays. Cooking w/aluminum will bring on symptoms; frequent air commuters absorb carbon monoxide through the skin, which then gets inside the body; eating foods that have not been cleaned of pesticide contamination can lead to an accumulation of pesticides in the cells.

This bath is indicated if you are experiencing decreased energy, shortness of breath, lightheadedness, impaired equilibrium or a general feeling of being "out of sorts".

Add 1 cup of regular brand Clorox bleach (with the blue & white label) to a full tub of water as hot as can be tolerated. Mix thoroughly with the water. Stay in the bath until water has cooled; do not shower for at least 4 hours following the bath. The bath can, and will, remove toxins with utmost effectiveness. If you're sensitive to chlorine, DO NOT DO THIS BATH.

3. If you have been exposed to low-grade radioactive materials in the atmosphere or have consumed food irradiated by cobalt 60. It is prudent to assume that residues of cobalt 60 are found in a wide range of foods, from fresh fruits & vegetables to grains and packaged meats; don't expect to find them labled as such.

Conditions that would benefit from this bath include soreness of the gums or mouth, swollen glands, sore throat, and indigestion.

Dissolve 2 lbs of baking soda in a tub or water as hot as can be tolerated; mix thoroughly. Stay in the bath until water has cooled: do not shower for at least four hours following the bath.

4. General Toxicity: Try this general detoxifying bath if you are suffering from general muscle aches & pains, or fatigue brought about by physical exertion or mental or emotional stress. It is particularly useful to raise the acid level in the body to help build immunity and to ward off a feeling that you are about to be ill.

Add 2 cups of apple cider vinegar (pure, not the "flavored" variety) to a tub of water as hot as can be tolerated; mix thoroughly. Stay in the bath until water has cooled. Do not shower for at least 4 hours following the bath.

General tip on Detoxigying baths: Therapeutic bathing is most effective when done before bedtime, because the body detoxifies during sleep. Use only 1 bathing formula per evening. Do not mix ingredients from different formulas; each bath is recommeded only for specific indications, as described.

To minimize discomfort, rub a little olive oil or almond oil or non-petroleum-based baby lotion on your skin after bathing. If you feel you have a need for all the baths, alternate them on different eveings. If the baths are in any way too rigorous or unpleasant, cut back on your use of them, or discontinue.

Please check with your doctor before doing any detox baths. I'd also like to suggest, as Skierchik mentioned before, to pat dry and use a clean towel for each bath.

The book also has info for detox baths with Salts & Herbs but I'm pooped for the day. I haven't googled the doctor yet but they are from Jacqueline Krohn, M.D., M.P.H., who practices medicine in Los Alamos, NM. She also has a book titled 'The Whole Way to Natural Detoxification.

Auntyem
    [This Message was Edited on 02/25/2006]
  13. JenniferAnn539

JenniferAnn539 New Member

Interesting post.

I find myself taking frequent hot baths since starting to detox using homeopathic remedies. I suppose this is my body's way of helping the process along and I didn't really know it.

14. skierchik

skierchik New Member

Thanks for the additional info. I read this somewhere. Her name is definitely in my brain(somewhere). I think she's where I got the idea for my husband to detox with b. soda and salt because he flys alot. I used to go to the local library to get informative books, but I haven't been in a while. No energy...but I do now. Even though I didn't sleep well, I feel even better today. I think the HONEY-GLUTATHIONE REMEDY is kicking in and working. My blood surgars are dropping very quickly which means that the insulin I take is finally able to get inside the cell to do it's job. Starting today, I will be lowering the amount of insulin I take and monitoring it very closely. I've already had two bad lows in less than 24 hours. I haven't had lows in a very long time. Feels good.

Take care everyone and I encourage all of you to do the HONEY-GLUTATHIONE protocol. Look it up.

Lots of healing hugs,

skierchik
  15. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

I've typed, reread, made changes, reread and made more changes....if this doesn't sound right, please forgive me.

You talk about your blood sugars dropping and taking insulin. Are you diabetic?

If so, do you think that's the reason your dr put you on the honey-glutathione, to lower your blood sugars? If that answer is yes, then what would happen if non-diabetic people used the honey-glutathione?

Sorry if I sound confused,
    Auntyem
  16. skierchik

skierchik New Member

HI there. Yes, I am a juvenile diabetic. I've had it since I was 19, but probably really had it since childhood. I've been on insulin 5 shots a day ever since. My blood sugars have been terrible because of the toxicity in my blood and the honey thing is to detox the body. You must have glutathione in order to detox. We don't have enough of this as we age & especially since we're stressed. But he had me doing this clearly to detox my body and I've noticed a big difference since I've been doing these things. I also have Hashi's, a thyroid disorder and he thinks this will help this condition too.

Hope that clears it up, sorry for the confusion.

skierchik
  17. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

Once again you were able to clear my head!!

Thanks,
    Auntyem
  18. Daisys

Daisys Member

This is an interesting thread. There's a lot of information and I'm learning a lot.
    One thing I wanted to add. I went to an acupuncturist/chinese Dr. (my first time to this one) and told her I was taking detox baths. Right away she said "how hot and for how long?" and I thougt she was going to caution me about the tempt. being too hot because I really like them hot. But she told me not to let the water get too cool. She said if it starts to feel cool, it's already pulled heat from the core.
    I know this contradicts input from other posts but I wanted to add it to the mix anyway. This woman trained in China and even had a thriving business there in acupuncture and oriental medicine. (A Kansas farm girl!)
    Chinese medicine is so different, sometimes there's no meeting in the middle with western medicine.
    So I go with how I feel. Up til recently I needed the water so hot it almost stung, now I like it comfortably warm. I like to think it's because I'm healthier and my body can keep itself warmer on it's own now. :)
  19. auntyemnga

auntyemnga New Member

Thanks for the info about not letting the water get too cool!

Auntyem
  20. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I would supplement with a chelated Magnesium supplement afterwords. If you do alot of them then use a trace mineral too.

Be careful with hot bathes and fevers. I've always read that if you have a high fever, you should take a cool bath or put cool rags on forehead, abdomen and lymphatic areas.

Hope you feel better.

skierchik