detoxing from the only thing that works!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by freeme, Nov 26, 2002.

1. freeme

freeme New Member

my mom is on her 3rd month of detoxing from ativan(lorazapam) she was up to an absurd 16 mg on bad days...she's down to 4 1/2 but has not had a good nights sleep or a good 2 hour nap like she used to in weeks. nothing so far has been of help. she was in a detox clinic for 3 weeks but found it extra hard being the only one w/ CFS so is now an out patient and goes to the clinic 2 times a week to pick up the meds. the chiropractor helps w/ the pain but still not enough to sleep through the night. the DR insists that an antidepressant helps in detoxing but my mom is unable to tolerate the side effects of most of them and the ones that do help are stimulants only adding to her trouble relaxing and sleeping. i bought melatonin today(the one thing we haven't tried) and she is trying it tonight to sleep. Is there anyone that can relate to this in anyway?
    ANY feedback would be appreciated.
    it's my goal to get my mom comfortable with this site and start communicating with people that understand. her concentration level isn't so good but i read her a few of the messages and she was relieved and interested and motivated for me to post a message..
    thanks for listening.
  2. freeme

freeme New Member

my mom is on her 3rd month of detoxing from ativan(lorazapam) she was up to an absurd 16 mg on bad days...she's down to 4 1/2 but has not had a good nights sleep or a good 2 hour nap like she used to in weeks. nothing so far has been of help. she was in a detox clinic for 3 weeks but found it extra hard being the only one w/ CFS so is now an out patient and goes to the clinic 2 times a week to pick up the meds. the chiropractor helps w/ the pain but still not enough to sleep through the night. the DR insists that an antidepressant helps in detoxing but my mom is unable to tolerate the side effects of most of them and the ones that do help are stimulants only adding to her trouble relaxing and sleeping. i bought melatonin today(the one thing we haven't tried) and she is trying it tonight to sleep. Is there anyone that can relate to this in anyway?
    ANY feedback would be appreciated.
    it's my goal to get my mom comfortable with this site and start communicating with people that understand. her concentration level isn't so good but i read her a few of the messages and she was relieved and interested and motivated for me to post a message..
    thanks for listening.
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi, you are a good daughter! I can't help with the detox stuff, but maybe a little help with the Melatonin and the sleep problems.

I take 3-5 milligrams of Melatonin right before bed. It does help you 'fall' asleep, but for deep refreshing sleep you might want to try; ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B-6).

This along with the Melatonin are sold here at Pro Health, go to the top right of this board where it says; 'Store', type in ZMA then Melatonin. They have some good material to read on these.

I had the sleep problem all my life, and the only thing that has help in was the two items above.

This is what I take at night;

6pm low dose Xanax (0.25 milligrams), only at this time, not during the day.(this is the ONLY prescription drug that I take, everything else is supplements).

10pm 2 capsules of ZMA,

Right before bed; Melatonin

NOw the ZMA takes about 10 days to 2 weeks to get the full effect, the longer you take it the better it works.

Melatonin works on the first try! But I don't find that it keeps me sleeping, just helps falling asleep.

Of course the Xanax is prescription, but I have been taking this low dose now off and on for 15 years. Never had to up the dose.

I started the ZMA in Feburary of this year, and I sleep at the least 7-8 hours soundly every night. IF I wake up for the bathroom, I go right back to sleep.

Before starting this, I would wake up almost every hour on the hour everynight of my life. This to me, is a wonder supplement! Plus it helps with pain too.

I also take Pro Energy (Malic Acid & Magnesium) for pain and energy. This I take; 2 capsules before breakfast, and 2 capsules before lunch.

Another thing that will help your Mom with the morning pain and stiffness is a 'wireless heating mattress pad', the can be bought at Penny's or Sear's.

I got a twin size, cut off the skirt and put it under the sheet on my side of the bed. It lays flat, and does not move. Its a gentle heat, not hot like a heating pad, and it is just wonderful with the Fibro pain during the night and in the morning.

If you have any questions, please ask, we will be glad to help you if we can.

Hopefully your Mom feels good enough to join us here herself soon. I am sure she will enjoy the friendly informative people that our are members .

Take care, and you are a very find young lady!

Shalom, Shirl

[ advertisement ]