Detoxing our water?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pika, Mar 31, 2007.

1. pika

pika New Member

do any of you have ideas, experience or opinions about water filtration (drinking and cooking)?

i've been reading a lot lately about lead and mercury, prompted by some parts in What You don't Know May Be Killing You (Don Colbert, M.D.). he devotes a whole chapter to water (even recommending a specific bottled water (Penta) for CFS/FM, arthritis and degenerative disease patients, not available in my area, of course! LOL)

anyway, he talks about metals and microbes in our water and discusses the merits of different filtering methods -- those relatively inexpensive tap filters rate high for removing lead (98%), chlorine, mercury(85%) and most organic chemicals. i'm determined to install one. anyone have comments pro or con on this?

on the microbes, he says Cryptosporidium especially can cause flu-like symptoms and is very common in water.

i've also learned that mercury gets into the air from coal-generated power plants and from cement factories. it settles on the ground on plants we eat and seeps into the water underground. the concentration is highest (i think) in a 30-mile radius, but drifts to a 600-mile radius?

when my husband got thyroid cancer, i found that the same process happens from nuclear testing, with radiation -- settling on the ground, seeping into the ground, mild from cows grazing on the polluted grass. (of course the responsible parties warned us about this -- NOT!)

these are big issues to me, make me very angry. still, my intent with this post is simply to ask if anyone uses some form of filtration for drinking/cooking water and if it has helped any that they can tell?

(also, there is a recent article listed under the news tab above about mercury.)
  2. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Ah, as I suspected. I've lived about 15 miles from a coal firing plant for the past 30 years. Well, I guess I'll be doing a permanent detox.

Thanks for sharing.

CherylSue
  3. pika

pika New Member

cherylsue --

know the feeling. i live about 4 miles from the utility coal plant, and several hundred feet from a gas station that's been there forever (ie., carried leaded gas). scary. my well is only 40 ft. deep. i'm off to get the filter tonight.
  4. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Don't forget this source of mercury. For those living in Chicagoland, you might find this article interesting.

"
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Utility to cut coal emissions
    Plants may close if plan too costly

By Michael Hawthorne
    Tribune staff reporter
    Published December 12, 2006

Three of the largest sources of air pollution in the Chicago area will either shut down or become dramatically cleaner within the next dozen years.

After months of negotiations with Gov. Rod Blagojevich's administration, Midwest Generation agreed Monday to deep cuts in smog, soot and mercury pollution from its six coal-fired power plants.

E-mail this story

Printable format

Search archives

RSS

Tainted seafood

The mercury menace

Company executives also raised the possibility that three aging plants--in Waukegan and Chicago's Pilsen and Little Village areas--might close if they decide it isn't worth spending millions to clean them up.

The agreement promises steady improvements in air quality throughout the Chicago area. It targets sources of pollution that for years have irritated policymakers, public health experts and environmental activists.

To broker the deal, the state compromised and gave Midwest Generation more time to meet the stringent standards. Mercury emissions will be controlled by 2009, nitrogen oxide by 2012 and sulfur dioxide by 2018.

The cuts will be faster and deeper than U.S. rules require.

"This is a really good deal for Illinois," said Doug Scott, director of the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency. "We're giving them a few more years to comply, but we are getting so much in return."

Midwest Generation was the last holdout on the state's proposed mercury rules, which Blagojevich issued in January in response to a Tribune series.

State and company officials announced their agreement a day before a panel of state lawmakers was scheduled to vote on the rules. Two other utilities, Ameren and Dynegy, already had cut deals, but until now there had been questions about whether the proposal would move forward.

"This agreement will help the state and city meet their clean-air goals," said Doug McFarlan, a spokesman for Midwest Generation. "It also gives us time to assess market conditions and decide whether we should make additional capital expenditures at our plants."

Cleaning up Midwest Generation's dirty smokestacks is a critical matter for the Chicago area. Sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide churning from the coal plants contribute to smog and soot that hangs over the city and its suburbs, especially during the summer.

Groups such as the Sierra Club, American Lung Association and Environment Illinois have campaigned for years to shut down or clean up the plants. They've circulated petitions, paid for ads on CTA trains and protested outside the company's headquarters.

The first step

The groups welcomed the deal as a good start.

"We would like it to happen much faster, but this is a big improvement," said Dorian Breuer of the Pilsen/Southwest Side Greens, a group trying to get a non-binding referendum on the city ballot that calls for deeper cuts in pollution.

Midwest Generation also is the state's largest source of mercury, a toxic metal that falls into lakes and streams and becomes more dangerous as it moves up the food chain. The pollutant has become so pervasive in U.S. waterways that Illinois and 43 other states urge pregnant women and children to avoid or limit eating certain fish.

The utility was responsible for 1,533 of the 5,609 pounds of mercury released into the air in Illinois during 2004, the last year for which figures are available.

"Having these old plants spewing pollution doesn't help the environment or the health of our region," said Sadhu Johnston, Daley's assistant for environmental initiatives. "We feel confident the electrical grid is secure enough, even if these plants close."

Mercury controls will be installed by July 2008 at the Pilsen, Little Village and Waukegan plants, and a year later at plants outside Romeoville, Joliet and Peoria. Emissions must be reduced by at least 90 percent by 2015.

By contrast, federal rules require utilities to reduce mercury pollution by 70 percent by 2018.

The Midwest Generation agreement represents a stark change in attitudes from an industry that only months ago complained it couldn't meet tougher standards.

The next step

Now Midwest Generation faces a series of deadlines for installing pollution controls or mothballing turbines that spin coal flames into electri-city.

In addition to the reductions in mercury pollution, nitrogen oxide emissions from all six of the company's plants must be curbed by 68 percent by 2012. Sulfur dioxide emissions must drop 80 percent by 2018.

"After all of the huffing and puffing, this is a remarkable achievement in a large industrial state that depends heavily on coal," said Howard Learner, executive director of the Environmental Law and Policy Center, who was involved in the negotiations. "This is a very important step to protect public health."

----------

mhawthorne@tribune.com

Copyright © 2007, Chicago Tribune

5. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

about 4 years ago. The water tastes great! It removes all toxic metals. The carbon filter removes the chlorine and other tastes.

I ran a 1/8" line to the freezer and have the best ice cubes ever.

Add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice and say goodbye to sodas!

The teenagers love it...that gives it an A+.