Developing a research agenda:disabling fatigue (Calgary)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tansy, Aug 6, 2008.

1. tansy

tansy New Member

DEVELOPING A COLLABORATIVE RESEARCH AGENDA
    TO UNDERSTAND DISABLING FATIGUE

The 1st Alberta Interdisciplinary Research Symposium and Discussions
    Saturday, November 8th, 2008
    9:00 am - 4:30 pm
    Libin Lecture Theatre, University of Calgary

Of interest to:
    Researchers and clinicians of all disciplines who work with patients/clients with disabling fatigue in chronic disease.
    This includes autoimmune disorders, chronic infection, chronic liver disease, pulmonary and heart disease, chronic
    fatigue syndrome, overtraining and stress syndromes and fatigue of unknown causes.

Format:
    The morning will consist of short oral presentations by invited speakers to summarize areas of study and emerging
    questions. The afternoon will include oral and poster presentations from among those submitted followed by
    facilitated small groups to enable networking and knowledge development. The day will end with a large group
    discussion of directions for further study of disabling fatigue.

Objectives:
    • To facilitate interdisciplinary discussion about disabling fatigue.

• To develop research questions about disabling fatigue. For example how does fatigue vary among various
    medical conditions? What is the etiology of disabling fatigue? How can disabling fatigue be evaluated? How can
    disabling fatigue be optimally managed?

• To further the development of an Alberta wide collaboration among fatigue clinicians and researchers with the goal
    of funded research to answer some of the above questions.

For Registration Form and Call for Abstracts - see www.cme.ucalgary.ca

Keynote addresses:
    Dr. Nancy Klimas MD (Immunology, Department of Medicine, University of Miami School of Medicine and VA Medical
    Centre, Miami, Florida) - Researcher in immunology of HIV and CFS/ME, President of the International Association
    for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (IACFS/ME), Co-Author: Canadian Consensus Guidelines
    for the Diagnosis and Treatment of ME/CFS - "Biologic mediators of Fatigue"

Dr. Leonard Jason PhD (Professor of Psychology and Director of the Center for Community Research, DePaul
    University, Chicago, Illinois) - Investigator of the first major epidemiological study of CFS/ME. Member of the Board of
    Directors International Association for CFS/ME, Vice President of the IACFS/ME
    - "Diagnostic issues, prevalence and socioeconomic impact of CFS/ME"

Confirmed Speakers:
    Dr. Carey Johnson MD (Medical Genetics, Calgary) - “Disabling Fatigue in Ehrlers Danlos Syndrome” Dr. Bryan Kolb PhD (Chair, Canadian Centre for Behavioural Neuroscience, U of L) - "Brain Plasticity and Fatigue"

Dr. Brian MacIntosh PhD (Kinesiology, U of C) - "Central and peripheral mechanisms of muscle fatigue"

Dr. Karin Olson PhD (Nursing, U of A) - "A new paradigm for understanding fatigue"

Dr. Steve Simpson MD FRCP(C) (Psychiatry, U of C) - "Managing fatigue in cancer survivors"

Dr. Neil Skjodt MD (Sleep Medicine, U of A) - “Sleep assessment and disorders in chronic fatigue”

Dr. Mark Swain MD, MSc, FRCPC (Faculty of Medicine U of C) - “Fatigue in Chronic Inflammatory Diseases”

Dr. Mark van Ness PhD, Staci Stevens MA (Sport Sciences, University of the Pacific, Stockton, California)
    - "Using cardiopulmonary exercise testing to determine metabolic function and disability"
    No Scent Makes Good Sense
    *Participants with allergies and sensitivities thank you for not wearing ANY scented personal care products
    such as aftershave, cologne, perfume, hand cream or hairspray.*
  2. Jayna

Jayna New Member

CHRONIIC FATIIGUE SYNDROME//MYALGIC ENCEPHALOMYELITIS PROGRAM

Public Lecture

Research Update and Clinical tips from the experts
    Of interest to patients with CFS/ME and other fatiguing illnesses, their families and the general public

Sunday, November 9th, 2008
    1:30 - 4:30 pm
    Libin Lecture Theatre, University of Calgary

• Dr. Nancy Klimas, President of the International Association for Chronic Fatigue Sydrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (IACFS/ME), co-author of the Canadian Consensus Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of ME/CFS, and faculty at the University of Miami School of Medicine will present a world wide research update on CFS/ME.

• Dr. Alison Bested MD FRCPC is a Hematological Pathologist who has a specialty practice dedicated to CFS/ME, FM and MCS for the past 17 years.

She is the author of Hope and Help for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia, a co-author of the 2003 ME/CFS Clinical Working Case Definition, Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols, and Acting Medical Director of the Environmental Health Clinic at Women’s College Hospital in Toronto, Ontario.

To register, please go to _www.cme.ucalgary.ca
    _ (http://www.cme.ucalgary.ca/) Price: $30.00/person or $15.00/low-income person
    Libin Lecture Theatre is wheel chair accessible.

No Scent Makes Good Sense
    *Participants with allergies and sensitivities thank you for not wearing ANY scented personal care products such as aftershave, cologne, perfume, hand cream or hairspray.*