Devotions I Like, Add Yours

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by hangininthere, Nov 9, 2009.

1. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

Devotion I

Follow

In July 2001, a few friends and I embarked on a long-anticipated rim-to-rim Grand Canyon hike. But our great adventure ended after only one day. We made it to the canyon floor, but due to the stifling heat (127°F) and dehydration we couldn’t finish.

After sleeping a few hours, we began our trek back up the narrow ledge trail at 2:00 a.m. The experience of hiking in pitch-black darkness was harrowing. With just one headlamp, we could see only a few feet in front of us. We made it out by following the one who was leading, taking small steps as our meager light allowed.

Our experience reminds me of how Jesus repeatedly invited people to join Him in His life and work. When Jesus encountered Philip in Galilee, He simply said, “Follow Me”. And to Simon Peter and Andrew: “Follow Me”. And to the rich young man: “Follow Me”. To the tax collector, to the beggars along the road, to rulers, to servants, to the rich and the poor, one word stands out: “Follow.”

It’s the same for us. While obedience to—and friendship with—God takes many forms, the central theme is this: Follow. Simply follow. Our prime responsibility in our spiritual journey is not to craft grand plans or muster up sincere commitment or to work hard to discern all God might be up to.

Our crucial responsibility is to pay attention to whatever light (large or small) God provides—and to simply take the next step.

When we follow, we’re dependent on the one we are following. We don’t fret about the long stretch ahead. We don’t harbor regrets over what took place during the miles behind us. We don’t focus on things that don’t really matter. We simply follow.

Follow Jesus today.

(One step at a time.)

Inspirational 2

Two Days In Every Week We Should Not Worry About

There are two days in every week about which we should not worry, two days which should be kept free from fear and apprehension.

One of these days is Yesterday with all its mistakes and cares,
    its faults and blunders, its aches and pains.

Yesterday has passed forever beyond our control.
    All the money in the world cannot bring back Yesterday.

We cannot undo a single act we performed;
    we cannot erase a single word we said.
    Yesterday is gone forever.

The other day we should not worry about is Tomorrow
    with all its possible adversities, its burdens,
    its large promise and its poor performance;
    Tomorrow is also beyond our immediate control.

Tomorrow's sun will rise,
    either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds, but it will rise.
    Until it does, we have no stake in Tomorrow,
    for it is yet to be born.

This leaves only one day, Today.
    Any person can fight the battle of just one day.
    It is when you and I add the burdens of those two awful eternities
    Yesterday and Tomorrow that we break down.

It is not the experience of Today that drives a person mad,
    it is the remorse or bitterness of something which happened Yesterday and the dread of what Tomorrow may bring.

Let us, therefore, Live but one day at a time.

Inspirational 3

When Satan is knocking at your door, simply say, "Jesus, could you get that for me?"

Devotion 4

"The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures,
    he leads me beside quiet waters."

The imagery of God's leadership contains green pastures and quiet waters. Even if those pastures are located in the shadow of the valley of death, true leadership can give peace even in overwhelming circumstances.

It is the job of the shepherd to encourage - or instill courage - into the sheep to go down paths that seem treacherous.

Unlike the cattle driver, the shepherd leads from the front, going before his flock to assure them that they can make it. This is the type of leadership that inspires people and even empowers them to go places they would not go to on their own.

Inspirational 5

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed
    a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.

Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”

The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean.
    The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”

“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish?
    You can’t make a difference!”

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said…”I made a difference for that one.”

Prayer 6

O Father, light up
    the small duties of this day’s life:
    may they shine
    with the beauty of Your countenance.
    May we believe that glory can dwell
    in the commonest task of every day.

- Augustine

Quote 7

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is a quiet voice at the end of the day, saying, I will try again tomorrow.

Quote 8

Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

-Jesus

Inspirational 9

When we get tangled up in our problems, be still.
    God wants us to be still so He can untangle the knot.

Inspirational 10

The Two Wolves

One evening an Indian grandfather told his grandson
    about a battle that goes on inside people.

He said, "My son, the battle is between two wolves
    inside us all.

One is Evil.

It has anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed,
    arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority,
    lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is Good.

It has joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility,
    kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth,
    compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then
    asked his grandfather:

"Which wolf wins?"

The grandfather simply replied,

"The one you feed."

[This Message was Edited on 05/24/2011]
  2. Doznclan3

Doznclan3 New Member

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for therby some have entertained angels unawares.

What a neat thought! Hebrews 13: 2
  3. hannahfaid

hannahfaid New Member

I live in AZ I know its so hard to try and enjoy anything god bless you

hannah
  4. windblade

windblade Active Member

Prayer 6 is greatly inspiring to me today, and as a permanent reminder.

Thank you for posting all these wonderful teachings!

Love, Judy
  5. windblade

windblade Active Member

by Helen Keller

"For three things I thank God every day of my life; thanks that he has vouchsafed me knowledge of his works; deep thanks that he has set in my darkness the lamp of faith; deep, deepest thanks that I have another life to look forward to - a life joyous with light and flowers and heavenly song."
  6. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

I thought this statement was very powerful and it inspired me. "Don't tell God how big your storm is; Tell the storm HOW BIG YOUR GOD IS!~~~~~Jeanne