DEXAMETHASONE I'm on it for CLUSTER HA/any thoughts???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

A lot of us have mentioned severe headache episodes of different natures.

A lot of us get Trigeminal or Occipital nerve related headaches.

I get them in the form of severe cluster headaches. I've been plagued with them off and on for about 16 years and they are the most debilitating ailment of mine by far!

My cluster episode started up again about 2 weeks ago and became INTENSE. I was begging my Hubby to check me into the hosp.

Anyway, I recently found a new Doc who's been quite aggressive with my treatment. He put me on DEXAMETHASONE as a shock treatment. 4 pills a day for 5 days. I'm just in the middle of the regimen right now but it has stopped the headaches. They are still lingering under the surface but the unbearable pain has stopped.

I don't know if he is planning to keep me on this at a more moderated dosage once the episode passes or not.

Have any of you used this med? Apparently, it suppresses the immune system and works as an anti-inflammatory as well. All I know is it's helping.

I'd love your thoughts.

Sofi
  2. abcanada

abcanada New Member

I've been battling migraines for two years almost daily. I've been on four rounds of Prednisone as a shock treatment, but it did not work for me. Just made me swell and eat more! Good Luck, maybe you're catching it earlier.
  3. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I believe Dexamethasone is about 4 times more powerful than Prednisone. I was also on Prednisone years ago as a preventative measure but it didn't work for me either.

I guess the real test will be if the headaches stay gone after the meds are done.

Thanks for your input.

Sofi
  4. maedaze

maedaze New Member

Please let me know how you get on, ie, if you have to take them long term or just short term etc. I am looking for anything to help, so would be interested in your outcome.

Have been on prednisone, but these sound more powerful (and better!)

Glad to hear its working for you. Hope it wipes them away completely.
  5. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I'll be glad to let you know how it goes. I know these HA's are a terrible thing to live with. I meet with my doc next week. I'll tell you what the next step is.

Sofi