Dextromethorphan Success?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jmq, Mar 20, 2007.

1. jmq

jmq New Member

My rhuemy is doing his own little study with this. He has all his FM patients trying this and wants us to report on the success. One of his patients has found relief so he wants me to give it a try..

I saw only a few old posts on this and no one seemed to have tried it...or not for very long.

Anyone out there that has tried it? I will start tomorrow so I will keep you posted. I think it takes awhile...

jmq
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

In the January issue of the Fibromyalgia Network Journal, there was a story about a woman who was having great success with DM. She says that it works better than her vicodin. They are inviting other submissions.

It kind of piqued my interest so I hope that you will post on your progress. Good luck.

Kathy
  3. jmq

jmq New Member

Any one else ever used this? I have been drinking it for over a week and cant tell. I am flaring big time..headaches, no energy, pain all over.

jmq
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

Maybe that's why I like Nyquil, since I have chronic sinus headaches that are bad... Nyquil does the best for me at night, usually prevents me with awakening with a really bad headache in AM.

Altho I won't take it during the day as it has doxalamine succinate for an antihistamine which is used otc under the brand name Unisom (as is dipenhydramine/benadryl).

JMQ-- What kind of headaches do you have? Just wondering as I wasn't dx'd with Fibro, 'just' CFIDS with sinus headaches; altho I do have the tender points, I just don't otherwise experience the pain I so often read about others experiencing.

all the best,
    Victoria
  5. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi jmq--

i used to have my pain meds compounded with equal parts hydrocodone/dextrometh. It seemed to work well, but was a pretty high dose of hydro so not sure which gave the most relief.

i just started back on the guai therapy, and got the guai w/dextro (walmart /tareget/giant eagle $4 prescription program), i figured it couldn't hurt to help ease the pain of the guai.

from what i've read, it has become a "drug of choice" for kids to abuse, so it will probably get pretty regulated in the pharmacies, etc. Darn kids and junkies ruin everything for those of us that really need some relief!

have their been other studies done on this? would be interesteing to follow--keep us posted!
    have a great week end--L
  6. jmq

jmq New Member

I am still taking it every day and see no relief. I have all types of headaches almost every day. Usually in the temples and pressure...then about once a month a get a bad migraine. This was happening since I was 21..way before the FMS dx.

I will try to do some more research on it. I see the dr. on April 24th and see if he still wants me to continue it.

Thank you for your posts...I will keep you posted.

jmq
  7. jmq

jmq New Member

I am taking 30 mg in am and another 30 mgs at night. I do not know if I should increase it until I see him at the end of the month.

thanks...
    jmq