DH is going to rehab

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lin21, Oct 27, 2006.

1. lin21

lin21 New Member

The DH made the right choice and is going to rehab, hopefully he will be accepted and get better SOON!!! He is so sick. Not to make excuses but he just couldn't handle everything when I got sick and with his own medical issues it just threw him overboard. He never thought that taking prescribed meds could do this but then again, he wasn't exactly taking them as prescribed. Well , now everyone knows, his job, his doctor, his child, the family.
    I am so disheartened, if all the crap we went through when I got sick wasn't enough I have to be going through this now. It's a nightmare. I just want things to be "normal" again, well as normal as they can be anyway.
    Has anyone out there gone through anything like this?
  2. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Sounds like he wants to do this which is good. He has to want it for himself in order for it to work. This is a great step for him.

I have been through something similar. My boyfriend and I were living for 7 years with his dad and his little sister. Well she had some serious problems. Depression, suicide attempts, self harm, eating disorders, and drug addiction. It was VERY difficult.

I had just gotten CFS when she started to go down hill...she was 12 at the time. Over the years things got HORRIBLE. Her parents were in denial despite me and my boyfriend trying to tell them that she was in trouble. Her dad was having his own depression and alcohol problems that he was not available for her (unless to fight with her...he was abusive towards her) and my boyfriend was working from afternoon til late night so I was the only one there all the time (with my CFS) so she would turn to me for help.

It was very bad. Instead of taking care of my illness I was taking care of her since no one else was around to do it. She needed help all the time day or night. She was in and out of the hospital and I was there with her. Taking her to doctors appointments, running errands, doing grocery shopping for her so she would have food upstairs to eat, driving her around, taking her out and about on car rides when she needed to talk or needed a distraction, talking her down or interviening with fights with her dad...and the list goes on and on. Right now I don't even know how I did all that with being so sick with CFS. There were times I would call my mom in tears cause I couldnt take it anymore.

Eventually when she turned 15 the courts sent her to a 6 month residential rehab with 6 more months of outpatient after care. I was very involved in her rehab (was asked to be since I was such a big part of her life) and was at the treatment center alot. When she got out I went to AA meetings with her about everynight for two months until she started going with others in the program. It was amazing though. Rehab turned her life around. She is 17 now and has been sober for 2 years. She is getting straight A's in school now and is doing great. I am so proud of her. It is still an on going journey and there are still some bumps in the road but things are much better.

I think this will be very good for your husband. I think if he wants it bad enough he can do this and be successful. It is hard work but he can do it and things will be so much better. I know it is hard trying to deal with all of this and your illness but try to hang in there. Think of this as a good thing. It is such a good step. I know it is so hard on you but hopefully things will get better now. It was such a relief for me when my bf sister went into rehab. I had so many mixed feelings about it working etc but it did.

I know it is hard right now but this may be a turning point for you both. Hopefully this will be the start of better things for you both and a healthier life for you both.

Hold on! Things will get better. I understand what you are going through. Just give me a shout if you need to talk.

Take Care and hang in there!
    Pam
  3. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

4. lin21

lin21 New Member

and I just totally lost it on him.
    (read my previous post if you are interested).
  5. Spacey_sjca

Spacey_sjca New Member

6. joanng

joanng New Member

lin21, you're not going to want to hear this but you need your own program now. Al-Anon or Nar-Anon. Not to support him (although it helps) but to help you and help you understand the disease he has and how it has affected you. You'll find support there and understanding that you need now and forever. I live with a recovering alcoholic not that it's any different because I go to Al-Anon for myself.....I'll be back later..getting company. Look up a meeting near you...it can only help.

good luck. joann