DHEA, advice anyone????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by eeyoreblue02, Mar 18, 2006.

1. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

Are there any other women here who take DHEA? I am starting early menopause and my NP at the holistic clinic wants me to take 10mg 1x day. I know there is a lot of controversy. I don't want to grow a mustache. Would appreciate anyone's input on this. I did take it this morning for the first time.

Linda
  2. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I have cfs ( and had early menopause at 39) and my local doc. put me on DHEA tablets and then troches for a couple of years. I felt no different. So I stopped them.

When I finally found a doc. with a special interest in hormones and fatigue states, he told me that he will not use DHEA for his female patients, even if their levels are low, for 2 reasons - which were explained to me in medical jargon, but which I put here in language that I can understand.

1. the DHEA turns into testerone in women and is not of any real value.

2. low DHEA levels are a symptoms of something else, so why fix the symptom - it is better to look for the cause and fix the problem.

He uses natural progesterone cream. After several years on that, I my hormone levels have evened out - however, I still have cfs. Each of us is different, however, so good luck in your quest.
  3. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

10mg. of DHEA is a very low dose. My mother swears by DHEA, it
    does help with energy if one is on the correct dose.
  4. leomonkey

leomonkey Member

I have just added this. Have yet to determine it impact.

I do use the 7 keto which is suppose to prevent it from converting (into testosterone)
  5. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

I too would like to hear more responses about DHEA. I've had a hysterectomy and have been on HRT for 9 years. Is it safe to take DHEA. My CFS doc says to take 50 mg a day.
  6. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

I take 25 - 35 mg/day. I love it. Has made a big improvement with the quality of my skin and I sleep better too.
  7. msmac

msmac New Member

read as much as you can find for information about DHEA, as it can react with other meds, I'd tell you which/what, but in a bit of a fog right now. I do know that 50 mg is a huge dose for a woman, and the 10 mg is more in line. I use, occasionally 1/2 of a 50. I think it helps with energy, also. BUT... when I first started taking it I had a lipoma (benign fatty tumor) on my thigh that blossomed to 4 inches long! and I had to have surgery to remove. This also was one of the possible side effects, which I later read about, long after the lipoma removal. DHEA is very powerful; listen to your ND for advice with whatever your specific situation/other meds/herbs, etc.
  8. Cindi

Cindi New Member

I was on 25 mgs, and it didn't make me feel any differently.
    I truly believe it caused me to lose my hair, though! I had noticed that my hair was getting thinner, and my GP put me on DHEA and told me that it would thicken my hair. Instead, it started falling out!!!!
    Be careful, and research it thoroughly before taking it. I sure wish I had, but I trusted my doctor :(

~Cindi
  9. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

From the research I have done, thinning hair is a common side effect in women. I'm hoping 10 mg is low enough not to cause this as I have enough problems without having to worry about losing my hair! lol

Linda
  10. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

My NP also uses a natural hormone cream and troches both mixed up at the compounding pharmacy. She prescribed the troches for me instead of the cream.

At least in your case do you feel the cream worked better than the DHEA/troches combination?

Linda
  11. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

how long have you been taking DHEA and how long did it take before you noticed the changes in your sleep and your skin?

I had read that it causes acne and greasy skin in women.

Linda
  12. Cindi

Cindi New Member

I definately think I was on too high of a dose, although I've read that those with Lupus and other disorders are told to take MUCH higher doses!! I think that 10 mgs is a safe amount to start with.

Ironically, my dermatologist believes that Topamax as well as the DHEA triggered my hair loss :( Topamax lists hair loss as a side effect, and too much testosterone can elevate androgens which can lead to hair loss. I've had my DHEA levels tested 3 times now, and they've been high each time. I never had a level done before starting the DHEA, and was angry with my doctor for not suggesting it. I love him as my primary care physician, and let him know how upset I was!!

I would suggest to anyone who is considering DHEA to make sure they get a level done before startinf it.

Good luck!
    ~Cindi
  13. spiritsky

spiritsky Member

DHEA is so important to the proper functioning of our bodies immune system, energy levels, feeling of well being, fighting of joint pain, cell growth, testosterone and estrogen levels. Everyone with our disease needs to make sure their getting enough - have your blood test done to find out where your level is.

And you won't grow a mustache. You need extremely high doses for that to happen. Womens doses are typically between 10 and 25mg daily and men are 25 to 50mg.

I take 50mg daily with very positive reults.[This Message was Edited on 03/19/2006]
  14. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

who took the time to respond to me. I did have my levels checked and they were low. I do not remember the numbers. I am going to request a copy of my labs when I go back in in a week and a half.

You guys are great.

Linda
  15. lbconstable

lbconstable New Member

Hi Linda,

I've been taking it for about a month. When I first started I was taking it in the a.m. It was probably about a week before I felt the changes in my skin. I didn't notice a difference in sleep taking it in the morning.

Several weeks ago I picked up a book on DHEA written by an MD. The book is largely a summary of a bunch of different research studies on DHEA and interviews with DHEA researchers and doctors that have used DHEA in their practice. One of the studies had participants take DHEA at night and some reported better sleep. So my hubby and I tried it. And it did help for both of us and we noticed the difference after the first night. I did read though, that it can have a stimulating effect on some and that might not be good before bed.

My sleep has greatly improved with the treatment regimen that I have been on for the last 2.5 years. The DHEA just made it a little better.

From what I have read I wouldn't expect you to see facial hair from 10 mg/day. Have you had your levels tested? Dr. Teitelbaum in his book "From Fatigued to Fantastic" recommends treating to reach levels of 150-180 mcg/dL, which is midrange of normal for a twenty-nine year old female. Recommended levels for men are much higher at 350-500 mcg/dL. He also says the General Nutrition Centers has a good brand of DHEA.

Let us know how it goes for you!

16. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

It can be overstimulating and non hormone containing glandulars, or even hormone containing glands may be a better route. I"ve tried both in adrenal glandulars and I was flying , dizzy and nauseous w/ the ones that contain the hormones, DHEA being one naturally found in adrenals.

I get all the benefits from the nonhormone containing glands. Dr. Wilson's is esp. good, because it has a blend of 5 glands, adrenal being chief, but also thyroid, and gonad (gonads being sex glands). I get excellent sleep every night, as well as being depression free now (had severe SAD) and have a better sex drive and am warm now (was freezing before w/ low temp and ice for hands and feet).

If your adrenals are esp. shot, you will be overstimulated by even tiny amounts of hormones and may have to support your glands the nonhormone route first. This is the case w/ me. I can tolerate small amounts of hormone containing glands now, after mths of treatment w/ the other.

Jeanne
  17. hope2001

hope2001 New Member

What is the name of the product you take from Wilson's? can you tell us what the ingredients are?

Thanks!
  18. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I have my DHEA levels checked. I did. The NP says they are low. I do not have the actual number. That is why she put me on DHEA in the first place.

Should I have them checked again and if so, how often?

Thanks,

Linda
  19. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

It contains adrenal, gonad, hypothalamus, pituitary and thyroid and the usual excipiants for a compressed tablet.

I was off it for awhile and bought some glands locally that were cheaper than ordering it from Arizona. They were separate adrenal pellets, a thyroid blend (lypholized w/ hormones intact) and dessicated liver. it worked well enough to keep SAD away along w/ my full spectrum lamp, the combo works gangbusters for depression btw, and it kept my temp up and me comfortable in Canadian winter to take regular walks in subzero temps, and to have me sleeping like a baby every night.

The one thing the Dr. Wilson's really does better though is increase my sex drive, the other combo just didn't work as well probably because Wilson's has gonad glands added. I also don't have the on again off again sensitivity to the lypholized thyroid gland, since it contained hormones I didn't always need. I'm going to pay the extra to keep getting the Wilson's now, it's alos so much handier to have the just right combo in one pill.

Jeanne
  20. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

Is increased sex drive a normal side effect for a woman taking DHEA? If so, I guess my husband is happy!

Linda