**DHEA and FM >> Have you had it checked?<<

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hope4Sofia, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I just heard that the hormone DHEA can be very low in FM.

A friend of mine with FM just had hers checked and it was like that of an 80 yo. She's in her early 40's. She just started some meds to help boost it.

Have any of you had yours checked?

If so, was it high/low?

Have you done anything to correct it? And, did it help?

Thanks,

Sofi
    [This Message was Edited on 06/23/2006]
  2. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

3. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

The FMS doctor I see now had it checked and it was low. He has me on one DHEA a day 25 mg. You can buy it over-the-counter and it's not very expensive.

Ellen
  4. findmind

findmind New Member

Good posting, Sofi, I've wondered bout this...

What does the DHEA help when you take it? (To those who answered they take it.)

Is it for energy?

Pain control?

Interesting, hope we get more replies!

findmind
  5. Denamay

Denamay New Member

Yes, I had my DHEA checked and it was way low.

I have been taking 100 mgs for about five years now. It is normal now and it has made a big difference to my energy level and mood. It does nothing for for my pain, however.

Here in Canada DHEA is very hard to obtain. It is only given with a doctor's prescribtion.

"DHEA is available to prescribing physicians on the athority of Emergency Drug Release, Health and Welfare, Ottawa."

My doctor tells me that there is only one pharmacy in CAnada that sells DHEA;Ihave to order mine from Vancouver,B.C.

Two years ago Ottawa refused to renew my prescribtion and I suffered a bad relapse.

Between my doctor and myself we lobbied my member of parliment and they finally relented in my case.

I don't know what will happen when I come due for a renewal which is comming up very soon. We might have to go through the whole process again. Love Denamay
  6. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Thanks for your input.

I'm a little disappointed that it hasn't helped with your pain. But, I'll take the energy boost!

I'm getting labs done on Monday. I'll let you know what my DHEA is.

Sofi
  7. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I appreciate your input. And thanks for the tips for the natural pain relievers.

Sofi