DHEA: What is the recommended dose any success?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shanwill, Jul 23, 2008.

1. shanwill

shanwill Member

I've had CFS/ME for the past 5 yrs and have heard a lot about DHEA. Since I live in Canada, I was never able to get this, but just got back from the States and smuggled some in being the rebel I am;)

But I have no idea how much I should be taking.
    Does anyone have experience with this?
    Best time of day?
    With/out meals?
    Any noticeable changes?

2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

This is one of those hormones that really should be measured with a lab test.

One woman on the board used it for a while (under the direction of an FFC), and it gave her a variety of weird symptoms. Increased blood pressure, for one thing. Increased acne or facial hair are other signs that the body is too high in it.

That being said, this is one of the hormones that helped me the most when I first got sick. I always found it far preferable to adrenal extracts too. It got rid of the overall weak feeling I had a lot of the time early in my illness and gave me at least some functionality back. So I can't make a blanket statement that people shouldn't take it either.

It's usually recommended that women in their 30's (which is what I was when I first got sick) shouldn't take this at all. So that's no help.

My level was really low, and so the osteopath I was seeing had me start with 50 mg. Over time my adrenals started working better, and so I eventually decreased the amount.

I would suggest you start with a really small amount, like maybe 5 mg. Use it for a week and see how you do. If nothing bad happens, you could gradually raise it over time and see if it makes you feel better.

I don't think time of day really matters. I took it in the morning, but the effects don't seem to be immediate (as, for instance, is the case with cortisol or thyroid medicine).

I've stopped taking this periodically during my illness, then restarted when it felt like I needed it. It feels like it takes 1-2 days to kick in for me.

I don't think it matters if you take with or without meals.

I became much less depressed, less stimuli-sensitive, less easily worn out, less on edge. My system felt a lot stronger in general. Less of that "falling apart" feeling.

[This Message was Edited on 07/23/2008]
  3. shanwill

shanwill Member

Thank you both for the replies.
    I'm begining to think I should perhaps re-test some blood work first as it has been awhile.
    I will defo start small though.

Well wishes,
  4. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

i recently had a saliva test done, and was found to be soo deficient in Dhea and Cortisol, i am now on 12.5 mg of dhea & 30 mg of cortisol, i get mine from a compounding pharmacy, its been about 4 months now and i can tell a small difference in my energy level.also the DHEA is an slow release. so i just take on ein the morning.

LISALOO New Member

Do not take it unless you know you need it. Or start very slow.

FFC told me to try it, I lost a quarter of my hair, had acne everywhere.