Diabetes Diagnosis now in addition to FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Scarlett65, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Scarlett65

Scarlett65 New Member

Well the rheumatologist says I have diabetes type 2 now and I have to follow this diet. It is very difficult to follow not because I love sugar but because you have this portion limit on whatever you eat and I am starving I think. I better lose weight. Anyway I am on a med for the diabetes now also and have to go get one of those things to check my blood sugar with.
    I have followed the diet strickly for two days now am so hungry and irritable it is unbelieveable and tired too. When I went to my rheumy he said the reason I slept all the time wasnt the drugs I am on but the diabetes well that makes sense but my sugar should be leveled out now and I shouldnt be so tired should I?
    Anyway I guess you can tell I am frustrated and wanting to cheat but I like being alive and heart disease runs thick in my family so I will suffer I guess. I ache all over too guess thats the FM.
  2. wordbyrd

wordbyrd New Member

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in March 2005. I have CFS/FM (since 1990 and 1995, respectively).

It's a big adjustment but you'll make it. I would strongly recommend that you educate yourself about diabetes and work closely with your doctor to find the best treatment for you. There are a number of different medications available, and insulin is also a very good alternative. I had terrible side effects from oral medication (Avandamet, Avandia, Actos), so I elected to start injecting insulin. I inject Humalog at mealtime (3x a day) and Lantus at bedtime. I use insulin pens. They're convenient and the needles are teeny and thin - don't feel a thing! I've lost over 25 lbs. in the past year, and my blood sugars are under control. I eat a balanced diet, watch my carbohydrate intake, eat lots of fresh fruits and vegies, lean meats, fish, that kind of thing. Whole grains are better carb sources than white flour.

An excellent resource for newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetics is a book written by Gretchen Becker, who is a diabetic herself. It's called, "The First Year: Type 2 Diabetes - An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed." You can order it cheap from Amazon.com or Overstock.com. Or, your public library probably has a copy. Highly recommended!

There is an excellent online support group offered through Yahoo groups. It's moderated by an endocrinologist. The people there are friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and supportive. It's called, "Diabetesworld." Here's a link to the site - really easy to sign up:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetesworld/

Take care, and let me know if I can help.

--wordbyrd

3. jjdg

jjdg New Member

Hi,I have FMS,type 2 diabetes,and other stuff too. i have had the diabetes since2000,it's still not under control,but it's my fault too,i get pissed cause i don't feel better and being a fool i stop the meds,oh yeah that will show them!!of course who pays,me i should know better ,i take different oral meds and was on 70/30 insulin,now we are trying lantus 40 units at night,i have been on it for the last 4 days and my sugar seems to be coming down,well my latest bs after fasting(before breakfast) was 111!!! for me that is wonderful, since last week they were all 200+ even 2 weeks ago i hit 430!! the doctor isn't treating me for anything else right now but my sugar,the pain is worse, the fog is worst,he believes its all because of the sugar making things worse.good luck with yours,remember DON'T FORGET YOUR MEDS AND CHECKING YOUR SUGAR. jjdg
    [This Message was Edited on 07/15/2006]
  4. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

It would be great to see you there,There are very experienced people there and they can answer most questions.A lot of us have fibro or cfs as well.Just click on message boards and the choose diabetes it will get better.Linda
  5. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Scarlett,
    I'm so sorry you have Diabetes. I have it, too, along with CFIDS and Fibro and Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Sometimes it is hard, and sometimes it isn't so bad.

About the diet, your stomach should shrink soon. Richard Simmons has some good ideas for snacks, like a bowl filled with already cut and really cold veggies, like cucumbers, radishes, celery, etc...

Also, are you eating every 3 hours? With Diabetes, the idea is to control Carbs and to keep your blood sugar from spiking, either up or down. If it goes up too high, it will also drop too low. Regular snacking helps control this.

About the fatigue, well, diabetes causes fatigue, and so it is added onto CFIDS fatigue, if you have that. After a while you will learn to pace yourself, so that the fatigue can become a friend, giving you time to yourself, which must be taken. this is where you will need to be strong.

Just be sure to really watch your protein intake, to protect your kiidneys. A low protein, low carb and low fat diet is very important. (Fats wil raise blood sugar more than sugar, and it lasts longer).

Good luck. It is not all that bad. There are sugar free sweets, and some fruits like strwberries, are low in sugar. Just keep smiling and try to be positive.

Good luck,and a big hug,
    Terry

6. JLH

JLH New Member

I'm so sorry to hear about the diabetes, too. I am also a type 2 diabetic.

It's tough trying to limit your carbs to just the right amount to keep your sugar under control.

Make sure you get a meter ASAP to test your sugar. Your doctor should have written you a prescription to get one. That way, it is paid for by your insurance, or Medicare if you're on Medicare.

Test your blood when you get up in the AM BEFORE eating. Also test it 2 hrs AFTER eating to see how your system has done with the sugar. Do this for all your meals and keep a record of it for your doc. This way he will know how to adjust your meds.

Visit the diabetes board and ask all the questions that you want!
  7. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

As I stated in my bio, I went to the doc to see what's up with this fatigue and he discovered I had diabetes and that after my numbers came down, my fatigue would diminish. It's been 3 years now and am still waiting for my energy to come back. The fatigue I have is not really related to the diabetes but is something else which they can't figure out.

I started off with diet and exercise then progressed to oral meds but my numbers still soared with an A1c of 11.2! Doc then put me on long acting insulin with little change then on to fast acting to cover meals. That was the answer! but I hated the inconvieniece of haveing to take a shot every time I wanted coffee or something. And still my numbers were quite erratic.

So now I've been on an insulin pump and that was the best decision I've ever made. A1c came down from 11.3 to 7.2 in only a year.

Good luck with you on this difficult road with diabetes and do EVERYTHING your doctor says. You may even want to attend diabetes education classes. It is covered by insurance and was a huge help to me. Ask your doctor about that.