Diabetes Symptoms

Discussion in 'General Health & Wellness' started by Padman63, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Padman63

Padman63 New Member

Hello, Can anyone tell me what the symptoms of T2 diabetes are? My folks both had it but I as of yet do not, should I be testing my sugar levels? Or how do I track my chances of getting it?
  2. James

James Guest

You should post this message on the diabetes board.
    There is lots of folks with lots of knowledge in this area there. On the top links, click "MessageBoards" then select Diabetes.
    t/c
    James
  3. Bridie

Bridie New Member

Hi, You are at risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes at a far earlier age than was once thought. It used to be 40 and over but here in NZ we have children as young as 10 being diagnosed which is really scary! If both parents were type 2 then you should be being tested on a regular basis, especially if you are over-weight, lead a sedentary lifestyle, eat take aways on a regular basis, B.P. and Cholesterol problems, heart disease or eye problems. Feeling
    lethargic, sores that wont heal, visual disturbances and SOMETIMES...NO SYMPTOMS at all are points that shouldn't be ignored when you are in the "at risk" zone. (Once again) in
    NZ we are putting alot of work into catching people BEFORE
    Type 2 presents, Impaired Glucose Tolerence is the precursor of TYPE 2 and if this can be treated it can actually delay or prevent the development of Type 2.
    Hope this is of help. Please remember that Diabetes doesn't kill you, it's the problems associated with poor control that will cause trouble so with good management and plenty of continuing education there is every chance for the "afflicted" to lead a healthy, happy life. Good luck and it's great to read a message from someone who is AWARE that they could be at risk. Check in with your doc. and ask for the necessary tests which could alert you to
    any abnormalities.