Diabetic Recipes for the Holidays

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shep, Dec 18, 2005.

1. shep

shep New Member

The holiday recipe thread is wonderful. I have copied so many recipes and tried several for get togethers and everyone ate every morsel.

But...I am diabetic and so is hubby and a few others in our family. I was hoping someone would start a new thread for Diabetic Recipes.
    I haven't been a diabetic long enough to have any "good, tried and true" recipes. I have tried a few from labels and found them not to be very tasty.
    I am sure with all the good cooks we have here, someone has some that are tasty.
    I am interested in any recipes; veggies, breads, soups , ect...not just desserts.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week and especially a great Christmas weekend with your family. Don't forget who the party is really for!

Love to all
    Shep
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

DIABETIC DESSERT

1/3 c. butter, softened
    1/4 c. brown sugar
    2 tsp. liquid sweetener or 1/3 c. granular sweetner
    1 egg
    1 1/3 c. flour
    3 tbsp. cocoa
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. soda
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1/2 c. skim milk

Combine butter, brown sugar, sweetener, and egg. Beat 2 minutes at high speed. Add remaining ingredients and blend 2 minutes at low speed. Pour into 8 inch square pan and sprinkle with chopped nuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Frost with diabetic whip, if desired.
    Exchange: 9 slices: 1 bread, 2 fats.

COOKIES FOR DIABETICS

1 1/2 c. biscuit mix
    2 eggs
    2 pkgs. low calories dessert pudding (butterscotch)
    4 tbsp. Wesson oil (or other)
    2/3 c. chopped dates
    1/2 c. seedless raisins, if desired
    1 tsp. vanilla

Mix all together. Form into small balls. Place on oiled cookie sheet. Flatten with fork, criss-cross. Bake 8 minutes at 350 degrees.

LEMON MERINGUE PIE

Have Ready:

1 pre-baked / prepared diabetic cookie crust or gram cracker shell

For cookie crust shell, just make your meringue (using granular artificial sugar to sweeten the beaten egg whites), and set aside enough for the topping. With the rest, place in a bowel with crushed diabetic vanilla cookies and stir. Press the mixture into a pie pan and bake somewhere at 350 until browned.

You'll have your oven preheated if you've made the diabetic cookie crust) Preheat oven to 300°F.

Filling:

7 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 tablespoon flour
    1 3/4 cups granulated sweetner
    2 cups water, boiling
    4 egg yolks, beaten
    grated rind of two lemons
    1 tablespoon butter
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup unstrained lemon juice

Sift together cornstarch and flour. Whisk in boiling water, continuing to stir until mixture becomes smooth.

Cook the mixture in top of a double boiler for five minutes. Be sure the water in the double boiler is simmering before the five-minute count begins.

Meanwhile, beat four egg yolks. Stir several tablespoons of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks (to temper), then slowly combine the egg yolks entirely with the remaining hot mixture. Stir in grated lemon rind, butter, salt, and lemon juice.

Stir constantly, continuing to cook until the egg yolks become smooth and thick.

Take off the stove and allow to cool slightly - don't let it become too thick though.

Add the granulated artifical sweetner to the mixture and stir thoroughly.

Pour the filling into the prepared pie shell. Cover with meringue (see below) while still warm, but not hot.

Meringue:

5 egg whites, stiffly beaten
    1/4 teaspoon salt, scant
    9 tablespoons granulated granulated artificial sweetner
    1/4 teaspoon lemon juice

Place salt and lemon juice in bowl and beat egg whites until stiff, but not separating. While beating, gradually add sugar.

Spread meringue on top of lemon filling.

Bake pie at 300°F until the meringue takes on a delicately golden color with lightly browned tops. Allow to cool before serving. Garnish with thinly sliced rounds of lemon dipped into coarse sugar or a fresh sprig of mint.