Diagnosed a few months ago....is is to soon to file for SSDI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by fieldmouse, Sep 20, 2006.

1. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I was diagnosed a few months ago with FM. I can't seem to get any help from my docs about filing for SSDI. I held out as long as I could before quiting my job. Have been off work for six months now. Finally called and quit my job just the other day. Couldn't keep the company hanging any longer. Just not getting any better. Have tried lots of different meds with no relief. Can anyone help me? I don't know anything about SSDI and I am not sure if it isd to soon to file. I want to make sure I am doing the right thing. I am very scared and don't know what to do. I am only 38 and have worked all my life. Any help would be great.....Thanks Fieldmouse
  2. Dainty45

Dainty45 New Member

If you call a social security lawyer, they will let you know how to start the process. Those lawyers don't get paid unless you win your case. Allsup is a good company to deal with, they do everything for you. They will get your records from your doctors, and with you they would do everything over the phone or through the mail. You won't even have to deal with court. So, look up Allsup.com on line.

Good Luck!! SB
  3. willruthie1965

willruthie1965 New Member

SO sorry. Are you married and hubby working so you can file for ssd? I think you should apply right now especially with a dx from Doctor.I think it would be better to get a Rheuatologist They usally make the diagnosis. You need az doctor who will support you through this process ,.My hubby got ssd when he was 36/ WHat did you do for a living?
    If they see you have had a steady job it is easier. You will be denied the first time.Almost everyone is once denied get an attorney the fee is usally 4 thoousand but they wont charge you till you get your money,
    you will get a lump sum of money depending what you made, and how long till you get approved .Please respond back I need your help too, am in sorta same situation but hubby got sick first,I am getting to where I can hardly get to work anymore Ruthie
  4. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I have been in contact with Allsup but they told me that I have to get my doc to say I will be disabled for at least 12 months. I think my family doc would do that but I live in a very small town. The nearest big city is about 100 miles away. I have called every doc in that area to try to find a rheumatologist and no one is taking new patients. I have been looking online and talking to anyone I can find to try to find a doc. I will drive as far as I have to to find a doc that will help me but so far I haven't had any luck. If anyone lives in Oregon and can help me find a doc. Please let me know....Thanks
  5. TerryS

TerryS Member

Hey FieldMouse! I'm curious. When you say that you can't seem to get help from the docs about filing, what exactly do you mean? I've never applied myself, but I've been reading other posts and at different internest sites. Apparently, there is a "letter" or something that your doc needs to write for documentation. Is that what you are referring to? Or do you mean that they are just not supportive in thinking you are disabled?

I hope you can get some assistance with this. I'm worried about the same thing myself. I'm on my company's short term disability right now...but don't know what the future holds for me. Still awaiting a formal diagnosis, but my ENT and neurologist have informally told me it is CFS. I seem to have chronic Epstein Barr.

From what I've read, sounds like it is not too early to go ahead and file...but I think you do have to have the support of your docs to get the disability approved.

GOOD LUCK!
    Terry
  6. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

I am married with three kids. My oldest just had a baby and moved out but I have a 14 yr old and a 10 yr old. My husband works full time as a carpenter thru the union and makes good money but I worked as a manager in a bakery deli with 12 employees under me.I made almost as much money as he did so having me off work the past 6 months has been very hard on us. I am pulling my 401K from my job to pay off my car and that will help us some but the bad thing is that they are taking 38% of it for taxes and penalties...I guess making the bills is more important than worrying about that 38% but it is just sad when you have to give up a great job and lose everything you have worked so hard for. Finding a doc in Oregon to help me or that even understands FM is not easy.I am so scared for my family. I wave tried so many different meds and nothing seems to help. I want to feel like I am helping my husband but I just can't seem to find anything to help the pain or the fatigue....Thanks for your reply....Fieldmouse
  7. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

well my family doc works in an office that don't deal with disability claims at all and my rheumatoligist told me I have to go to my family doc to get anything I need to file. I don't know what to do. I havn't filed yet cuz I am afraid that I need more support from a doc that actually inderstands and cares...Thanks Fieldmouse
  8. hob

hob New Member

Hi Fieldmouse! I work with the most amazing DR. in portland. He changed my life. Look up Dr. Kim Webster off of Lovejoy in Portland. He has helped more than anyone else in the last 7years!
  9. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Hi.... Do you know if he is taking new patients? I have tried a few in Portland and can't seem to find anyone taking new patients....Thanks for the help. I will contact them. Do you happen to have a phone # for there office? Thanks again....Fieldmouse!
  10. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Just google social security disab. and there's all kinds of helpful articles to get you started. Begin immediately. I did call all 3 of my docs and told them I was going to file. They did say they'd support me. I think that's the key to success...although I'm still waiting to hear from SSD.

I did get approved for state disab. (because I was a state worker). It only took a month and a half. Now I have a 5 month waiting per. before I get the first $$$.
    Best of luck...
    Mini