Diagnosed at age 26--who else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by purpleleaves, Aug 26, 2005.

1. purpleleaves

purpleleaves New Member

I know a lot of us are women, but I also wonder from the men...is there a common thread of the year we were diagnosed? I'm 31 now, and it just keeps getting more severe. I notice people talking about how they were really active and considered very healthy--me too. People look at photos of me at age 25 and can't believe the difference between healthy vs. sick for 5 years.

What age were you, and what year was it?

And you know, my heart goes out to all of you with children to raise--I suppose they are a great source of hope at times, but I cannot imagine the stress it takes on your mind and body. Why is this happening to us when we're so young?!
  2. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I was 14 when I came down with mono, and I believe that triggered the CFIDS. However, I wasn't diagnosed with it until June of 2004. I'm 23 now and was 22 at the time. I was diagnosed with fibro when I was 21, however, my fibro symptoms have greatly improved to the point I do not need treatment for it. Thank goodness for small favors.

It is a shame that people suffer with these illnesses so young. I feel jipped of some of the best years of my life because of my disease. I would always be at home sleeping while my friends were out enjoying their teenage years. But I just simply could not get out of bed.

Now, it's not that my CFIDS has necessarily improved, it's that my mindset has improved. I refuse to let my illness stop me from living my life. I've learned how to cope with it better and to rest as soon as I start feeling sick. But in the meantime, I go to nursing school, work part-time and have a wonderful husband and son. Put simply, I've got alot to live for and I will not surrender to CFIDS until the day I die.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  3. purpleleaves

purpleleaves New Member

Kim--my diagnosis came after a devastating bout with mono--those were the months my world changed--I never felt pain like that before. I do think Epstein-Barr is a huge link to all of this. Did you do anything to end up so lucky!! What to you attribute it to? And congratulations!

Julie, it sounds like you and I are on the same timeline, except for the previous knowledge you had--I'm wondering...what were those symptoms in the 20 years prior that you were aware of?
  4. snooker11

snooker11 New Member

I'm 29 now and was diagnosed wiht FMS last year. Things have gotten much better since then. I would say I'm about 65% better. I just have to make sure I don't push it on the days I feel great. Everything in moderation.