Diagnosed w/ fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nannoc, May 17, 2011.

1. nannoc

nannoc New Member

I have a doc appt in 2 wks, They say my appt will last 4hrs! Does this seem right and has anyone else been thru this with there first appt?, And what should I expect and hope for? This pain has to go.
  2. sirfoo

sirfoo New Member

What sort of doc are you seeing, and have they told you what procedures, if any, you'll be having?
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I've never had a 4 hour Dr.'s appt for anything - of course that's not including the waiting room time!!
    What kind of Dr. are you seeing? Give us a little history to how you got to this appt - meaning, are you going in for a diagnosis, or you've been diagnosed, now you're seeing a new Dr.? Did they give you any idea of what they are planning on doing? I know some new offices send home paperwork to be filled out first, then tell a little bit about the appt.

Even my first rheumatologist appt (who confirmed suspected diagnosis), only lasted maybe 45 minutes. He spent a lot of time talking to me, taking history, asking questions, then checked my body for tender points, checked all of my joints etc (things that a rheumatologist would normally look at).

Regardless of what they do at this appt, don't just tell him (her?) how bad your pain is, but many of us have found it more effective to explain how the pain effects our daily lives, i.e., 'I can't sleep; can't cook, clean or do anything with my children etc..." that kind of stuff, only more detailed.

A good relationship with your Dr. is key in this journey!

4. nannoc

nannoc New Member

I haven't been diagnosed yet, this is what the appt is for, and yes 4 hrs will be my first at this long appt. To me sounds like it will be (hopefully) very precise. I will keep u updated for sure.
  5. nannoc

nannoc New Member

I am seeing a Rhumatologist, I have only heard terrific things about him, I will keep u posted, CAN'T WAIT!
    Forgot to add, to touch those so called trigger points or really any spot on you do you have to be firm or real lightly touched to feel it? I guess I am trying to self diagnose![This Message was Edited on 05/24/2011]
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

The points you're referring to are Tender Points. There is a certain amount of pressure that a Dr. is supposed to be able to apply, however it may take barely any touching for you to feel it, be bothered by it. Also don't be surprised if some of them don't bother you. For me, they can fluctuate depending on my day.

Trigger points are different from tender points. By touching them, they "trigger" pain in another area.

Can't wait to hear about your appointment!