Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by petfriend, Jul 25, 2003.

1. petfriend

petfriend New Member

Just came back from my family Dr. and she says she doesn't believe in putting a label on what I have. Says I definitely have arthritis and some symptoms that indicate Fibromyalgia, but regardless of what I have the treatment would remain the same so why "label" it?
    Kind of frustrating for me because I've been racking my brain and searching for what I have so I can deal with it.
    She did prescribe Amitryphiline to help with the depression and to help me sleep and says this will work well with the other meds. I'm on., and has ordered more blood tests for me, so I'll try that.
    Delta, if you see this, that's all I know for now. Thanks for your help and info this morning.
  2. MissRachel

MissRachel New Member

Welcom to the board...

Sorry to hear that your DR is not giving you the help you need. Well, you've come to the right place, evryone here is very supportive and there is a lot of information on this board to help you deal with this DD. When I was first diagnosed my GP didn't know much about FM (and he still doesn't). I have research every aspect of FM and would arm myself with inforamtion before each visit. He still wouldn't give me the pain medication I needed. I was really fed up and tired of sitting in his office and crying for relief. I was fortunated enough to find a new doctor who specializes in FM (he also suffers from FM/CFS). Unfortunatly it took 8 years.

Don't give up, it is a long hard ride and I hope that you get your diagnosis and the treatment you deserve.

Rachel
  3. lilah

lilah New Member

Ask your Dr if she will send you to a rheumatoligist to get a diag.. Since your Doc may not be well-read on fibro, there is a little mystery connected with it. At first my Dr. was skeptical but he sent me to a rheumy and I was diag by him. Then I asked my Dr. to educate himself so he could help me. I went through all of the symptom realted tests and they all were neg. Its important for several reasons. You need to tell your dentist and any other medical person you have contact, it makes a big difference the way you are handled, since trigger points are so easy to set off. I even had it printed on my med alert bracelet. Don't be afraid to ask questions, how you are taken care of unfortunately is up to you.
    I have been taking amitrip for about a year, after being on almost everything else there. And it helps me.
    If you ever have to apply for SSD you need that "label". There is a lot of info out there. A little agression on your part now is important.
    Good luck [[[[[[fibro hugs]]]]]]]] Lilah
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

HI, welcome to the board. I am so sorry to hear about your doctor's attitude. The name is important, it gives us something to work with, and a conformation that we are ill.

I hope she has a change of mind with your illness, and calls it like it is.

Just stopped to welcome you, and do hope we hear from you often.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. BILLCAMO

BILLCAMO New Member

WELCOME TO THE SITE ! I'M NEW TO THE SITE , BUT CAN SEE IT IS GREAT. MY FEELINGS ON CFIDS , FM ,ETC..... SORT OF LIKE HAVING YOUR LIFE THROWN IN A BLENDER & THEN POURED INTO A MOLD MADE OF JELLO... GOOD DRS. HELP & OTHERS TAKE YOU OUT OF THE FRIDGE TO MELT A LITTLE..... I HOPE & PRAY YOU ARE'NT FIGHTING THIS DD ALONE LIKE I AM..... I ALSO HOPE & PRAY YOU ARE IN A MORE OPEN-MINDED AREA OF THE COUNTRY THAN I AM..... YOU WILL HAVE TO FIGHT FOR YOURSELF.... IT IS TOUGH WITH THE PAIN & ALL THE OTHER THINGS YOU MUST FIGHT...BUT YOU MUST !!!!!! NEVER GIVE UP & HANG IN THERE... TAKE CARE & GOOD LUCK !!!!!!!! BILLCAMO. P.S. MY BRAIN FOG CAUSED ME TO FORGET 1 THING.... MY PCP'S RESPONSE TO CFIDS... "IT'S OUT OF MY FIELD OF EXPERTISE.....NOT MUCH I CAN DO......" EVEN AFTER I TOLD HER SHE COULD FIND TRAINING @ CFIDS.ORG.... BUT AT LEAST SHE BELIEVES IN THIS DD'S EXISTANCE..... BYE.
    [This Message was Edited on 07/25/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 07/25/2003]
  6. petfriend

petfriend New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies.
    I feel like I've come to a good place.
    I was talking to my friend tonight who first brought this up and she suggested I contact the rheumatologist who I saw last Fall and tell her about this. I may have to quit work soon and need a label so I can apply for disability.
    I will be 60 next year and may be able to wait until then and claim my Canada pension if I can get things under control.
    Anyway, have a nice weekend everyone.
    Hope to talk to you again soon.
    I did print off some info from a Fibro site and underlined all the related symptoms I have and brought it to her when I went there. She didn't seem too interested in reading it, but I left it on her desk when I left anyway. Maybe she will pick it up and check it out when she has time.[This Message was Edited on 07/25/2003]
  7. bitter-sweet

bitter-sweet New Member

She probably isn't sure of herself so that's why she won't label it. Go to someone else. Furthermore, elavil (amitryptylin) is not as effective for depression in low doses. Lower doses are better for sleep and nerve pain, but higher doses are needed for treatment of depression. I am on elavil and paxil which is another antidepressant that has been found to be of benefit to some FMS sufferers. You don't mention the other meds that you're on. If you don't get satisfaction from her, move on. I wish you the best.
  8. petfriend

petfriend New Member

I just sent an e-mail to a friend to tell her what the Dr. said and she said she was diagnosed with Fibro and said that in her opinion it's a catch-all phrase and Dr.s who use the term Fibromyalgia don't know what they're talking about. ????? She says she can help me, but I'm afraid she's just trying to sell me something because she's involved in a company that markets health products. Looks like this is going to get complicated.
    Anyway, will keep talking to everyone I can and get to the bottom of it.
    I know everyone is different and so I want to compile as much info as I can and see what works for me.
    re the meds I'm on, I'm taking 600mg a day of neurontin, 300 in the morning and 300 at night and 1 arthrotec 75/200 in the morning. Then just taking supplements like Cal/mag, glucocemine, vit E, C, potassium and a multi vitamin.
    I take over the counter acetaminophen w/coedine for pain.
    The Dr. gave me 10mg amitrypholine and said I can take 2 if I need them.
    So there's my story. I'm not a person who just gives up, but will fight to help myself. I know you have to do that these days because the Dr's are so overworked and stressed themselves they can't possibly treat people on a one to one basis. My Dr. never seems to know who I am when I go to see her, although I'm making myself known now!!!
    Anyway, enough for now. Thanks again for the info and support.
    Irene
  9. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

a referral to a rheumatologist. Period. dolsgirl