Dicounted Cellular Service for People W/ Disability???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by shalimac, Oct 23, 2005.

1. shalimac

shalimac New Member

An acquaintance of mine mentioned that people with disabilities can recieve cellular telephone service discounts. I've not heard this before. Does anyone know anything about this$
  2. pywacket

pywacket New Member

don't know about that but you can get a discount on your home home. it's called lifeline in my state. would like to know about the cell phone.
    lisa
  3. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

I work(ed) for the 'leading American communications company'. Blah. I'd name names but it's against my contract and well, I still get my disability benefits through them ;)

In most states even the lifeline service on land lines was useless, nevermind cell phones.

Literally, the money it 'saves' isn't even enough to buy a coffee with. An account that I handled specifically was a low income diabetic woman with 3 children - all kids under the age of 5, and 2 of them severely handicapped.

Head office only allowed me to offer her $1.95 monthly off of her phone bill. She was still required to pay FCC surcharges, 911 access fee, number portability fee etc.

All states are not required to offer the 'lifeline' and most especially don't offer it on cell phones.

Sorry there isn't anything positive to tell.
    Amanda
  4. goldielocks

goldielocks New Member

ive never heard of getting help with celluar service.Buti was offered a discount from my current 60 monthly down to 1095 i think a month.but could only call nos that were same as my first 3 nos.Then would be charged long distance.But if u dont talk alot its very much worth italmost 50 dollars savings.And if u want talk family or friend just call say call me back so u would just be charged a few pennies.Hope this helps youshalimac
  5. JLH

JLH New Member

Never heard of any discounts on cellular service--since it's a type of "luxury" service.

For regular "land lines", I have heard of the "lifeline" alert, but I always thought it was for people with "life or death" conditions like kidney dialysis, etc., so that their phone service would be fixed before others, if a bunch of telephones were out of service -- that is what it is on our electric service -- but it had nothing to do with discounts.

I think I will check into this, though, with my land line phone company.
  6. shalimac

shalimac New Member

When I see my acquaintance again, I'll get details and post them here.
    Thanks to all of you for fhe info on land lines...didn't know that either, but I'll check into it and let everyone know the terms of such.
  7. pywacket

pywacket New Member

i just looked at our only cell company and they offer it. i live in a rural area but they are over most of the us. the websit states that it should be around $8.25 a month. i have never seen it at any other company so who knows. don't know if i can put the company name here so better safe than sorry.
    lisa
    [This Message was Edited on 06/01/2006]
  8. mildred623

mildred623 New Member

I know here where I live Verizon cellular offers a discount for cell phones. Not sure how much though as I have another carrier. As for home phones the plan here in Ohio where I live is called the USA plan. I get my home phone for $8.10 a month. It would normally be over $30.00 a month.
  9. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

I just went on my cell phone co's website & they offer "lifeline" discounts too. interesting. AMY
  10. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I have lifeline service on my landline phone and I think it saves over $10 a month. If you are on disability, that's a lot of money. It costs $6 - $8 a month, I can't remember exactly, but I think the regular rate is over $16 a month.

So it's well worth looking into, it's based on income, not life and death.

Also, the utility companies have discounts for people on low incomes, usually around 20%. It all adds up.

Mary
  11. pywacket

pywacket New Member

there is also a program here that helps pay for up to 50% of the hook up. it's called link up. you have to met the income levels and such.
    lisa