Did a tender point exam on my 8 y/o daughter

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kaiasmom, Apr 5, 2006.

1. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I have suspected that my poor little girl has fibro for awhile now. This year has been such a struggle for her. She has fallen way behind in school & will be repeating 3rd grade. She complains of aches all over, all the time. She has major anxiety issues, stomach aches all the time, is always really tired, can't run & play at school cause it hurts her legs & makes her too tired.

So, last night I decided to do the tender point exam on her, to see how she did. Well, she was squirming off the bed with each point I touched. And, I could feel her muscles - like mine on a much smaller scale - knotted & ropey.

So, time to call the pediatrician & get this ball rolling too. From the research I've done, children that are treated have a much better success rate than adults, and some are even deemed "cured", so I am hopeful.

It just breaks my heart. It is so hard being a regular kid. One good thing is that her current teacher wants to have her again next year, and she is actually very familiar with fibro. So, at least if we need some accomodations, we shouldn't have any problems.

Well, I suppose this is long enough. I just don't know who else to talk to about this. It try talking to my fiance, and he really doesn't want to think about it, so he just sits there.

Thanks for listening.

Leanne
  2. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Leanne:
    You made all the right moves!
    Good thinking and a fast response from you.
    You are on the right track, but I hope and pray your daughter may not have FM. If she does: you caught it in time and I think you are right- she may have a better job at learning to copeing with this disorder.

n.f.
  3. mom4three

mom4three New Member

My 9 year old I suspected as well. We took her to neuro doc and he too suspect. He want her on neurontin. I have yet to Fill rx. Maybe it is because I so don't want this to be tru but I know it is. I have felt it to be true for a long time. She is just not as active as othe children and she gets hurt more then the other kids and complains she is tired more then the others.

And no she is not over weight or anything like that. In fact she is almost 10 and only weighs 64 pounds but is 67 inches tall.

So I feel your pain. I would talk to your doctor about it if you have a close doctor relationship. it is a new road to travel.

I am here for you if you want to chat:)
    Tracy
  4. deb06

deb06 New Member

I am so sorry. How you must hurt for your little girl. I do worry about passing this on somehow to my children- especially my daughter.

It is my son that has my type A personality and has ocd and anxiety problems.

My daughter (girls have a higher incidence of fibro) thankfully has a more easy going personality. So hopefully she won't get it.

I hurt for you. I believe if I would have known what was going on and would have gotten proper treatment early on- I would not have ended up disabled.

Your daughter is so lucky to have you for a mom. A mom who is educated and empathic and can totally relate. She is blessed to have you who will get her the proper early treatment and hopefully prevent a lot of symptoms from developing and hopefully turn things around.

In my opinion- if I would have gotten on anxiety medication in my youth- I might not have gotten full blown fibro. I believe most of what we have is totally stress related.

I would look into getting her treated by a psychiatrist- maybe put on medication, and also a child psycologist.

I have have my son in to see both and he is on Zoloft. His anxiety, perfectionism, and OCD tendencies are now under control.

I will pray for you and your little girl. Let us know how things go.

I do feel for you so much.

Luv, Deb
  5. mom4three

mom4three New Member

How often does he drink this tea. I would love to have tae try it and see if she likes it. Me too lol.

She will be taking Neurontin 100 mg.
  6. kaiasmom

kaiasmom New Member

I really appreciate the support. I may get some of that Calm tea - I actually like it - used to work at Starbucks some time ago. Maybe that would help her - and me. Anxiety is a HUGE problem for her - I swear - she takes on the weight of the world - not good for an 8 year old.

I will be very cautious with any medicaions prescribed - she is just a little girl. Luckily I am very experienced in this field - I can't imagine trying to figure this out without having gone through it myself & with the self-educating I've done. I'm sure I'll be leading the doctors along for the first part anyways. I wouldn't think the normal pediatrician would have much of a clue.

We have only seen her new pediatrician once, but we really liked her, and I'm sure she will work with us. I will be sure to bring in some materials with me for supporting facts & request some blood tests & MRI/X-rays to rule out other possibilities.

I have already met with a phsychologist for her & will take her in when we return from our trip. So, that ball is already rolling. I did discuss this with him too & he agreed that it is time to see the pediatrician to see what is going on.

Well, thanks again. I will keep you all posted. We won't be able to tackle this until we get back from North Carolina late in the month, but we'll get the ball rolling then & go from there. With Kaiser I know it won't be a fast process, but I suppose there's no rush.

Take care,

Leanne
  7. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

I don't know if your school system in your area is like it is hear in Texas, but here we were able to get a special padding put onmy son's seat then he was also allowed to get up and walk around where it wouldn't bother the other children. You may want to ask about some of these things and she made need an aid to walk with her or just another student without any physical problems. I am so sorry that she is going through this and am sorry you have to see her go through this but I would really see about those paddings in her seat. Have you sat in a school chair lately,Ouch! I think my son may have it he has alot of the symptoms of it but just haven't had him checked. I know he has juvinile arthritis. But he is really tender in his muscles so I think fms is there too. Good Luck, Pamela
    [This Message was Edited on 04/05/2006]
  8. mom4three

mom4three New Member

We got the tea and she drinks it at night before she goes to bed as well as me... She seems to be in a better mood.. No joke.. Wow I like this tea.. I live here in Oregon home of Tazo tea so I can actually buy it at any store:) Cheaper. So tell your son we like it:)
  9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

You may want to make sure that she gets Adaptive PE at school too, as she calso could have low grade Juvenille arthritis. My 11 year old has FM and JRA too and some of the stuff they want them to do in gym is dreadful for them. Even with the APE we have to watch them.

Good luck

Love Anne C